Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: You Are Paying Billions Because McDonald's and Walmart Won't

Default You Are Paying Billions Because McDonald's and Walmart Won't

You Are Paying Billions Because McDonald's and Walmart Won't

This Wednesday will bring a nationwide wave of strikes and protests by low-wage workers and their supporters, calling for higher pay. For some context on why, consider this: you, the taxpayer, are already subsidizing these workers to the tune of billions of dollars.

A new study out of the University of California attempts to quantify the extent to which low-wage employees of major corporations end up having their basic living expenses paid by the public, due to the fact that the profitable major corporations that employ them pay them so very little. (This is a fairly regular exercise by some economist or other, and always enlightening.) These are working Americans. No one can argue that they are lazy. Also, for many of them, their employers are some of the world's biggest and most valuable public companies. Walmart. McDonald's. Target. These are not a class of workers exclusively employed by mom and pop operations. With those two things in mind, chew on this: the researchers found thatthe total cost of public aid to poor working families from the federal government and state governments is $153 billion per year.

That is to say that we, the taxpayers, are paying $153 billion per year to supplement the very low wages paid to our fellow working Americans by many large, profitable corporations. That is an amount roughly equal to the entire annual budget of the US Department of Agriculture.

It is one thing to say, "Fast food workers don't deserve $15 per hour." But realize that what you are saying really amounts to, "I prefer to pay the difference between what fast food workers earn and what they need to live myself, rather than making their employers pay it." Framed that way, some Americans might start thinking about this wage issue a bit differently.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I am for an increased minimum wage, but won't that increase the price of the food at fast food restaurants? One of the bennies is that it's supposed to be cheap.
    joebob likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Yes we are already subsidizing lower wage earners through government programs, but I doubt that will change by raising the minimum wage. I am sure my taxes will not be reduced.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I am for an increased minimum wage, but won't that increase the price of the food at fast food restaurants? One of the bennies is that it's supposed to be cheap.
    That's kind of the thing, right? I mean, I don't think most of these jobs were intended to be jobs that were supporting families. Most of these jobs used to go to people that were retired and younger kids. I agree, that there needs to be in increase in wages, but won't that come at a cost to the community who shops at these places and eats in those stores.

Would you rather pay a little more for your burger and fries combo, or keep having your taxes raised so you can make sure that everyone can earn a decent wage?
    pinkbunnyslippers and sputnik like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

It makes sense, in concept, and no I wouldn't mind paying more for my burger and fries since I seldom eat fast food. But, as sluce noted, will I see that amount come back to me in lower taxes because there are fewer people on the dole? Not holding my breath.
    sluce likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I don't know, really. I know jack squat about economics.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    That's kind of the thing, right? I mean, I don't think most of these jobs were intended to be jobs that were supporting families. Most of these jobs used to go to people that were retired and younger kids. I agree, that there needs to be in increase in wages, but won't that come at a cost to the community who shops at these places and eats in those stores.
    In the late 60s, a minimum wage worker could comfortably support a family of 3. Things are different now thanks to rampant inflation and wage stagnation, etc.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

We'll pay for it either way, either with higher goods and services or through our taxes. And like Sluce said, it's not like our taxes will go down. Also, minimum wage theoretically drives all wages (well maybe not once you get to the top) so the impact could be bigger than just paying more for your fries or mixing bowls at walmart.

However, the minimum wage now is too low. It has not kept pace with inflation and therefore the current number has zero basis in any kind of reality. It's just some random low ball number that doesn't relate to the real cost of living.
    qwerty, sputnik, Brah and 1 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Would you rather pay a little more for your burger and fries combo, or keep having your taxes raised so you can make sure that everyone can earn a decent wage?
    Of course, in theory I would rather pay more for something if it would honestly make a change. Sort of like the Affordable Health Care Act. While I wouldn't mind paying more into something so others can get insurance, I hate that my costs have tripled and my coverage has gone in the shitter.
    qwerty and BoogsBun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Yes we are already subsidizing lower wage earners through government programs, but I doubt that will change by raising the minimum wage. I am sure my taxes will not be reduced.
    They wont. Because they'll still be giving subsidies to corporations, which is where way more of what we pay is going.

But we could stop privatizing the profits and socializing the costs of business and asking taxpayers to pick up the tab.
    Mivvi21, sputnik, qwerty and 2 others like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

We are already paying more for fast food. A combo at most places is pushing $10.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Seattle CEO to pay employees $70,000 minimum wage

SEATTLE The CEO of a Seattle company is reportedly boosting the minimum wage for every one of his employees to $70,000 per year and taking an enormous pay cut to make it happen.
    The New York Times reports that Dan Price, founder of Gravity Payments, came to the conclusion after reading an article on happiness that showed money makes a big difference in the lives of people who make under $70,000.

KING5
    $16 in '16? Minimum wage debate likely to go state wide

How is he going to do it? Price is taking a pay cut from $1 million to $70,000. He'll also use 75-80% of the company's expected $2.2 million in profit this year, according to the Times.
    Price told his 120-person work force that the raise would be phased in over the next three years.
    Employees at Gravity Payments in Seattle celebrate the announcement. (Photo: NBC News)

Gravity Payments is a credit card payment processing firm.
    Based on a 40-hour work week, a $70,000 salary comes out to $33.65 per hour.
    Seattle has been one of the hotbeds of the national minimum wage battle. The city is phasing in a $15 per hour minimum wage over the next few years. The first step came a couple weeks ago when the wage went up to $11 per hour.
    Some owners of stores belonging to larger franchise chains like Subway or McDonald's say it will hurt them because they are seen as large corporations under the plan and not small businesses.
    A proposal to raise the state minimum wage to $12 per hour died in the legislature this year. Venture capitalist Nick Hanauer has vowed to put a $16 per hour minimum wage proposal before Washington state voters in 2016.

KING5
    Employees lose vacation time amid minimum wage increase

KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Wish I worked there right about now.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^ No shit!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information