Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homosexuals are apparently unfit sperm donors

Thumbs down Homosexuals are apparently unfit sperm donors

Oslo's Sperm Bank seeks to double its number of donors but is not interested in contributions from homosexuals.
    A legislative change in January 2005 gave the child of a sperm donation the right to know the identity of the donor when reaching age 18. The sperm bank at Rikshospitalet, Oslo has been trying various recruitment drives to make up for the resulting reluctance but the Bank is far from its goal of finding 30-40 new donors every year, newspaper Dagsavisen reports.

Nevertheless, the Bank is unwilling to accept homosexual donors, despite the regulations not mentioning the exclusion of this group.

Laboratory chief Peter Fedorcsak is opposed to homosexual donors, and questions their psychological suitability for being donors.

"The main motivation for a donor must be a desire to help others, not, for example, donating sperm in order to spread one's own genes," Fedorcsak told Dagsavisen.

Fedorcsak said that both he and others at the Sperm Bank increasingly often turn down interested donors because the potential donors turn out to be most interested in getting children.

"This is one of the challenges we have now that donors are no longer anonymous," Fedorcsak said. Potential donors are asked about their sexual proclivity during an interview. "This is a very complicated question. It is not clear that we should just say yes to homosexuals," Fedorcsak said.

Norway's other national sperm bank in Haugesund sees no problem with accepting homosexual donors.

"We want a cross-section of maleness in Norway. Some men are homosexual, so that would be just fine," said operations manager Eva Bakke at the Haugesund Sperm Bank.

Jon Reidar yan, head of the Norwegian National Association of Lesbian and Gay Liberation (LLH), said the Rikshospitalet was playing judge and that homosexuals could well be better suited psychologically as donors.

"As homosexuals today we live with the donor problem. Some homosexuals have chosen to help lesbian friends and acquaintances, yes, there is a tradition for identified donors in homosexual circles," yan said.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1414364.ece
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Homosexuals are apparently unfit sperm donors

The whole article is ridiculous, but this in particular is really stupid:

Laboratory chief Peter Fedorcsak is opposed to homosexual donors, and questions their psychological suitability for being donors.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Of course they're unsuitable! Those scary gay genes mean some little boy might grow up appreciating the cut of a dress, the curve of a buttock or the beauty of a sunset! Wrong! Off with thier heads!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Couldn't they just lie anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    The whole article is ridiculous, but this in particular is really stupid:

Yeah it was.. I'd like to ask him exactly what scientific basis he's making this judgement on.

Betcha he can't come up with shit
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I thought this country was a bit more progressive that this. I realize that it's just a private business, but I guess I just had this sterotype that everyone "up there" was liberal and accepting. Makes me wonder which nation is generally thought of as most accepting of homosexuality? Grimm? Anyone?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Every nation has there bigots and homophobes so there's not really a 100% progressive nation. I would say that there are countries that have given rights to the gay community and have been vocal about it, like Sweden and Canada.

Now about the article, what does that guy mean that gays are'nt "psychological suitable" to donate sperm? It's not that hard on the brain to jack off and release. Seriously some people will make up anything to put a gay man down.

Quote Originally Posted by macabre View Post
    Couldn't they just lie anyway?

Exactly. It's not like they have GAY written on their forehead.

Shit.

*dabs foundation on his forehead*

KD
    Elite Member

Not saying this is right, but people (inseminatees, is that a word?) probably feel it might be "catchy" ie genetic. I say let gays donate, and then the inseminatees can be informed and they can choose for themselves.

It's not 'catchable' like a disease, but it's a part of the genetic blueprint so the kid might come out a poof as a result of that or the mother's own latent family genes. It's a toss-up.

Wait a second here, isn't homosexuality a trait one is born with rather than a choice? That is the current politically correct view isn't it? That is it either some type of difference in the brain or wiring somehow? That the person who is homosexual has no control over their sexual attraction to the same sex?

So... it appears possibly to be genetic. I thought I read a post somewhere on this board where people did take note that maybe there was an uncle, and then a brother or whatnot, making it appear that it could be possibly somehow genetic.

So, it appears to me that a privately run business dealing with potential future humans has the right to outline who will be part of their donor pool is within their rights.

If I was a woman looking to conceive a child, with a future hope for grandchildren, then avoiding the possibility (even if totally remote) of having a homosexual child who may not go on to have biologic granchildren wouldn't be a risk I would want to take.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    Every nation has there bigots and homophobes so there's not really a 100% progressive nation. I would say that there are countries that have given rights to the gay community and have been vocal about it, like Sweden and Canada.

Now about the article, what does that guy mean that gays are'nt "psychological suitable" to donate sperm? It's not that hard on the brain to jack off and release. Seriously some people will make up anything to put a gay man down.
    We have our share of bigots and homophobes and crazies, too.

Most of them in Alberta

The intelligent thing to do, business-wise, would be like someone said earlier. Allow it, disclose it, and let the customer choose. Aren't there lengthy questionaires given to donors, and the woman can read the answers and make their decisions?

Some women might be much more concerned with male pattern baldness than homosexuality. Why limit yourself when it comes to money?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information