Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: High school yearbook misidentifies student as 'Isis', claims it's just a typo

Default High school yearbook misidentifies student as 'Isis', claims it's just a typo

California high school student wearing hijab incorrectly identified as ‘Isis’ in yearbook*

BY JASON SILVERSTEIN NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Updated: Sunday, May 8, 2016, 11:25 AM A A A
    facebook549Tweetemail
    SHARE THIS URL

ABC
    Los Osos High School in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

Here’s a horrible high school mistake to remember forever.

A California teenager, who wore a hijab for her yearbook photo, was mortified to see herself incorrectly identified inside as “Isis.”

A page from the Los Osos High School yearbook listed the student as an 11th grader named “Isis Phillips.”

The student’s actual name is Bayan Zehlif — meaning the yearbook not only equated her with the world’s most feared terror group, but didn’t even get her surname right.

“I am extremely saddened, disgusted, hurt and embarrassed that the Los Osos High School yearbook was able to get away with this,” Zehlif, who says on social media she is Palestinian, wrote on Facebook Saturday.

“Apparently I am ‘Isis’ in the yearbook. The school reached out to me and had the audacity to say that this was a typo. I beg to differ, let’s be real.”

A student at the Rancho Cucamonga high school who worked on the yearbook insisted the identity crisis was an honest mistake, saying the school did indeed have a student named Isis Phillips, who transferred earlier this year.

"We have a campus of 3200 students. Their are going to be imperfections (sic)," the student,*Trevor Santellan, told the Daily News in a Twitter message.

He said he believed Zehlif's reaction was "out of proportion."

I guess I'm Isis in the yearbook... pic.twitter.com/hMc0dVu8dM

— βΔΨΔΠ (@BayanZehlif) May 7, 2016

"If anything, she's being racist against herself because she misinterpreted it and not us," Santellan said.

"Because we thought of it as a beautiful name that parents gave to a kid. She obviously didn't."

The yearbook committee offered an apology online — but still failed to explain how the blunder happened.

“It is our duty to represent the students of Los Osos High School and by mis-tagging and giving the incorrect name, we failed to do so,” the apology said.

“We should have checked each name carefully in the book and we had no intention to create this misunderstanding...We are currently working in coordination with the school and district office to remedy this situation.”

The Chaffey Joint Union High School District said it is “investigating” the incident.

Zehlif did not immediately return messages from the Daily News.

jsilverstein@nydailynews.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2629251

"We have a campus of 3200 students. Their are going to be imperfections (sic)," the student,*Trevor Santellan, told the Daily News in a Twitter message.
    I think a suitable punishment for this guy would be for his yearbook photo to have the name "Absolute F*cking Moron" for the next 4 school years.
    Kittylady, garysgirl1999 and panic like this.

I'm sure it was an 'accident'

The photo in the yearbook was of the girl at some sort of activity, probably from that section of the yearbook, not a head shot from the alphabetical listing of students section. Apparently the school is claiming there's another student named Isis Phillips, and this girl got mis-tagged as the other girl. I do think that's a plausible error if the two girls were at the same event and got mis-tagged, or were on the same page. Remember before it was a terrorist organization name, Isis was a not uncommon girls' name, so it would not be strange for a high school girl to have it. It's only dropped off the baby name lists in the past two or so years.

ISIS the organization is an acronym, and they didn't spell it in all caps in the yearbook, they spelled it like a name. They also didn't call her "Isis [her last name]" or made up a name including Isis, it's actually the name of a student. And the girl is not alleging any other harassment from students or the school for being Muslim. So until they can prove it was deliberate sabotage, I think it's a possible overreaction. I actually think Isis is a pretty name and it sucks that it's tainted in retrospect, and it's kind of unfair to the women named Isis to make it so toxic. She wasn't identified as "Isis Tara Rist" or anything, it's the legitimate name of another girl who attended the school.
    OrangeSlice and panic like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I work with a girl named Isis. When I was tell my brother something about her, he said "her name is Isis?" I didn't even think about it being the terrorist organization. I've worked with her for 15 years and I just don't put the two together.
    darksithbunny likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I agree with nono.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Yeah, nono's clarification makes this not as bad as I originally thought. Whatever happened to teacher's reviewing this stuff, though?
    panic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    The photo in the yearbook was of the girl at some sort of activity, probably from that section of the yearbook, not a head shot from the alphabetical listing of students section. Apparently the school is claiming there's another student named Isis Phillips, and this girl got mis-tagged as the other girl. I do think that's a plausible error if the two girls were at the same event and got mis-tagged, or were on the same page. Remember before it was a terrorist organization name, Isis was a not uncommon girls' name, so it would not be strange for a high school girl to have it. It's only dropped off the baby name lists in the past two or so years.

