• 1 Post By Kittylady
  • 1 Post By ManxMouse

Thread: More Research Needed to Prevent 'Zombie Apocalypse'

Elite Member

Default More Research Needed to Prevent 'Zombie Apocalypse'

More Research Needed to Prevent 'Zombie Apocalypse'

Newsweek
    Jessica Firger 4 hrs ago

(© Rex Features) When the zombies come, let's hope Rick is leading the charge.

If fears of a zombie apocalypse keep you up at night, then it’s good you’ve taken the initiative to prepare: stockpiled water and food; invested in backup medical supplies, a hand-crank radio, flashlight and other essentials; and maybe acquired tools for self-defense. But those who haven’t should take note that public health disasters can happen at any time, according to a new paper published this week in the BMJ that reviews the biology and epidemiology of zombie infections.

Tara Smith, associate professor at Kent State University in the department of bio-statistics, environmental health sciences and epidemiology, hopes to bring a greater awareness to the threat posed by the walking dead, a public health problem that dates back as far as the 1500s in Haiti. According to Smith, modern-day infections are caused by a number of pathogens that are transmitted through animals and eventually human-to-human, and are evidently linked to the cause of known scourges such as Ebola, rabies and prion infections. The disease manifests in a number of ways, but most commonly victims possess a “shambling gait, tendency to moan, loss of dexterity and prior personality traits, and the eventual rotting of flesh,” Smith wrote.

“The documented rise of multiple zombie pathogens should be a wake-up call to the international community that we need additional funding and cooperation among scientists and government officials to tackle the looming threat of apocalyptic disease,” she wrote.

This is, of course, all in jest and part of the prestigious medical journal’s Christmas issue. But Smith’s article does raise some cogent points. Her work on zombies is an effort to encourage more awareness about disaster preparedness, particularly when it comes to controlling infectious diseases. The undead’s prized place in our culture is a way to inspire people to think about things like having important documents in a safe place and knowing exactly where you and your family will go in case of emergency.

Smith is an advisory board member of the Zombie Research Society, an organization dedicated to the “historical, cultural and scientific study of the living dead,” according to the group’s website. She shares the board with an assortment of experienced experts and zombiephiles from the fields of medicine, law, military intelligence and neurosciences.

While there’s no evidence that zombies actually exist, much of the public spends an inordinate amount of time, brainpower and money on the undead. According to a report from 24/7 Wall St., zombie entertainment in all its forms—including movies, television shows, books, video games, conventions, art, costumes, merchandise and survival gear—rake in approximately $5 billion annually. Approximately 15.8 million people watched the March season finale of The Walking Dead. An endless list of zombie entertainment and ephemera has made many think about worst case scenario emergencies—even if they never meant to.

“Everybody has a zombie preparedness plan,” Smith tells Newsweek. “You know what weapon you're going to get and where you're going to go when you book it out of town.”

(Some of Newsweek staff writers’ responses when asked for their weapons of choice, all given within seconds of the question being posed: “the Navy's aircraft carrier–mounted rail gun,” “flamethrower,” “wooden baseball bat with nails sticking out,” “this automatic weapon,” “cricket bat,” “definitely a halberd” and “Can you lure them into a pit and throw a grenade?”)

However, most people—and way too many government officials—don’t have an operating protocol or infrastructure in place for when a real pandemic hits, a scary truth clearly evident in last year’s Ebola outbreak.

“We use zombies as a way to introduce science that otherwise would not be of interest, such as talking about the brain and disease transmission,” says Smith, whose favorite zombie film is 28 Days Later, which she calls “scary and realistic enough.”

“It's a way to look at those issues in a more fun and less threatening atmosphere.”

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention picked up on this idea a few years ago, when the agency launched its “Zombie Preparedness” campaign. It included a novella in which a public health announcement encourages viewers to stay home and make sure they are have plenty of food and water, the CDC expedites research on a vaccine to prevent transmission, local health clinics administer a simple blood test. At the end of the story, they provide a guide for creating an “all-hazards emergency kit.”

A number of universities in the country also offer zombie courses, including the University of Baltimore, San Diego State University and Harvard University.

In her real academic life, Smith studies pathogens such as antibiotic-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a problem that public health officials are only just starting address. “Every day, I’m thinking about how we’re running out of antibiotics,” she says.

That, of course, is a threat far more terrifying than a reanimation of any human corpse.

I think a lot of people are prepared for if anything should happen. My family has talked about "escape route" and where we would all go if shit hit the fan and we didn't say what specific shit it would be, but we know we have a plan for it.

There is a whole subculture of 'preppers' that really do prepare for stuff like this. Maybe not zombies, but end of the civilized world. Or the next democrat president. They hoard food, water, guns, ammo.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I have seen the Preppers.... my family is not like that! I told my sons if shit goes down at your school, take as many kids as you can and head to our house. We live a little ways from the school and the distance would be considered a safety zone thanks to my neighborhood police officer for telling me that little gem.

I didn't mean you guys, sorry.
    darksithbunny likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

There's a show cable called Doomsday Preppers. These people are certifiable.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I aced the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz, so I'm not worried.
    darksithbunny and Jazzy like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I am friends with a couple that have several assault rifles, guns, and lots of ammo. When he shows me new guns that he bought, I crack up and tell him he's a crazy motherfucker. He just smiles and says that when the shit hit hits the fan, I am welcome at his fortress.. Now that's a friend, I mean, he knows that I'm totally not on board with all that gun bullshit and think it's ridiculous, yet he'd still save me.
    Kittylady and Flygirl like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I know that the first things I'd do in the event of a zombie apocalypse would be to fortify our home, make weapons out of whatever was available in the house and then make an attempt to get to the nearby chemist shop to break in and load up with insulin and other meds for my other half, because I know my chances of survival would be much greater the longer he stays alive due to his McGyver style technical smarts and strength.
    palta likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Having grown up in tornado alley, I always have about a two week survival kit available. I can't help it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I have always wanted an underground bunker. If I'm ever rich, I'm going to build one.

The Newtown shooter's mother was a doomsday prepper. Fat lot of good it did her....I'd say it backfired.

MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

“We use zombies as a way to introduce science that otherwise would not be of interest, such as talking about the brain and disease transmission,” says Smith, whose favorite zombie film is 28 Days Later, which she calls “scary and realistic enough.”
    I actually took a free class like this, through Canvas or Coursera or something - it was called “Society, Science, Survival: Lessons from AMC’s ‘The Walking Dead’.” We did mathematical modelling of disease transmission and population effects, studied a bit about health and nutrition, and explored the socio-cultural impacts of living in a post-SHTF environment. It was pretty cool.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

This is why I had to stop watching The Walking Dead. I would seriously stress myself out over a zombie apocalypse, even though I'm quite aware that the show is not real life. South Eastern Oregon, no one lives there, would be a good place to go.

I did watch some Doomsday Preppers and it was nuts. They were crazy.

Thread Information