Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Bacon prices plummeting, can I get an Amen?

Default Bacon prices plummeting, can I get an Amen?

Bargain: Bacon is 25% cheaper now

By Patrick Gillespie @Pat_Gillespie

A bacon serving at the Bacon Bistro & Cafe in Hurst, Texas. Owner Adam Daily notices bacon prices going down.

Bacon lovers can breathe a sigh of smoky relief.

No, a study didn't find bacon to be healthy. But America's favorite smoked meat is more affordable today.

A one-pound package of bacon is 25% cheaper now than a year ago, according to U.S. Agriculture Department data. That's over a dollar and a quarter in savings and puts bacon back on par with breakfast sausage prices.

Timing couldn't be better. America's bacon craze hasn't stopped.

In the past year, Americans ate 1.1 billion -- billion with a B -- servings of bacon at restaurants.

Eateries are happy to indulge people's bacon cravings, especially now that prices are falling.At casual dining restaurants, bacon sales are up 13% on the year, according to market research firm NPD Group and CREST food service.

Adam Daily is saving much-needed money on bacon. He and his wife Eva run Bacon Bistro & Cafe in Hurst, Texas., a local favorite just outside Fort Worth. Daily says he is now saving $125 to $150 a week because bacon is cheaper.

"I certainly have noticed the prices come down a bit," says Daily, 41. "I definitely think customers are ordering more bacon."

Daily isn't lowering his bacon prices yet because the savings help offset an egg price jump. A bird flu virus is killing millions of chickens, raising egg prices. For breakfast locales, any bacon savings are needed to weather the egg price hike.
    It's a reminder of how tough it is to manage menu costs. Bacon went through its own crisis a year ago. A swine flu virus last summer cut down the bacon supply, sending bacon prices soaring by 14% on the year last May. This year's plunge is the first time in two years that bacon prices have fallen.

The more affordable bacon prices this summer have a bit to do with sex. Pigs can give birth to several piglets at a time, quickly refilling America's pork supply. Other animals, like cows, can only reproduce one calf at a time, taking longer time for supply to match demand.

The science plays directly into the prices on grocery store shelves. Beef prices are 13% higher now from a year ago, the twelfth consecutive month of double-digit price increases, according to the Labor Department. Cattle farmers are still trying to repopulate their herds after a multi-year drought in Texas.

Despite the price hikes and drops on different meats, some stores continue to see customers demanding, "Where's the beef -- and bacon?"

Singleton's General Store is a hit in Proctorsville, Vermont. Established in 1946, the store has a sign outside that reads "Cob Smoked Bacon, Guns and Ammo, Maple Syrup."
    The sign outside Singleton's General Store in Proctorsville, Vermont.Assistant manager Jessica Gould says the store sells 4,000 pounds of bacon during Vermont's ski season. Most days are a "non-stop battle" of loading and unloading the smoker.

"I have seen an increase in the sales of bacon, most definitely," says Gould, 28. "Bacon is always a demand at Singletons."
    Customers often tell her, "We came just to get your bacon."

CNNMoney (New York) May 20, 2015: 1:29 PM ET

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

at our fair this year they are having Chicken Fried Bacon. I think it'll be worth the extra insulin shot.
    Trixie and greysfang like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I think that I've consumed so much bacon that I'm actually over it.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Oh hi, GR's self-designated bacon hater just walked into the thread. (It's me.)

My husband loves it. He just bought an ass-load on sale at the supermarket because I won't buy it. He's under strict orders to cook it only when I'm not in the house. I'm gonna have to leave the house a lot...

You're not normal.
    nwgirl, Cartermrc, kasippu and 3 others like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Clearly not, but at least she has the love of the pigs, which is more than can be said for the rest of us.
    faithanne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    You're not normal.
    Well I think that's obvious. But at least I'm not a cilantro hater.
    SHELLEE, rollo and twitchy2.0 like this.

Even sex is better with bacon...
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Clearly not, but at least she has the love of the pigs, which is more than can be said for the rest of us.
    Mmmmmm, I love to go to a good pig roast. It's really cool having alot of Cuban friends 'cause that means lots of roasted pig.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I've never turned down a pig roast in my life.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    No!
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

greysfang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Mmmmmm, I love to go to a good pig roast. It's really cool having alot of Cuban friends 'cause that means lots of roasted pig.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I've never turned down a pig roast in my life.
    We just had one yesterday at our change of command ceremony...like sex I swear.
    sluce likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

We found an awesome new BBQ place by us and the pulled pork is to DIE for. Especially when you have them put the pepper bacon on top. I'm going to have to forget the address to this place or this will be my new ass.

The brisket and the ribs are divine too.
    BITTER and SHELLEE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    you've had sex with bacon?
    SHELLEE and BITTER like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information