Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sarzy
  • 1 Post By Sleuth
  • 1 Post By Moongirl

Thread: UK hit by Storm Desmond - Most rainfall in 24 hours, if verified.

Default UK hit by Storm Desmond - Most rainfall in 24 hours, if verified.

Storm Desmond: Homes flooded and travel disrupted as river levels peak

• 18 minutes ago
    • From the section UK

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption The Army has been called in to help the emergency services deal with the situation Flood waters have reached their peak as Storm Desmond continues to cause severe disruption across northern England and parts of Scotland.
    Hundreds of homes have been flooded and more than 1,000 people evacuated in Cumbria and the Scottish Borders.
    Carlisle is among the worst-hit areas and more than 50 severe flood warnings remain in place, mostly in Cumbria.
    There are no trains running between England and Scotland via Preston, and many roads are also closed.
    A major incident has been declared in Carlisle, where emergency crews are using boats to carry people to safety.
    The Environment Agency says at least 200 properties have been flooded in the North West.
    David Cameron said the Army had been mobilised to help those affected, and a meeting of the government's civil emergency committee, Cobra, was being held to discuss the situation.
    Follow live updates for Storm Desmond

Provisional figures suggest 352mm of rain fell in 24 hours in the Lake District - which would be a new British record if verified, the Environment Agency said.

BBC Weather's John Hammond, who is in Keswick, Cumbria, said: "In terms of rainfall, it's totally dry here now and will generally remain so for the rest of the day, but we are concerned about further rainfall through this week.
    "There is more heavy rain in the forecast for flood-affected areas in the next few days and river levels downstream could be adversely affected. We'll particularly be watching the Rivers Ouse and Severn closely."

In other developments:

• More than 50 severe flood warnings - indicating risk to life - remain in place in northern England, as well as more than 60 flood warnings and more than 60 flood alerts
    • In Scotland more than 90 flood warnings and alerts are in place, and some main roads are closed due to landslides and flooding
    • Train companies are seeing "major disruption", while road restrictions are in place on the A66 and other routes between Cumbria and the north-east of England
    • Police in Cumbria say there is a "major risk" that two electricity substations could flood in Carlisle
    • In Northern Ireland, fire and rescue service have helped several people from their homes and cars due to flooding in the western Counties of Tyrone, Fermanagh and Londonderry
    • Passengers on the cross-Tyne ferry had to be rescued on Saturday night after it was carried off in high winds with engine failure
    • In London, a 90-year-old man died on Saturday after it was believed he was blown into the path of a bus near Finchley Central station

Across Lancashire and large parts of Cumbria, more than 60,000 residents are without power, while eight rescue centres have been opened in Cumbria for those forced to leave their homes.
    Adrian Holme, from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said flooding was "unprecedented" as the River Eden burst its banks in Appleby and water levels came close to the top of flood defence barriers in Carlisle and Keswick.
    At the scene

Image copyright PA Image caption Emergency workers walk through floodwater in Warwick Road, Carlisle BBC north of England correspondent Danny Savage
    Coastguards and lifeboats in the centre of Carlisle. This city has seen it all before but it doesn't make it any easier.
    I left Warwick Road about 01:00 GMT this morning with water rising rapidly. By 09:00 it had spread much further towards the city - this appears to be worse than 2005.
    The Army is here to help after the police went wading door to door in the early hours making sure residents were at least safe. Later, rescue teams with boats arrived to move those people who did want to leave.
    They had watched the modern flood defences anxiously for hours. At 22:00 last night they were telling us the water was up to the top of the flood barriers and at about midnight it came spilling over.
    Thousands of properties are without electricity - a hospital in Lancaster is running on generator power and there are worries about a substation in Carlisle. Residents are being told to keep phones fully charged now - if that substation goes, sixty thousand properties could be left without power.
    Sophie Thornton, whose home is flooded in Carlisle, said: "It's absolutely horrible watching the inevitable happen.
    "There was nothing we could do. We're now looking at a street which is waist height in water. It's just absolutely horrendous."
    In 2010, a 38m flood defence scheme for Carlisle was completed, intended to protect about 3,000 homes and businesses around the city.

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Across Lancashire and large parts of Cumbria more than 60,000 residents were left without power
    Image copyright Cheryl Corson Image caption The scene at Kingfisher Park off Warwick Road in Carlisle last night Around 150 people were rescued overnight by the coastguard after a static residential caravan park was heavily flooded at Eamont Bridge near Penrith.
    In Scotland, 600 people were evacuated from their homes in the borders town of Hawick and a train headed for Glasgow was left stranded at Carlisle station with passengers having to sleep on board overnight.

Storm Desmond is the fourth storm to be given a name by the public in a project by the Met Office and Met Eireann in Ireland to help raise awareness of severe weather.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35019021
    Free Charmed.

Ireland

Free Charmed.

I feel sorry for the people whose houses are flooded. Crappy situation.. having everything damaged like that and if you wanted to move you could probably never sell in an area that floods like that.
    rollo likes this.

How awful. Thoughts with those affected.
    Alysheba likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I feel sorry for the people whose houses are flooded. Crappy situation.. having everything damaged like that and if you wanted to move you could probably never sell in an area that floods like that.
    And its less than 8 years since it happened last time, they've spent 38 million in flood defences in Cumbria & the water just went over the top....

