Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By *Wookie-Chick*
  • 2 Post By Beeyotch
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By whitetigeress
  • 3 Post By Taedium
  • 3 Post By Sleuth

Thread: Three-year-old Aboriginal girl left in tears after being subjected to racial abuse

Elite Member

Default Three-year-old Aboriginal girl left in tears after being subjected to racial abuse

Three-year-old Aboriginal girl left in tears after being subjected to racial abuse

Three-year-old Aboriginal girl left in tears after being subjected to racial abuse

The Age
    Livia Gamble 1 day ago

Rachel Muir/Facebook Samara Muir,3, left in tears after being racially abused at a Melbourne shopping centre.

A three-year-old Aboriginal girl was left in tears after being victim to racial abuse during a trip to Melbourne.

Samara Muir, from Ballarat, was in Melbourne at a Disney event at Watergardens shopping centre in Taylors Lakes last month with her mother Rachel Muir when the unthinkable happened.

Dressed as Frozen's Elsa, Samara was lining up for the snow pit when a mother and her two daughters began to verbally abuse the young girl.

"The lady in front of us turned around to Samara and said 'I don't know why you're dressed up for because Queen Elsa isn't black'," Rachel told The Courier Mail.
    "I asked the woman what she meant by the comment and then one of the woman's young daughters screwed up her face, she pointed at Samara and said 'you're black and black is ugly'."
    Samara became upset and started to cry.

"I looked around the line and there were little girls of all different races lining up dressed as their favourite Disney characters," Rachel said.

"We were in Melbourne, one of the most multicultural places in the world.

"I couldn't believe it."

Rachel held her daughter's hand until it was their turn to enter the snow pit.

Venting her frustration on Facebook, Rachel wrote: "My daughter was in tears when we were at Watergardens for the Frozen activities as a mother & her two daughters told my daughter they don't know why you dressed up for, because Anna & Elsa aren't Black & Black is ugly & your Black.

"Racism is alive & well in the next generation."

Rachel Muir/Facebook Samara Muir.

In the days following Rachel said Samara didn't want to go to her Aboriginal dance class.

"When I asked why she didn't want to go, she pointed at the skin on her arm and asked why she was black," said Rachel.

Since their story was published, Samara and Rachel have received support from strangers around the world.

"We are very overwhelmed and shocked by the kindness of people. I didn't think people would care so much," she said.

Indigenous rapper Adam Briggs contacted the family, asking Samara to be in his new video clip.

Samara will play a young Cathy Freeman.

Appearing on The Project on Friday, Samara was given another gift.

Disney on Ice Dare to Dream has invited the little girl along, not only to see the show, but to be in it.

Samara told The Project: "I love being a princess, Elsa's the best princess because she really is strong."

"I just thought it would be a story people would click past and forget. To know that she has touched so many people that they see her how I see her, is just incredible," said Rachel.

"After every message Samara smiles and says "Thank-you your majesty."

"She is back to her proud, beautiful Aboriginal self."
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

She is adorable!
    I wish her mother would have taken a photo of the hateful mom & her hateful daughters & posted their pic online!

I know people like that exist but I still don't really understand how people can be so ignorant and hateful. Why? She's just a little girl, doing no harm to anyone. Doesn't compute, no logic at all.
    SHELLEE and lindsaywhit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    She is adorable!
    I wish her mother would have taken a photo of the hateful mom & her hateful daughters & posted their pic online!
    Found it:
    I'mNotBitter and SHELLEE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    She is adorable!

To show what ugly truly looks like
    holly likes this.

Making a 3 year old cry? Priceless @@

Silver Member

I HIGHLY doubt this happened. This mother wants attention.
    twitchy2.0, Janus and Mivvi21 like this.

I'm abit skeptical as well, it just seems so outrageous and random to be an ass to a kid with your kids while yoi are stuck in line. In the same situation, i dont think i would have continued to stand in line with such horrible people. Who knows if it would have escalated further. I wouldnt risk standing next to a nutter with my kid. Eitherway, i hope it didnt really happen but Ihope Samara enjoys all the cool stuff shes getting from it.
    twitchy2.0, Janus and teforde23 like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Thread Information