Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 1 Post By levitt

Thread: Teenage girl dies of heart attack after not going to the toilet for eight weeks

Elite Member

Default Teenage girl dies of heart attack after not going to the toilet for eight weeks

Teenage girl dies of heart attack after not going to the toilet for eight weeks

www.msn.com/en-au/health/medical/teenage-girl-dies-of-heart-attack-after-not-going-to-the-toilet-for-eight-weeks/ar-AAcx2mz?ocid

The Independent
    Alexandra Sims 11 hrs ago

© Nadine Hutton /Getty Images.. Emily Titterington died after going eight weeks without a bowel movement which left her with a compressed her chest cavity and displaced organs

A teenager suffering from a phobia of toilets has died from a heart attack.

Emily Titterington, 16, died after going eight weeks without a bowel movement which left her with a compressed her chest cavity and displaced organs.

An inquest in Turo, Cornwall, herd that Emily’s life could have been saved with appropriate medical treatment, but she has refused medical examinations.

Home Office pathologist Dr Amanda Jeffery said her symptoms were in keeping with a condition known as “stool withholding”, which is more frequent in children.

A post-mortem examination revealed that the 16-year-old had a “massive extension of the large bowel,” which Jeffery described as “like nothing I have ever seen before – it was dramatic”.

Emily, who also had mild autism, had suffered with bowel problems for most of her life but doctors had been unable to determine the cause.

Her GP Dr Alistair James said that Emily’s mother, Geraldine, 59, has battled with her daughter to be medically examined in the period leading up to her death, but her protests had been in vain.

Dr James told the coroner that he had prescribed laxatives but had not examined Emily's abdomen.
    He said: “Had I done so, we would be having a different conversation. Her death could have been avoided with the right treatment at the right point.”

Emily collapsed while at home in St Austell, Cornwall on 8 February 2013. Paramedics attempted to revive her but she was later pronounced dead in hospital.

Lee Taylor, a paramedic who attended the family’s home twice in the night of her death, described Emily as “looking pale” on his first visit.

She complained of pain between her shoulders blades, he told the inquest, but he did not notice any abdominal swelling and she refused to go to hospital and was extremely reluctant to be examined.

Taylor said that when he and student paramedic, Lisa Marie Edwards, arrived at the family home for the second time that night after 4am, “her father James was outside shouting at us to help, saying something had gone badly wrong.“

When they found Emily lying in the doorway of the bathroom Taylor said: “I could see that her abdomen was grossly extended. Her lower ribs had been pushed out further than her pubic bone – I was shocked.”

The inquest is ongoing.

Silver Member

So sad.

If it was toilets she was afraid of, couldn't she have just squatted on newspaper or something? Anything to avoid dying from constipation, or anal retention I suppose. What a horrible way to go.

Hit By Ban Bus!

What a shitty situation.

It's Truro, not Turo - I know this as my former roommate and pal is from there. Yes, that's me being anal about the facts but it seems fitting.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Just don't be anal for eight weeks.
    Serendipity and deenz like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    It's Truro, not Turo - I know this as my former roommate and pal is from there. Yes, that's me being anal about the facts but it seems fitting.
    An inquest in Turo, Cornwall, herd

And is it herd or heard....

Why are they reporting now when it happened in 2013?
    Last edited by sluce; July 4th, 2015 at 04:08 PM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I can't believe I missed that, sluce! What a shitty article.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Thread Information