Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake Hits Asia

SVZ

Default Earthquake Hits Asia

This aerial view shows a collapsed building in
    Islamabad following a strong earthquake on Saturday.

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - A powerful 7.6-magnitude earthquake reduced villages to rubble in Pakistan and India on Saturday, killing more than 160 people and injuring hundreds. Pakistan’s army described the damage as widespread and said it included villages buried in quake-induced landslides.
    Pakistan’s Geo television quoted Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan, the Pakistani army’s chief spokesman, as saying 1,000 people were feared dead. Pakistani army officials who flew over quake-hit areas reported seeing hundreds of devastated homes in villages directly north of the capital Islamabad.
    “The damage and casualties could be massive and it is a national tragedy,” Sultan told The Associated Press. “The is the worst earthquake in recent times.”
    The U.S. Geological Survey said on its Web site the quake hit at 8:50 a.m. local time and had a magnitude of 7.6. It was centered about 60 miles northeast of Islamabad in the forested mountains of Pakistani Kashmir. The quake was also felt in Afghanistan.
    Extensive damage
    Damage was extensive in the disputed Himalayan territory divided between India and Pakistan. The Indian-controlled portion reported 157 killed, including 14 soldiers who perished in a landslide.
    Vijay Bakaya, Jammu-Kashmir state’s chief secretary, said at least 600 people were injured when houses and buildings collapsed across Jammu-Kashmir.
    “These are the current reports of casualties. The figure may rise as details come in about damaged houses and the numbers (of dead) could go up,” he said.
    The quake toppled a 10-story apartment building in Islamabad and dozens of people were feared trapped in the rubble. Rescuers pulled out at least 20 injured people. Some residents were Westerners, a building employee said.
    'It was like hell'
    A man named Rehmatullah who lived nearby said he saw dust from the buckled building from his bathroom window.
    “I rushed down, and for some time you could not see anything because of the dust. Then we began to look for people in the rubble,” said Rehmatullah, who only gave one name. “We pulled out one man by cutting off his legs.”
    “It was like hell,” said Nauman Ali, who lived in a nearby top-floor apartment. “It was terrible. I was tossed up in my bed and the ceiling fan struck against the roof.”
    Aided by two large cranes, hundreds of police and soldiers helped remove chunks of concrete. A concrete slab was splattered with blood. One rescue worker said he initially heard faint cries from people trapped in the rubble.

Terrible. latest reports are that the bodies of 250 school girls have been found.

If the US wants to do some good, then we should send contractors in these areas to teach the people how to construct earthquake safe buildings.

OUCH!

That doesn't look fun! Horrible....

Lil

They are now saying that there are more than 2,000 dead.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Oh my gosh, that is horrible. I hope there aren't too many more dead people reports; it's really sad.

Lil

The BBC is saying more than 19,000 dead now, and 42,000 injured. Awful.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I hear the UK government has pledged half a million pounds. I'm sure they spent more than that on US Katrina relief.

So scary...Well it looks like I'm gonna have to donate to the ASPCA again. Am I a bad person for worrying about the animals more than the people?

SVZ

It's sad...but if you watch the footage, the buildings are literally made out of concrete and chicken wire.

Elite Member

OMG, there's something odd going on cosmically, with all these natural disasters everywhere. Or maybe it's just fallout effects of global warming, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
    OMG, there's something odd going on cosmically, with all these natural disasters everywhere. Or maybe it's just fallout effects of global warming, I dunno.

Was thinking the same thing. Why all these horrible things happening?
    All over the world??? And just when I think there is something really sinister going on and the world is coming to an end; I remember that these horrible things have been happening for hundreds of years, and that we, as a culture are now able to see everything live and up close and personal, mostly due to the internet/satelitte TV, etc. Unlike the previous generations......
    So, I am running with that theory and hoping it's correct.

Elite Member

Can it be (*gasp!*) Armageddon?? (not the movie starring Ben Affleck, who's now too busy being an expectant dad to save the world this time).

*waiting for Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis to come out of the shadows to save the day*......anytime now.....anytime..........really...

Elite Member

just make sure JLo doesn't follow Ben! Or we're all doomed!

J Lo???? THE ANTI CHRIST!!! She'll ruin everything dammit!
    We'll have to usher that bitch right outta here, using a huge (free) Prada gift bag...it's the only way!

And lets not even discuss that freak show Marc Anthony.....oy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information