• 6 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Man secretly divorces wife and doesn’t tell her for 20 years

Elite Member

Default Man secretly divorces wife and doesn’t tell her for 20 years

Man secretly divorces wife and doesn’t tell her for 20 years

Australian Women's Weekly
    26/01/2016

© Provided by Australian Women's Weekly

A wife is suing her husband after she discovered he divorced her months into their marriage and kept it a secret for 20 years.

Gabriel Villa, now 90, married Christina Carta, now 59, in New York in 1994 but just months later, he secretly flew to the Dominican Republic to get a divorce to protect his considerable assets.

Once there, he hired lawyers for both himself and her and told a court that life with her was “unbearable”.

He then flew home to their Manhattan apartment, where he and Christina lived together happily as man and wife for the next two decades, until a tax bill arrived without her name on it.

She hired a lawyer to investigate the omission and discovered the hushed-up divorce. She is now seeking to have the divorce nullified.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to overturn or nullify the divorce. If he did it without her knowing and represented her, it's fraud and a no-brainer. Fucking bastard.

How is the Dominican Republic allowed to preside over the divorce of two US citizens? I mean, I've heard of going to Vegas for a quickie divorce, but outside the country entirely?

Isn't this kinda like what Mick Jagger did to Jerry Hall? Ooops sorry honey we're not really married.

If I was this woman, I'd have the divorce nullified, then I'd file for divorce and go after those "considerable assets".
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

She deserves some kind of pain and suffering compensation, too. I mean, look at him.

he looks like a snake
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

sounds like pretty obvious fraud. what an asshole.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

What a smarmy asshole! She deserves to take him to the cleaners for this shady business.

DOesn't BOTH husband and wife have to sign divorce papers before it's considered legal?

If not, we'd have a civilization full of people who don't know they're divorced...

SOunds shady...
    Go Habs Go!!

NY is one of the only states that recognizes Dominican Republic divorces. Their divorce laws are bizarre. You don't have to be a resident to get divorced there. There is no waiting period either. And only one party needs to be present for the divorce as long as the other party signs a power of attorney form, which of course officials in the DR have no real way of confirming. So I am guessing that he forged a power of attorney form- or paid them off so that he didn't need one- and then got the divorce.

He will lose this in court, I believe, because he isn't going to be able to prove that she signed the power of attorney required for the divorce. Unless, of course, he somehow duped her into giving him power of attorney.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Thread Information