• 1 Post By OrangeSlice
  • 6 Post By sluce

Thread: Women no longer accepted at homeless shelter after "sex problem"

Default Women no longer accepted at homeless shelter after "sex problem"

Women no longer accepted at homeless shelter after "sex problem"

By Angela Reighard |
    Posted: Wed 7:57 PM, Dec 09, 2015 |
    Updated: Wed 10:07 PM, Dec 09, 2015

WILLIAMSBURG, Ky. (WYMT) - A homeless shelter in Williamsburg will no longer accept women as a way to stop people from having sex.
    [IMG]http://media.graytvinc.com/images/690*388/sheltersexissue.jpg[/IMG]

The director at Emergency Christian Ministries said people are having sex at the shelter and they cannot accept that.
    "It seems like these last days it's getting worse ... the ungodly type," Director Billy Woodward said.

About 10 to 12 women were asked to leave the shelter over the past two weeks.
    Woodward said they have more men than women at the shelter, so he decided to send the women to a female-only facility nearly 30 minutes away.

Woodward said in some cases, they will not accept children either.
    "Right now, no because of the female factor," Woodward said.
    However, Woodward added he would accept a male child if his father and he were homeless.

Some say this decision does not make much sense.
    The shelter is the only place in Williamsburg for people without a home.
    "I guess I'm a little old school, but the first people off the boat were the women and children," Williamsburg Mayor Roddy Harrison said.

Harrison said the city, like many others, faces a homeless issue. He said he does not want to pass judgment on the shelter director's decision, but said it is "not something the city feels should be done."

Woodward said he made his decision based on the Bible. He said what was happening at the shelter was sinful.
    He told us he is not saying women are the cause of the "sex problem."
    "It takes two to do that," he said. "We are not biased or prejudice whatsoever."

Last year, the director said 38 percent of people at the shelter were women.
    Woodward said he would like to be able to accept women in the shelter in the future. However, he said he would need to renovate the facility.
    For the time being, women are asked to go to the female-only KCEOC shelter in Gray, Kentucky.

Women no longer accepted at homeless shelter after "sex problem"

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Like Jesus said, "No chicks allowed"

Filthy hoers deserve to be homeless, tempting the menfolk and all that. If they can't keep their vaginas closed, to the street they go! Must be run by relatives of Kim Davis.
    dallison likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I'll take the opposite view. They are clear that the women are excluded because there are fewer of them, and they made alternate arrangements. Many homeless shelters around here are single sex because they have been sued by women who were raped at the facility saying the facility failed to provide a safe environment. Their budgets are so strapped that they are lucky to cover the costs of food and cots. We need to address the homeless situation and I am thankful that some churches are at least trying.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I wasn't thinking about no consensual sex, but that makes sense. The "ungodly type" just struck me the wrong way, very judge mental feeling. But it never occurred to me that people would actually sue the shelter in those cases.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I guess a homeless family wouldn't be able to be together at the same shelters. Really sad. No wonder I see people living in their cars.

^^Absolutely. There are few shelters that are prepared to keep families together. Some are large enough so they can have separate areas. The men go to one room, and the females and their kids go to another.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    ^^Absolutely. There are few shelters that are prepared to keep families together. Some are large enough so they can have separate areas. The men go to one room, and the females and their kids go to another.
    i was just about to post something similar. When I was doing some volunteer work years back, there were a lot of kids in the foster care system that weren't able to be with their dads in shelters. Either their mom was gone and totally out of the picture or she was able to stay someplace with friends where the kids weren't able to stay. Shelters that took in men weren't equipped to take on children.

NYC keeps families together, whether it's a single dad, or a "complete" family- they all go through what is termed PATH where they are placed together in a shelter all together.
    The NYC do have guidelines as to what they consider a "family".
    Show that the adults in your family are listed as parents on the child(ren)’s birth certificates, or have legal custody of the child(ren), or have filed in court or with the Department of Health for paternity. Have documentation that the adults are legally married, and at least one adult is the child(ren)’s parent or guardian, or according to DHS, have a New York City domestic partnership certificate and evidence of living together for at least six months, or have lived together for a significant period of
    time and have a medical or other compelling reason (such as emotional or financial interdependence) why they need to live together, or provide a statement that long-term cohabitation is medically necessary on letterhead from a licensed medical provider (in some such cases, living together previously will not be required).

If you haven't read the NY Times article, "Invisible Child", I highly recommend it. Invisible Child: Dasaniā€™s Homeless Life - The New York Times

Thread Information