• 2 Post By sluce
  • 6 Post By twitchy2.0

Thread: Americans are buying a record number of guns for Christmas

Elite Member

Default Americans are buying a record number of guns for Christmas

Americans are buying a record number of guns for Christmas

International Business Times
    Cristina Silva 3 hrs ago

Americans are having a happy, pro-gun holiday season. The FBI said this week it had processed a record number of firearms background checks on Black Friday, indicating more Americans were purchasing guns for the holiday shopping season.

The FBI processed 185,345 background checks roughly two per second as Americans took to local malls to buy their loved ones Christmas gifts. That was up five percent from Black Friday 2014, the Associated Press reported. The weapons-purchasing spree came as a man fatally shot three people and wounded nine others in an attack at a Planned Parenthood office in Colorado on the same day.

Under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, the background checks cover gun purchases from federally licensed deals and for permits to carry guns. A background check does not technically mean a gun was purchased, but they are considered by the weapons industry as a measure of gun sales.

( Eric Thayer/Reuters) Worker Marilyn MacKay assembles a rifle at the Sturm, Ruger & Co. gun factory in Newport, N.H., on January 6, 2012.

Americans tend to purchase guns after major shootings. The previous record for the most background checks in a single day was Dec. 21, 2012, days after 20 children and six adults were fatally shot in a Connecticut elementary school. At the time, more than 953,613 gun background checks were processed by federal officials.

President Barack Obama has repeatedly called for stricter guns limits after mass shootings across the nation. "Enough is enough," Obama said in a statement on Saturday after the Planned Parenthood shootings. He urged the nation "to do something about the easy accessibility of weapons of war" for "people who have no business wielding them."

He said he needed Congress' help to stop gun violence. "I will continue to present those things that I can do administratively," Obama said, "but at the end of the day, Congress, states, local governments are going to have to act in order to make sure that we're preventing people who are deranged or have violent tendencies from getting weapons that can magnify the damage that they do."

In Colorado, Robert Lewis Dear, 57, is accused of killing a local police officer and two others during an attack against Planned Parenthood.

By some estimates, 79 million U.S. households have guns. Other surveys have found there are between 270 and 310 million guns.
    panic likes this.

Not all Mericuns are like that.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Fantastic! *said dripping with extreme sarcasm*
    Sarzy and in21derland like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Not all Mericuns are like that.
    Yep.

And we despise those Mericuns more than any outsider ever could because we have to live with what they have wrought.
    sluce, Sarzy, SHELLEE and 2 others like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I saw the news report that aired in London yesterday and am sad that they reported the store as "just another day in America." It's so sad and it must stop.
    witchcurlgirl and panic like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Thread Information