• 1 Post By HWBL
  • 1 Post By gas_chick
  • 9 Post By sputnik
  • 2 Post By MontanaMama

Thread: White people reject claims of white privilege, study finds

Default White people reject claims of white privilege, study finds

White people reject claims of white privilege, study finds

By David K. Li

The cast of the HBO show "Girls": from left, Allison Williams, Jemima Kirke, Lena Dunham and Zosia Mamet. Photo: HBO

White people are quick to cite personal hardships instead of acknowledging that they are privileged because of their skin color, according to a new study.
    Stanford University’s L. Taylor Phillips and Brian S. Lowery, writing in November’s Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, split test subjects into two groups — with one given more evidence of white privilege in American culture.
    Those given more information about privilege cited greater examples of personal hardship than the control group, according to the researchers.
    “Whites may claim increased hardships to maintain not only a positive sense of self, but also the material benefits associated with racial privilege. Whites’ claims of hardship might also serve to legitimize the racial advantages they enjoy, and thereby justify a system that benefits their group,” the researchers wrote.
    Citing personal struggles helped test subjects acknowledge white privilege — while rationalizing that they’re not directly gaining from it, the study said.
    As a remedy, the researchers suggest “privilege reduction efforts” focus on convincing or educating advantaged group members about privilege, and also on “reducing the feelings of self-threat this information induces.”

White people reject claims of white privilege, study finds | New York Post
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Those are people who think white privilege means "someone who never had any problems ever because they're white." Which is ridiculous, of course everyone has had hardships and problems, but there are some things you can't really appreciate unless you go through them yourself.

Exactly.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Yeah, white people. What I as a mixed person hate most is when white people tell us when we should or should not see something as racism as if they are the ones to judge that for us. It still happens and it's bullshit.
    Janus likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Seriously white men are the worst about this. I've seen guys get horribly offended when you point out that they had every advantage in life. Poor victims of white oppression.
    BITTER likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

^^^^
    i think for some people it's about not wanting to lose that privilege so they pretend it's not even a thing. but i think the bigger problem is that the converstion puts people on the defensive and, also, most people aren't very well versed on racism and white privilege and they think that if someone tells them they have white privilege, that they are telling them they've had it easy their whole life or that they should feel guilty for being born white when really people are just being asked to acknowledge that it exists and that yes, white people benefit from it.

it's also very difficult for that conversation to take place when race is still such a taboo and people are so terrified of being called racists. it may seem weird but i think maybe we need to destigmatise racism. not in the sense of destigmatising discrimination i mean destigmatising the term so that it will be easier for people to accept that we're ALL racist and that racism doesn't just mean 'actively discriminating against', it also means all the racism that we've all interiorised even subconsciously because we live in a racist society where white is the norm.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    it's also very difficult for that conversation to take place when race is still such a taboo and people are so terrified of being called racists. it may seem weird but i think maybe we need to destigmatise racism. not in the sense of destigmatising discrimination i mean destigmatising the term so that it will be easier for people to accept that we're ALL racist and that racism doesn't just mean 'actively discriminating against', it also means all the racism that we've all interiorised even subconsciously because we live in a racist society where white is the norm.
    Yes.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

I think it's hard to see and appreciate how privilege plays in to day to day interactions for most people. But to not acknowledge that the deck is stacked at all is willful ignorance.
    witchcurlgirl and *DIVA! like this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

^Yeah, that. I mean, even within colored races it's "the lighter the skin, the better", all influenced by colonialism for one. I know several people of color (all kinds of races and mixes) who do believe there's a form of almost genetic racism in white folks. The explanation for this is that when you're born white in a time when the white race reigns supreme over other - darker - races and that's all you see, subconsciously you start to believe that yes, white MUST then be superior to the other races. That is kind of an "innocent" racism and most people like that really change as soon as their environment changes.
    It has all kinds of effects.
    I know one of my cousins from the Jewish side of our family lived in an all white suburb of Chicago in the seventies. All people with nice white collar jobs. Then the first black family moved in and the house prices dropped. The head of that family? A neurosurgeon, he was actually the one with the best job in that neighborhood. But the conscensus back then was that dark was always less than white and bad news, period.
    And what about the obvious racism now that the US has its first dark president? In reality his dad was black, his mom was white, half and half. But I guess when there's black involved THAT is what you are. The one drop rule. Nobody calls him another white president. Not just because he looks more African American than Caucasian, because in reality he's 50% of each so in his case it could be a choice, in a nicer world. How about the blatant unwillingness from - mostly - the repugs to serve UNDER a president of color? Nobody ever yelled liar to Dubya during his State of the Union, not even after he started wars based on lies. Yet, this president was heckled during his speech. Unthinkable, totally disrespectful. Crybaby Boehner, remember how he seemed to have the positions backwards when he spoke about the pres that he could come over to make a deal any time but he just wouldn't, several years back? As in we run the country, if you want something you have to ask nicely. I really don't think they would have had the same attitude towards a white president.
    Didn't the repugs during Obama's first term decide to oppose everything he would bring in? Not thinking of the nation or its citizens, just about being unwilling to have a non white superior. I still see the idiots at repug fundraisers carrying toy monkeys with a name tag Obama on them.
    But, they say, we have a black president isn't that the ultimate proof that racism is a thing of the past? Whenever I hear that I just want to yell.

^Sorry if that's a bit incoherent: I've been working my ass off today a very, very, long day with deadlines, meetings and to top it off a new phonesystem that didn't work as it was supposed to adding to the stress.

It's like Muhammad Ali said in 1967:

I'm still looking for the full speech he gave on those steps. The clip's title says 1968, but it was 1967.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information