Thread: Feds Set to Release 6k Inmates

Default Feds Set to Release 6k Inmates

Roughly 6,000 federal inmates to be released

By Wesley Bruer, Evan Perez and Scott Glover, CNN

Updated 4:00 PM ET, Tue October 6, 2015

Washington (CNN)In a move to reduce prison overcrowding and provide relief to inmates given harsh sentences in drug cases, the federal Bureau of Prisons will grant early release to about 6,000 inmates beginning later this month, officials confirmed to CNN.

The mass release is the largest in the Bureau of Prisons history and the first wave of what could be tens of thousands of early releases, officials said.

The mass release was triggered by the U.S. Sentencing Commission, which lowered maximum sentences for drug offenders last year and made the change retroactive.

Even with the Sentencing Commission's reductions, drug offenders will have served substantial prison sentences, said Sally Quillian Yates, a deputy attorney general with the Justice Department.

Moreover, the reductions are not automatic, she said. Under the commission's directive, federal judges are required to carefully consider public safety in deciding whether to reduce an inmate's sentence.

"The Department of Justice strongly supports sentencing reform for low-level, non-violent drug offenders," Quillian Yates said.
    Once inmates are released, she said, probation officers "are working hard to ensure that returning offenders are adequately supervised and monitored."

About one-third of the 6,000 inmates slated for release between October 30 and November 2 are non-citizens so they will be turned over to U.S. Immigration Custom Enforcement officials for deportation proceedings, according to one Justice Department official.
    The prisoners have served an average of nine years and were due to be released in about 18 months, the official said. Many were already in half-way houses.

The releases come amid a surge in murders and violent crimes in many cities around the country -- a trend that FBI Director James Comey noted during a recent press briefing at FBI headquarters.

Comey told reporters no one seems to be able to explain increases of 30% to 50% in murders in a wide variety of cities with little in common.

"Something very worrisome is going on," he said Thursday.

He added that his concern will cause him to be "thoughtful" about ongoing moves to reform the nation's criminal justice system.

Roughly 6,000 federal inmates to be released - CNNPolitics.com

I'm very happy about this provided they don't start releasing pedos and rapists en masse like California did.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm fine with low level drug offenders. Assuming they aren't in for any violence.

I didn't know about the significant uptick in murder though. What's up with that?
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I think things got really bad during the recession and it seemed there were a lot more rage-type crimes among people/families who just aren't bouncing back. At least to my unscientific eye.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I agree with your unscientific eye. There's that. Our society just seems to lean towards violence more or maybe we're more aware of it. Also with the rescission lots of support systems and social services were getting less funding, so the help that some people needed for mental health and other issues exacerbated existing problems...? Maybe?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Also, the Millennials are coming of age, and they're a bunch of feral, narcissistic assholes.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I do think our society leans more towards violence. My mother worked for the school board and with children for many years. According to her unscientific eye, there was much more violence occurring at a much younger age. Also, more than the normal pushing and hitting. Children actually hurting each other.

Thread Information