Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 3 Post By sluce

Thread: Finally!!! HBO goes a la carte

Default Finally!!! HBO goes a la carte

This will so be happening in my house. I will drop our cable coverage down to the lowest possible. Together with HBO that should be about $50 a month.

HBO without cable will reportedly cost $15 a month

HBO without the rest of cable's trappings. We knew it was coming, we just didn't know when.

The International Business Times is reporting the streaming service will launch in early April, ahead of the April 12 debut of the new season of "Game of Thrones." Called "HBO Now," it will cost $15 a month, according to the IBT.
    HBO, which is owned by Time Warner, Inc. (TWX) (also the parent company of CNNMoney), is working with Apple (AAPL, Tech30) to offer the product on the Apple TV, according to the IBT. It will likely also work with other popular streaming devices like the Amazon Fire, Roku, Google Chromecast and Microsoft's (MSFT, Tech30) Xbox.
    Currently, HBO Go (the company's streaming service and mobile apps) is only available to people who pay for HBO through their cable or satellite provider. Cord cutters who pay for Internet but not cable have had to go without its original content or "borrow" a login from a friend or family member.
    HBO to sell subscriptions via the Internet
    While there are around 30 million households that pay for HBO through their cable company, there is a huge untapped market of those who want to watch HBO's shows but not sign up for a whole cable package. The company estimates there are 80 million homes without HBO.
    To avoid alienating the cable and satellite companies that pay for the rights to carry HBO -- a major lure for cable subscribers -- the channel might have some variation between what's offered on HBO Go versus HBO Now.
    Last October, HBO's CEO Richard Pleper announced plans to launch a standalone service, saying, "it is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO."

CNNMoney (San Francisco) March 4, 2015: 6:00 PM ET

HBO without cable will reportedly cost $15 a month - Mar. 4, 2015
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yes!

wait, does this mean i can get hbo on my computer without going through cable at all?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Before cable took over the world you were able to just have a box for HBO. And WHT, who was their big competition. It's a good idea to bring that back.
    Novice likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I get HBO free. Every time my rate special is up I call Comcast and say I am going to Verizon unless they give me the base rate again and give me HBO free.
    Linne, sputnik and Nevan like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

We have HBO Nordic on demand service here. basically like netflix, but with HBO Shows. New episodes come on the same day than in US or next day.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Before cable took over the world you were able to just have a box for HBO. And WHT, who was their big competition. It's a good idea to bring that back.
    We had free HBO. All the surrounding apartments had boxes and it bled over to us.

Thread Information