Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By sprynkles
  • 1 Post By PinkSharpie
  • 5 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 1 Post By Kittylady
  • 1 Post By PinkSharpie
  • 1 Post By faithanne

Thread: Extremely Self-Actualized Wedding Photographer Took 15 Photos, Chilled in Photo Booth

Default Extremely Self-Actualized Wedding Photographer Took 15 Photos, Chilled in Photo Booth

Extremely Self-Actualized Wedding Photographer Took 15 Pictures, Chilled in the Photo Booth

Ellie Shechet
    Yesterday 5:00pm
    Filed to: inspo

Not the wedding photographer in question, but definitely a gal having a good time.

Every day, I come across stories about inspiring women living their lives with courage. The gal blowin’ my mind today? 20-year-old UK “aspirational photographer” Chloe Johnston, who reportedly ruined one couple’s wedding and is being sued to recover her $850 fee.

The New York Post reports by way of The Mirror and The Sun that Paul and Chareen Wheatley, a Leeds couple, hired Johnston after seeing an ad on Facebook and thinking, hm, yas! Her!

LOOKING FOR A FEMALE, RELIABLE, WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER!?
    Look no further.
    Here at C Johnston Photography I have a passion for what I do, which showcases throughout gorgeous wedding memories I have captured.
    I have photographed different weddings, be that religious or non-religious, as well as various cultures and traditions. I have met some wonderful couples along the way, and I hope to carry this through.
    I base my packages around you, to ensure their personalised and all your needs are met. With prices starting from only £125, you know you can get your big day captured, and remembered.
    Text/Call or E-mail me today for a quick quote.
    I’m more than willing to meet in advance to show wedding’s in more depth and details.
    Kind regards,
    Chloe Johnston,
    C Johnston Photography

Johnston’s Facebook profile and photography page appear to have been shut down, but her website is still up:

Screenshot, Chloe Johnston’s professional website.

After paying Johnston, “We couldn’t get in touch with her again and we didn’t think she was going to turn up until she sent us a message at 10 p.m. the night before our wedding,” Paul Wheatley said. She reportedly showed up 45 minutes late to the wedding armed with a single Nikon DSLR, walked the couple down a muddy path that ruined the bride’s dress, hurt the groom’s knee, and posed for “at least 4" pictures in the photo booth (seen here).
    The couple claim they only received 15 pictures from her, most of which were bad. “They are awful, most of them aren’t taken properly with some people partly cut out,” Paul said. “The quality of the images were rubbish, too.”
    “Throughout the whole thing she looked very chilled out and in the evening I hardly saw anything of her,” he continued. “I couldn’t believe the cheek of what she’d done, instead of concentrating on our reception she was messing around taking selfies at our expense.”
    Johnston told Caters News Agency that she only went into the photo booth for a few minutes because “there was nothing going on,” adding that she was happy with the pictures: “I did everything I could have and more at that wedding, I was happy with their photographs and they were.”
    The couple has reportedly gotten most of their money back after a bailiff tracked Johnston down. Love u, girl!

Extremely Self-Actualized Wedding Photographer Took 15 Pictures, Chilled in the Photo BoothÂ*
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Haha. This out of focus shot was on the website. It looks like a decapitated elf.

sluce and Brookie like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Bronze Member

If they really thought she wouldn't show up, why didn't they book another photographer? If she hadn't shown up were they just going to do without pictures of their big day? Yeah she turned out to be a crap photographer and she should have taken more pictures, but it seems to me the writing was on the wall.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

^what PinkSharpie said.

She's totally unprofessional and the couple are idiots for hiring her and sticking with her when it started to go bad.
    armed with a single Nikon DSLR,
    That's not the problem. More cameras don't magically transform you into a better photographer.
    walked the couple down a muddy path that ruined the bride’s dress, hurt the groom’s knee
    boo fricken hoo. Was this at gunpoint? Why didn't they say no?

Team nobody.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I want to be sympathetic, but what were they thinking when they hired a person who put up a barely literate advertisement and doesn't know the difference between their and they're, and wedding's and weddings and, and... the whole thing is a mess! I'm not convinced she can even understand her camera manual.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by PinkSharpie View Post
    If they really thought she wouldn't show up, why didn't they book another photographer? If she hadn't shown up were they just going to do without pictures of their big day? Yeah she turned out to be a crap photographer and she should have taken more pictures, but it seems to me the writing was on the wall.
    I would guess that they were on a very tight budget and, having already paid her, didn't have enough money in the pot to hire someone else, especially at short notice.

A lot of photography students do wedding, christening and other shoots to supplement their student loans and to get experience/portfolio shots, but the majority take it seriously and do as professional job as they can for a knock down price. However I have seen first hand what a mess can be made by someone who thinks that it's quick and easy money and doesn't give a fuck about the job. My friend asked their niece to cover their daughter's 21st and she pretty much did the same - ran off a few poor shots for the look of it, got drunk, ate up the buffet and then disappeared half way through the night. My other half ended up getting hold of the pictures and correcting, editing and cropping them so my friend's daughter had at least some half-decent pictures.

Weddings are not simple to shoot. I've done it at a family wedding and it's harder than people think - you have to keep the camera active all the time for the set piece and candid shots, be in the right places while being discreet enough not to distract people and must expect to fill an SD card over the course of the day and evening to get enough that are useable and shareable.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Bronze Member

I understand that they might not have had it in the budget but if they really thought she wouldn't show up, why not have a backup plan? Even if you ask one of your guests to take some pictures so that you have something.I don't blame them for trying to get their money back but what was the plan if she hadn't been there? That's my whole problem with the story.

ETA: I know shooting a wedding has to be hard. There is so much going on and the couple will want shots of EVERYTHING. I guess what I'm saying is that I would think they would have come up with some sort of back up plan, no matter how crappy, so that they at least had some posed shots of their big day.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

^ Where does it say they didn't? They're not suing because she ruined their wedding or they have no memories of it, they just want their money back.

But they were idiots for hiring her based on her shitty ad and "portfolio". Still doesn't mean she should keep the money though.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thread Information