• 3 Post By BBDSP
  • 2 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By llamamama
  • 2 Post By idunno

Thread: Female Scientists Share ‘Distractingly Sexy’ Photos to Fight Sexism

Default Female Scientists Share ‘Distractingly Sexy’ Photos to Fight Sexism

Female Scientists Share ‘Distractingly Sexy’ Photos to Fight Sexism

In case you missed it, Nobel Prize-winning scientist Tim Hunt, the British laureate, caused a firestorm earlier this week when he commented that female scientists are a distraction to their male counterparts.

“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls,” he was reported as saying. “Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry.”

Not the savviest statement to make at the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea, where Hunt was a featured speaker.

In case you missed it, Nobel Prize-winning scientist Tim Hunt, the British laureate, caused a firestorm earlier this week when he commented that female scientists are a distraction to their male counterparts.

“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls,” he was reported as saying. “Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry.”

Not the savviest statement to make at the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea, where Hunt was a featured speaker.

The 72-year-old later apologized, saying the comments were meant to be light-hearted, calling himself a “chauvinist pig,” and eventually resigning from his post at University College London. But the damage had been done.

Female scientists around the world rallied, creating a #distractinglysexy hashtag on Twitter to show us exactly what the term means and fight sexism with their acerbic wit.

The women photographed themselves in their extremely sexy work outfits. It’s no wonder male scientists are powerless to their charms:

They also confessed their laboratory transgressions:

And shared their tears:

One ecologist was so busy being sexy that she even distracted herself:

Steve Diggle, a microbiologist at the University of Nottingham, designed a helpful warning sign for scientists to post outside their labs, ground zero for distractingly sexy interactions, and all that crying.

The sign was retweeted over 1000 times, and many labs immediately put it into practice — thus saving scientists everywhere from “trouble with girls.”

Now, scientists everywhere can breathe a collective sigh of relief, and actually start working already.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/female-...320623177.html
    ManxMouse and Kittylady like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

I love those.

As a woman who started working when there was still a lot of casual and pervasive sexism, I learned when to ignore it as harmless and when to dig in my heels. I'm not sure whether this man's resignation was necessary - simply because I think he has a lot more learning to do about women in the workplace and this might be best served by continuing to work with them. Then again, I wonder what kind of damage he's done to the women working for him or being taught by him, even unknowingly.

Glad to see these smart, accomplished women representing!
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Elite Member

Well put. ^
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

The responses are hilarious.

I don't think he should have resigned his post, TBH. He's a 70 something y/o man who ran his mouth. I do believe he thought he was being funny. He apologized. Whatever.
    llamamama and BelledeJour like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I want his resignation letter analyzed for dried teardrops.
    nwgirl and Kathie_Moffett like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    The responses are hilarious.

I don't think he should have resigned his post, TBH. He's a 70 something y/o man who ran his mouth. I do believe he thought he was being funny. He apologized. Whatever.
    I think he was just letting on that there is a lot of hanky-panky going on in the labs. And the crying thing might have just been his personal observation. I also think he was trying to be funny. And scientist Sarah Weston is sexy.
    darksithbunny likes this.

Elite Member

The most misogynistic man in my office has just been named partner. Now there's a reason for this woman to cry.
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.

Thread Information