• 2 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 1 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 1 Post By Trixie
  • 4 Post By BITTER

Thread: A Child in Los Angeles Has the Plague

Default A Child in Los Angeles Has the Plague

A Child in Los Angeles Has the Plague

A Los Angeles County child is recovering from the plague, and public health agencies are searching the wilderness for the source of the infection.

Itís the third case of plague this year in the U.S. The first two both happened in Colorado, and both were fatal. Earlier this week, an adult in Pueblo County, Colorado, died of the plague, and back in June, the disease killed a Larimer County high school student.

There are about 7 cases of plague in the U.S. every year, mostly in the West, where the disease is endemic among wild mammals, especially rodents, in rural or wilderness areas. The bacteria that cause the plague spend part of their life cycle in the digestive systems of fleas that live on wild rodents, which means the plague can spread to pets, livestock, or humans if they get too close. All things considered, itís a little surprising that more people arenít infected.

As in other Western states, plague is endemic among Californiaís wild rodents, especially in foothill and mountain areas, but it hasnít infected a human in the state since 2006. California has had 42 cases of plague since 1970, of which nine were fatal.

Public health officials say that the LA county child may have been infected during family trip in mid-July to Stanislaus National Forest and Yosemite National Park, and theyíre investigating the parks and the surrounding area. That process most likely involves testing area wildlife for the plague. In the meantime, park authorities have posted warnings for visitors, including advice on how to protect against plague-bearing fleas.

Those plague safety tips include avoiding wild mammals (especially rodents, no matter how cute they are) and wearing insect repellent, especially around the cuffs of your pants, where fleas are most likely to get access. If you live in an area where plague is endemic, keep your pets indoors if possible, and make sure to treat them for fleas and ticks regularly. Watch your pets and livestock for signs of illness, and take sick animals to the vet as soon as possible.

The child is recovering, say officials; these days, antibiotics can fight off the plague easily in most cases ó the two Colorado victims were unfortunate exceptions. And doctors say that thereís almost no danger of an outbreak in LA County; unless an infection is left untreated and finds its way into the patientís lungs, plague isnít directly transmissible from person to person. The last time that happened in California was in 1924.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Another good reason I don't go camping!

There was another thing that people were getting a few years ago. Hantavirus or something?
    BITTER and darksithbunny like this.

I watched part of some Bear Grylls show where he caught and killed a squirrel or chipmunk or something, and handled it with his bare hands. Hello plague! I couldn't believe they didn't show proper handling for shit like that.

Hantavirus comes from breathing in old mouse droppings.

I don't camp or go to public pools...the world is a ghetto of cooties and tetters....
    Mivvi21 and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

A mouse got in my yurt the last night of our camping trip...and I immediately thought of our impending doom. My son did not understand why I was spazing the fuck out.
    BITTER likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I watched part of some Bear Grylls show where he caught and killed a squirrel or chipmunk or something, and handled it with his bare hands. Hello plague! I couldn't believe they didn't show proper handling for shit like that.
    He probably got it from the pet store.

Can't you just handle this with toothpaste?
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

Or drinking your own urine. That's what Bear would do
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Carl Hiaasen covers this in Chomp with a character by the name of Derek Badger.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

We lose a couple of people every other year or so to the plague here. I don't know why we don't get it here in the city since we have a massive prairie dog problem, but we haven't yet.
    BITTER likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Or drinking your own urine. That's what Bear would do
    Sorry, I thought this was about plaque!

Plaque is the black plague of gingiva.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

My hub was bit by a baby squirrel a month or so ago, rabies never set in, didn't think about the plague. Should I be upping his life insurance about now?
    BITTER likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    My hub was bit by a baby squirrel a month or so ago, rabies never set in, didn't think about the plague. Should I be upping his life insurance about now?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Thread Information