Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Retired NYPD cop on disability pension now a sheriff near Miami runs marathons

Default Retired NYPD cop on disability pension now a sheriff near Miami runs marathons

NYPD to probe former cop on disability who's working full time in Florida

BY Graham Rayman
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 6:31 PM

Courtesy Christopher DePaolis, who retired after tearing up his knee in a foot pursuit, had no problem bragging about his marathon running on his Facebook page.

The NYPD will probe a former cop who is reaping fat annual disability payments for an injured knee, though he now runs marathons and is a full-time sheriff’s deputy in Florida.
    The Police Pension Fund has referred the case of Christopher DePaolis to the NYPD, the agency's executive director said Wednesday.
    PPF head Kevin Halloran said new info suggests “the member is no longer disabled.”
    DePaolis is under scrutiny because he received an NYPD disability pension for an injured knee, and then moved to Florida and took up distance running. Earlier this year, he was hired by the Broward County Sheriffs Department as a deputy.
    DOI OPENS PROBE INTO NYPD DISABILITY PENSION SYSTEM
    Courtesy Christopher DePaolis, retired NYPD cop awarded a disability pension after tearing up his knee in a foot pursuit, now works as a sheriff near Miami and runs marathons.

The NYPD pension gives DePaolis more than $80,000 a year. His Broward County salary is more than $52,000 annually.

A spokesman for the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Union declined to comment.
    Representatives of the five police unions, the mayor, the police commissioner and the comptroller were present at the trustees meeting.
    The Board was told that the fund will pay out an estimated $2.3 billion next fiscal year in pension contributions.
    The Broward County Sheriffs Department is also conducting a review.
    The Inspector General overseeing the NYPD is looking into the broader issue of questionable NYPD disability pension cases, as the Daily News reported Wednesday

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2496191
    Free Charmed.

This seems strange. Surely, Broward County would have contacted NYPD before hiring the guy. Wouldn't NYPD then tell the county that this guy was on a disability pension for an injury he received while on duty? Or does Broward County not verify the sheriffs they hire?
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Or does Broward County not verify the sheriffs they hire?
    Florida.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

And I'm originally from Broward.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Did you ever convince your boss that people have two hips?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I guess they did.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    This seems strange. Surely, Broward County would have contacted NYPD before hiring the guy. Wouldn't NYPD then tell the county that this guy was on a disability pension for an injury he received while on duty? Or does Broward County not verify the sheriffs they hire?
    Real life Banshee!!!
    Trixie likes this.

In my current city, police officers and other "hazardous" duty service people can qualify for disability pay if they are 10% disabled. A 10% disability isn't much really...it can be for a number of things, but all they need is a medical doctor to sign an statement that they are disabled and then they can apply for disability retirement. Let's say a lady from here get's a disability retirement because a doctor says she is 10% disabled...she may then move to another city where they don't consider anything under 25% disabled. She could go back to work there and still draw her retirement. It happens all the time. All the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    In my current city, police officers and other "hazardous" duty service people can qualify for disability pay if they are 10% disabled. A 10% disability isn't much really...it can be for a number of things, but all they need is a medical doctor to sign an statement that they are disabled and then they can apply for disability retirement. Let's say a lady from here get's a disability retirement because a doctor says she is 10% disabled...she may then move to another city where they don't consider anything under 25% disabled. She could go back to work there and still draw her retirement. It happens all the time. All the time.
    The amount of money he's getting makes it seem like he was assessed as a lot more than 25% disabled.

Disability claims are often bullshit and it is a huge drain on our budgets. During college, I worked a job where they hired people with disabilities. The one guy had accidentally shot himself leaving him paralyzed from the waist down and limited use of one arm. He got a van, went to classes to learn how to drive and use the computer, and was one of the best employees there. Nurses came to the office twice a day to change his bags and keep him clean. I heard he died a few years ago and was sad. Then I see people who sit home and collect for some of the most ridiculous reasons possible. I don't know how they live with themselves. They also often the people I hear bitching about lazy people on welfare... The government should hire more investigators to get these fake claims off the public funds.
    holly, MohandasKGanja and Novice like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Well, if the guy's a fraudster he's not a very smart one. Why would he risk an $80k/yr pension for a $52k/yr job?

Then again, the people running the pension fund aren't very smart either. How hard would it be to run a check on his SS# and see if any wages are being reported?

Again, the guy is either incredibly stupid or he didn't think he was doing anything wrong.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Mo, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. He doesn't get 25% of his salary for being disabled, he gets the whole pension for proving that he has at least a 10% disability personally. Does that make sense? Let's say you accidentally cut off 2 fingers on your left hand. If you are a police officer, your doctor may say you are now 10% disabled. That's enough to trigger an early medical/disability retirement from the system which results in you getting your full pension. But...and here's the tricky part...would you still be able to work another job without those 2 fingers? Yes...yes, you would. Would another police department outside your current pension system hire you...they might if their threshold for a disability is higher than the 10% in which you retired.

Mo, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. He doesn't get 25% of his salary for being disabled, he gets the whole pension for proving that he has at least a 10% disability personally. Does that make sense? Let's say you accidentally cut off 2 fingers on your left hand. If you are a police officer, your doctor may say you are now 10% disabled. That's enough to trigger an early medical/disability retirement from the system which results in you getting your full pension. But...and here's the tricky part...would you still be able to work another job without those 2 fingers? Yes...yes, you would. Would another police department outside your current pension system hire you...they might if their threshold for a disability is higher than the 10% in which you retired.
    Actually, no it doesn't make sense. I realize that according to statute or rules in place that might be the determination, but in the example you mentioned, being a cop is more than just being out on the beat and being able to pull a trigger. Cops get put on desk detail all the time when there is a shooting. He could have been put on permanent desk detail. Instead, he gets full pension for a disability that apparently leaves him able to do thing (run marathons) that most of the American public is not physically capable of doing.

The idea that someone could get 10% disabled but draw full disability only computes if you have a really strong union that forged an agreement that enables such a scenario in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Actually, no it doesn't make sense. I realize that according to statute or rules in place that might be the determination, but in the example you mentioned, being a cop is more than just being out on the beat and being able to pull a trigger. Cops get put on desk detail all the time when there is a shooting. He could have been put on permanent desk detail. Instead, he gets full pension for a disability that apparently leaves him able to do thing (run marathons) that most of the American public is not physically capable of doing.

The idea that someone could get 10% disabled but draw full disability only computes if you have a really strong union that forged an agreement that enables such a scenario in the first place.
    I didn't say that what is happening was right...just that it is currently the way it is. Of course, the system makes no sense, but this explains how someone who is on full disability from one police department can move south and take a job at another one while still drawing his/her disability retirement.

I didn't say that what is happening was right...just that it is currently the way it is. Of course, the system makes no sense, but this explains how someone who is on full disability from one police department can move south and take a job at another one while still drawing his/her disability retirement.
    Right. The system is incredibly dysfunctional. I could have sworn that dirtbag Chicago cop who was just convicted of killing one of us two wives who died mysteriously was also on some kind of disability early retirement at an incredibly high compensation level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information