• 5 Post By Clubber Lang
  • 3 Post By BITTER
  • 1 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 2 Post By twitchy2.0

Thread: Harnaam Kaur: the bearded dame

Elite Member

Default Harnaam Kaur: the bearded dame

Harnaam Kaur: the bearded dame

http://www.msn.com/en-au/health/medical/harnaam-kaur-the-bearded-dame/ar-AAaVjrt?

ABC News 6 hrs ago

© Twitter/@RadioNational Harnaam Kaur,

‘I love my beard. I say it with pride. I am fist pumping the air right now. I love my beard, I can't describe to you how much strength she has given me, just to be who I am.’

Harnaam Kaur loves her ‘lady beard’, and the enthusiasm is infectious.

Diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome at age 11, the British teacher’s aide and anti-bullying campaigner began sprouting facial hair as a teenager.

It was the bullies who made me aware about the changes to my face and the hair that I'd grown.

HARNAAM KAUR

While the bubbly 24-year-old now proudly describes herself as a ‘bearded dame’, she was severely bullied at school.

‘It was the bullies who made me aware about the changes to my face and the hair that I'd grown,’ she says.

‘Going into school every day was a horrible ordeal and I hated school, I didn’t like education. My friends were supportive to a point, but I felt that they didn't understand truly what I was going through.’

While polycystic ovary syndrome, the hormone imbalance responsible for Kaur’s facial hair, is relatively common—affecting 5 to 10 per cent of women aged 18 to 44—she felt completely alone.

She tried everything to remove the hair: shaving, using creams, threading and waxing twice a week. The process left her face covered in scabs, and children taunted her about ‘being a man’. She was depressed, anxious and suicidal.

Finally, aged just 16, she decided that enough was enough.

‘It was actually during the summer holidays that I decided to keep my beard,’ she says. ‘When school started, the reaction that I got from children was mind numbing because the taunts came and it was a daily ordeal.’

Born into a Sikh family, Kaur embraced her faith—which forbids the removal of bodily hair—as she began to grow her beard: ‘For me at the age of 16, when I did decide to be baptised and I had to keep the hair, it just fitted in with my life and I fell in love with my religion.’

Today Kaur is happy and at ease with herself—you can hear it. Though she’s proud of her beard, she distances herself from the tradition of freak show bearded ladies.

‘There is a bearded woman out there that I know who does a lot of freak shows and she's amazing,’ says Kaur. ‘She sings well and she does all these tricks, she's fantastic. But for me I think my life is totally different, I don't see that any woman is a freak.’

Despite her difficult time as a teenager, Kaur now works as a teacher’s aide. Her hope is that her presence will teach the children she works with about diversity and make them more open minded.

She has also been the face of Labels, an anti-bullying campaign and video. This year she appeared as part of Project 60, a series of portraits of bearded men by photographer Brock Elbank designed to raise awareness for melanoma.

‘It was really empowering to see my picture up there with all of these bearded men, and to be the only woman it was amazing,’ she says.

‘If the 11 year old Harnaam was at Somerset House looking at all these beards I think she would be quite shocked. I try looking at myself now as a more confident woman and I've left the 11-year-old Harnaam Kaur behind. She went through a lot of stuff and for me to actually come to this point now where I've empowered myself and I love my body for the way it is.’

*What an awesome, incredible, beautiful young lady.. and what an epic wookie beard she has .. i LOVE her, i absolutely love her!
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

If I were to accept life with a beard, I think I would want to at least be able to trim and maintain it. With that said, her beard is beautiful and glossy. More power to her for accepting herself the way she is.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

She really is beautiful.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Elite Member

Default This bearded bride photo shoot is the most breathtaking thing you'll see all day

*i posted an article about the very lovely Harnaam Kaur in the News section a few months ago.. but i had better not bump the thread as the GR grumblies , might get mad as this article isn't classed as 'News', i guess?

