• 5 Post By greysfang
  • 2 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By KrisNine

Thread: Lunch lady fired for giving "rich" kids free lunches

Default Lunch lady fired for giving "rich" kids free lunches

School lunch worker: I got fired for feeding a hungry child

By Chris Isidore @CNNMoney

She just couldn't see a kid go hungry.

Della Curry, a cafeteria worker in an elementary school in a Denver suburb, has been fired for giving free food to students who didn't qualify for the federal free lunch program.

The mother of two admitted to KCNC-TV, which first reported the story, that she violated school policy by giving the free meals but said that she didn't want to see the children go hungry. She's hoping her case will change district policy.

"I had a first grader in front of me, crying, because she doesn't have enough money for lunch. Yes, I gave her lunch," Curry told the station. "I'll own that I broke the law. The law needs to be changed."

Curry (pictured above) said that many students' families can't afford to send them lunch even if they don't qualify for the free or reduced cost lunch program. She said sometimes students simply forget their lunch money and noted that on occasion she even went into her own pocket to pay for lunches.

Cherry Creek School District, where she had been employed, refused to comment to the station about her case, saying it was a personnel matter.

But after the report aired, the district posted a statement on the district web site about the policy without mentioning her by name. It said that students are given free lunches the first three times they forget their lunch money and after that they are given a cheese or if available turkey sandwich, along with a milk.

"No child is ever allowed to go without lunch," said the district's statement.

But Curry said that meal is not enough and leaves kids still hungry.

The district said the cost of the district's lunch program are not covered by the prices charged.

Curry hopes to speak to the Board of Education about her case and about changing the policy.

"If me getting fired for it is one way that we can try to change this, I'll take it in a heartbeat," she said.
    She may have support from some parents at the meeting. Parent Darnell Hill told the station that Curry should be thanked for what she did.

"Do something different than fire her. She's trying to help," he said.

School lunch worker: I got fired for feeding a hungry child - Jun. 3, 2015

This story pisses me off so much.

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That's fucked up.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Hit By Ban Bus!

Is this a joke?? I hope it goes viral and this policy is changed. #scrooge

Insanity.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It pisses me off that the gubment would rather spend my money giving pedos and murderers three squares a day than give a free shitty lunch to a schoolchild.
    SHELLEE, Air Quotes, rollo and 2 others like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The article says the kids who don't bring money more than three time still get a sandwich and milk. I existed on that all the way through 8th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The article says the kids who don't bring money more than three time still get a sandwich and milk. I existed on that all the way through 8th grade.
    They get a slice of American cheese on a hamburger bun and a small milk. Do you really think that is adequate? Why not give them the same hot lunch as everybody else? It wouldn't cost much at all.
    rollo and Honeythorn like this.

I hope she gets reinstated or gets offered a better job.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    They get a slice of American cheese on a hamburger bun and a small milk. Do you really think that is adequate? Why not give them the same hot lunch as everybody else? It wouldn't cost much at all.
    Plus, I read in another article that they are required to throw away the hot lunch that was intended for the student.

When I was in school, I remember forgetting my lunch money and they would give you a peanut butter and jelly with a small milk.
    darksithbunny likes this.

Thread Information