ISIS the organization is an acronym, and they didn't spell it in all caps in the yearbook, they spelled it like a name. They also didn't call her "Isis [her last name]" or made up a name including Isis, it's actually the name of a student. And the girl is not alleging any other harassment from students or the school for being Muslim. So until they can prove it was deliberate sabotage, I think it's a possible overreaction. I actually think Isis is a pretty name and it sucks that it's tainted in retrospect, and it's kind of unfair to the women named Isis to make it so toxic. She wasn't identified as "Isis Tara Rist" or anything, it's the legitimate name of another girl who attended the school.

Thank you for clarifying what happened & giving the rest of the story! It totally changes the context.

The other girl who was actually named Isis apparently no longer attends the school, or so the story above and other stories I've read regarding this incident say. I can see how someone can be misidentified if it wasn't in the alphabetical listing section, but it still seems very coincidental that the student wearing the hijab just happened to be the one misidentified with a name which, unfortunately, has a negative connotation these days. Like Mo said, whatever happened to double-checking by teachers? If a yearbook staff member takes pictures at an event, shouldn't he or she obtain the names of the people in the pictures if they're planning on id'ing them? Also, I think the quote by the yearbook staff student was a little pissy, saying she was being racist against herself...

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post

That's what the school is claiming, but do you have another source other than this story that there is a girl called Isis Phillips who looks enough like this girl to be misidentified? It might be an honest mistake by the school but I would need to see more evidence before I gave them a pass.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

if they'd called her isis and then her actual last name i could see how this might not be an accident but they called her isis phillips so i doubt this was intentional.
    that said, i know a couple of isis, it's a real name, not very common in the US but it exists, so the terror organisation shouldn't be the only thing people associate with the name.
    sluce and panic like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The article above said Isis Phillips transferred out of the school "earlier this year," which could be as recent as a couple of months ago. This is probably the yearbook for the entire school year.

When I worked on the yearbook in high school, it was a student run thing with a faculty advisor. We had a couple of mistakes because we used the previous staff's templates as a basis to modify everything, which included the names, and not everyone erased everything like they were supposed to. Obviously most of the student body stayed the same so there was a thought we shouldn't have to delete everybody's names, just cut and paste out those who moved, new students, etc. A couple of times I remember the names of kids who transferred the PREVIOUS year got left on by mistake in clubs they belonged to because of that. There was also having to rely on clubs for their lists of memberships, and trying to identify students in activity shots that may have been taken months ago by a photographer who didn't think to get their names. In this situation, maybe this girl and Isis Phillips belonged to the same club, or were at the same event, or the photographer misidentified her, or Isis' name was leftover on the page and got attached to the wrong photo. Maybe they look alike, who knows.

As for teachers, I doubt they have the time or urge to go over every name in the yearbook (ours certainly didn't). Plus some teachers may not know every single kid by name in the high school. Ours relied more on us as students to identify our fellow students. Course our faculty advisor was also a coach and did not give a shit, aside from checking the photos for the very obvious stuff (curses, nudity, lewd gestures).
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Here's the picture; I believe Bayan herself posted this "corrected" version, and asked others to make the same correction:

panic likes this.

My first name is very close to a boy's name if you leave a letter out and that's just what happened in one of my yearbooks.

Well that's not an activity shot, thats a headshot. And giving a rundown of your high school yearbook experience isn't a source.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information