Storm Desmond: Homes flooded and thousands without power

• 3 hours ago
    • From the section UK

Jump media player
    Media player help
    Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Media caption Helicopter footage captured the scale of the floods across Cumbria Tens of thousands of homes are without power after Storm Desmond caused severe flooding, and travel disruption, across northern England and parts of Scotland.
    Power at about 55,000 homes could be off for "days" following flooding at an electricity substation in Lancaster.
    The Army has been evacuating homes in Cumbria and the Scottish Borders, where hundreds of homes are under water and nearly 50 severe flood warnings remain.
    The floods minister said the storm had "broken all the UK rainfall records".
    "It's a completely unprecedented amount of water," Rory Stewart (local Member of Parliment) told BBC News.
    Provisional figures suggest more than 340mm of rain fell in 24 hours in the Lake District. The current record is 316.4mm of rain over the same time period at Seathwaite, Cumbria, in 2009.
    Follow live updates for Storm Desmond
    Follow live updates just for Cumbria and Lancashire
    In Pictures: Storm Desmond

Image copyright Reuters Image caption
    Rescue workers attempt to reach local residents in Carlisle In Cumbria, where a major incident was declared, emergency crews used boats to carry people to safety and eight rescue centres are open for those forced to leave their homes.
    Rescue teams from the Royal National Lifeboat Institution evacuated homes in Carlisle, helping around 200 people.
    In other developments:

'We were about to sell our house'

Jump media player
    Media player help

Media captionInside one couple's flood damaged home
    Roger and Julie Scoon, of Keswick, put their furniture in a room that was safe during the 2009 floods - but this time around the water came in through the windows.
    "We did what we could, we got flood gates, we put tiled floors down so we can mop out, but we never dreamt it would come up here," Mr Scoon added.
    The couple, who had been due to sell their house when the flooding hit, said of where they would be for Christmas: "We can't think that far ahead... we'll just take it a day at a time really."
    John Chadwick was helped from his home in Carlisle.
    "I was evacuated as the River Caldew burst over the flood barriers.
    "I live alone and have severe mobility problems including osteoarthritis and mild epilepsy - I just had time to grab some medication.
    "I have nowhere suitable to stay as I need ground floor accommodation with disabled access. Social services informed me that they were inundated and I would just have to rough it out at a friend's place a short distance away.
    "The waters were 2in deep and I got out by dinghy."
    In 2010, a 38m flood defence scheme for Carlisle - which has seen some of the worst flooding - was completed in a bid to protect about 3,000 homes and businesses around the city.
    Floods minister Mr Stewart said defences - which have been criticised - had given authorities more time to evacuate people and kept flood levels down.
    The defences "held strong" but the huge levels of rain were too much for them, he said.
    Jump media player
    Media player help

Media caption
    Bridge collapses in Cumbria floods However, Mayor of Keswick Paul Titley said the defences had been "completely overwhelmed".
    "The flood defences were designed for a one in 100-year event and since it's six years since we had the last one, we were sort of surprised that we got one so soon," he added.
    Image copyright Reuters Image caption

A man wades through flood water on a residential street in Carlisle Image copyright Reuters Image caption Residents have also had to bale out water from their properties
    The Met Office has issued fresh yellow warnings for rain next week for many badly affected areas.
    Jump media player
    Media player help

Media caption
    Rainfall radar shows intensity of Cumbria rain Storm Desmond is the fourth storm to be given a name by the public in a project by the Met Office and Met Eireann in Ireland to help raise awareness of severe weather.
    Live flood warnings from the Environment Agency and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency.

Last edited by Novice; December 6th, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
    Free Charmed.

Video: Storm Desmond causes Malham Cove to become stunning waterfall for first time in centuries

Picture by Simon Wells, Northern Photography Ltd.

Jonathan Brown

jonathan.brown@jpress.co.uk

17:25Sunday 06 December 2015

Heavy rainfall across North Yorkshire has reignited a regional beauty spot's historic waterfall for the first time in hundreds of years.

Malham Cove, a limestone cliff formation 1km north of the village of Malham, is believed to have become the highest unbroken waterfall in England after water began shooting over its 200ft-plus high cliff due to freak weather this morning.

The tallest unbroken waterfall in England is Hardraw Force, near Buttertubs Pass, which stands at around 100ft.
    It is believed that it is the first time in several hundred years that water has surged over the cliffs of Malham Cove.
    The occurrence comes after Storm Desmond tore through Britain, bringing strong winds and heavy rain, to the region and causing Cumbria to declare a major incident.
    The Environment Agency made 130 flood warnings, including at the River Ure, at Ure Bank, in Ripon and River Swale at Richmond, while residents in some parts of the country have had to be evacuated from their homes and there were a number of road accidents involving heavy goods vehicles.
    Malham Cove's extraordinary waterfall. Picture from Youtube

Free Charmed.

A*O

My cousin's weekend cottage in Cumbria has been completely flooded and ruined. Poor woman had to deal with the same thing last year when her family home was flooded via burst pipes. Water causes as much damage as fire.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

How terrible.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Awful. Such devastation. Floods are a nightmare. Everything is destroyed.

Can't post the article because I'm on my iPad, but apparently because the name Storm Desmond was trending due to the weather warnings, some thought this is what Kim K. had named her baby:

Kim Kardashian fans thought she called her new baby Storm Desmond | Daily Mail Online
    Sarzy likes this.

Thread Information