Personally i think Harnaam is such a beautiful person, and am absolutely lovestruck by her *swoon*..

This bearded bride photo shoot is the most breathtaking thing you'll see all day

This bearded bride photo shoot is the most breathtaking thing you'll see all day

Cosmopolitan
    Kelsey Stiegman 3/07/2015

© Urban Bridesmaid Photography Harnaam Kaur during her bearded bride photo shoot.

Harnaam Kaur first started growing facial hair at the age of 11. She was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, a condition that causes a hormone imbalance in women. From then on, her life was a constant battle; she suffered from bullying, which eventually led her to self-harm. At the age of 16, she decided enough was enough: She was going to embrace herself for exactly the person she is. Kaur stopped waxing and shaving her face to unleash the full glory of her lady beard upon the world. In an interview with Rock 'n' Roll Bride, Kaur shared her full story.

"I decided to keep my beard and step forward against society's expectations of what a woman should look like," Kaur said. "Today I am not suicidal and I do not self harm. Today I am happy living as a young beautiful bearded woman. I have realized that this body is mine, I own it, I do not have any other body to live in so I may as well love it unconditionally," she said.

Louisa Coulthurst, a photographer from Urban Bridesmaid Photography, saw a photo of Kaur at a Beard Exhibition and was instantly intrigued. She decided that Kaur would be the perfect subject of a wedding shoot she always wanted to do.

"I had always been intrigued by the thought of floral beards and a thought came to me of wouldn't it be cool to have a floral beard on a woman," Coulthurst said. "I emailed Harnaam and she was excited and wanted to get involved."

The results are absolutely stunning, proving that everyone is different, beautiful and unique in their own way.

© Urban Bridesmaid Photography/...© Urban Bridesmaid Photography/...© Urban Bridesmaid Photography

© Urban Bridesmaid Photography/......© Urban Bridesmaid Photography/........© Urban Bridesmaid Photography

Elite Member

Good for her but I would've had that shit laser removed fa shizzle.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Good for her but I would've had that shit laser removed fa shizzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Wookie-Chick* View Post
    Harnaam Kaur first started growing facial hair at the age of 11. She was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, a condition that causes a hormone imbalance in women. From then on, her life was a constant battle; she suffered from bullying, which eventually led her to self-harm.
    And there is no corrolation with the former opinion to the latter effect.....
    "I decided to keep my beard and step forward against society's expectations of what a woman should look like," Kaur said. "Today I am not suicidal and I do not self harm. Today I am happy living as a young beautiful bearded woman. I have realized that this body is mine, I own it, I do not have any other body to live in so I may as well love it unconditionally," she said.
    Kudos to her for reaching this point (above) - however, I do hope that she is getting treatment for the PCOS.

*wait for the usual "but I suffered from PCOS/bullying/self-harm/etc/etc/etc/etc/ad nauseum*
    Free Charmed.

Always and FURever...
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

*i posted an article about the very lovely Harnaam Kaur in the News section a few months ago.. but i had better not bump the thread as the GR grumblies , might get mad as this article isn't classed as 'News', i guess?
    Oh for fuck's sake. It really qualifies as "skincare".

Next time, don't make me have to merge crap.
    Froogy likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

So her religion wont allow for the removal of body hair, but she can paint herself with tattoos? Seems odd to me, but whatever...

Like any religion, there's a range. Some people are far more strict in adhering to the rules than others. I know Sikhs who don't wear the turban, who shave and cut their hair.
    Novice and Froogy like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^^ gottcha, I am not religious at all, so I thought when she cited that she embraced her religion, she was following it in it's entirety. I know nothing about that religion, so maybe hair removal is shunned but tattoos are not. It was just an observation.

As I person who has PCOS I wonder what type of medical care she is getting for this disorder , i understand that abnormal hair growth is normal with PCOS but how can this be healthy for her to have this much over production of testosterone to cause that much hair growth . Good for her for accepting herself and being happy with it .

Thread Information