• 3 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 3 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 3 Post By Novice

Thread: Town rejects solar. Panels suck up all the light, cause cancer

Default Town rejects solar. Panels suck up all the light, cause cancer

Woodland rejects solar farm

Published 9:53am Tuesday, December 8, 2015

WOODLAND – The Woodland Town Council rejected a proposal to rezone a section of land north of town to M2 (manufacturing) from RA (residential/agricultural), essentially denying approval of a solar farm.
    Newly sworn in councilman Cecil Harkey voted against the motion to reject rezoning the land, while council members David Cooper, Ron Lane, and Pat Liverman voted to approve it following public comments against the rezoning.
    The Planning Board had recommended the property be rezoned to allow Strata Solar Company to build a solar farm off U.S. highway 258.
    Three other solar farms had previously been accepted by the town council, with one of the now putting solar panels up.
    The solar farm companies seek placement around Woodland because it has an electrical substation the solar power generated by the panels can be hooked up to the electrical grid.
    Strata’s proposal would have competed encircling the Woodland substation.
    Later in the meeting, the Town Council voted for a complete moratorium on solar farms.
    During the public comment period preceding the rezoning vote, citizens expressed distrust and fear of the solar panels.
    Jean Barnes said she represented many citizens who rejected any more solar farms coming to the Woodland area and presented a petition to the council.
    Barnes asked that any future solar farm request be put to a referendum so the citizens can make the decision.
    Mary Hobbs has been living in Woodland for 50 years and said she has watched it slowly becoming a ghost town with no job opportunities for young people.
    She said her home is surrounded by solar farms and is no longer worth its value because of those facilities.
    She added that the only people profiting are the landowners who sell their land, the solar companies, and the electrical companies.
    The next speakers were Bobby and Jane Mann.
    Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the plants that make the community beautiful.
    She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the plants from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where the plants are brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

“I want to know what’s going to happen,” she said. “I want information. Enough is enough. I don’t see the profit for the town.
    “People come with hidden agendas,” she said. “Until we can find if anything is going to damage this community, we shouldn’t sign any paper.”
    Bobby Mann said he watched communities dry up when I-95 came along and warned that would happen to Woodland because of the solar farms.
    “You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”
    He said the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not come to Woodland.

Strata then addressed the council and audience. Several company representatives, to include Beth Trahos and Sam Judd and Brent Niemann spoke about solar farms.
    They changed the plan to increase setback from the road and said the solar farm would be have substantial amounts of vegetation.
    Trahos said solar farms are proven to be safe and exist next to homes. She said there are no negative impacts on property values statewide.
    “There are no negative impacts,” Trahos said. “A solar farm is a wonderful use for a property like this.”
    The town would not benefit from the solar farms because they are not located within the town limits, but only in the extraterritorial sections.
    The only funding the town would get is about $7,000 per year to train the fire department in case something goes wrong.
    Niemann said the only sunlight the panels use to generate power is that which hits them directly.
    “The panels don’t draw additional sunlight,” Niemann noted.
    The power generated would go directly into the electrical grid and would not reduce Woodland’s power bills.
    “There are no toxic materials on site,” Niemann said. “This is a tried and true technology.”
    Mayor Kenneth Manual called for the vote, which was 3-1 against rezoning the land (the mayor only votes in case it is tied).
    The council later voted for a moratorium on future solar farms.

Woodland rejects solar farm | The Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I think I also read that chupacabra sightings increase by a factor of 10 after solar farms are installed.

Obviously. They come out at night and the panels have sucked up all the light, causing perpetual darkness.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

If only I had been there to give my chupacabra testimony while wearing my "Trump 2016" brainwave-blocking baseball cap.....
    panic and HWBL like this.

Yeah, these people vote. Lovely.

Upon timely approval, the facilities would commence construction in the next spring and could start generating energy from Dec 2016. These power plants will produce 14 MW of electricity over a period of one year, equivalent to power 3,500 homes
    The construction work is expected to create roughly 960 jobs over the next two years while at the same time produce economic benefits of about $74.2 million to the state.
    source:Dominion Virginia Power seeks to build 56 megawatts of new solar<D.N> | Reuters

"Oliver said he views the project as another way to diversify the farm – in addition to caring for and harvesting cotton, butter beans and other crops on several hundred acres, he'll now have a stream of income from a swath of land that doesn't need anything other than sunshine.

"There's a lot of risk involved in farming, but this is guaranteed income. I'll be able to sleep better at night," Oliver said. He declined to detail the terms of the lease or how much he'd be paid.

Dee Dee Darden, a county supervisor and farmer, said she think's it's a great opportunity for Oliver and maybe other farmers.
    "Agriculture is changing all the time, so this is a new way for farmers to harvest something else," she said. "With commodoty prices dropping all the time, this is a way for them to keep the family farm intact."
    source: Solar energy farm on the horizon for Isle of Wight - Daily Press

-- Stephen Hawking

I have solar panels on my roof (used to heat the pool when I had one). To my knowledge, I have no cancer, nor has anyone in the 'hood complained of any.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

And they wonder why the kids ate getting the hell out of there!?!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I have solar panels on my roof (used to heat the pool when I had one). To my knowledge, I have no cancer, nor has anyone in the 'hood complained of any.
    But can they still see because you suck up all the light?

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    And they wonder why the kids ate getting the hell out of there!?!
    My thoughts exactly as I read it.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Thread Information