Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Measles outbreak after uni graduation ceremony

A*O

Default Measles outbreak after uni graduation ceremony

Two unvaccinated students have contracted measles at a Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology graduation ceremony at Etihad stadium. Other unvaccinated students are being warned they are at extreme risk from the highly infectious and dangerous disease.

Vaccinated students are pointing and laughing at them.
    Sleuth, I'mNotBitter and BoogsBun like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well, thanks to some asshole here in SoCal, we have at least 50 cases right here in Orange County. 3 probable cases in San Diego. All tied to an asshole that went to Disneyland in the middle of December. There were several cases at the beginning of the month. I think two or three even went to Utah.

One person and over 50 people have the disease in about a month.

I think they should release the name of the family who decided that this was a good idea, maybe some public shaming will get people to vaccinate. Even if you delay the schedule a bit, now is the time to do it.

A*O

Our Govt is introducing legislation to ban unvaccinated kiddies from childcare, kinder and preschool. Good.
    Dame Edna Everage

^Well if I can't put my kids (fur variety) in boarding if they're not fully vaccinated, then the human form shouldn't be out there diseasing it up in the community.
    Flygirl, SHELLEE, dexter7 and 6 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

here in San Diego everyone is in panic mode. 2 closed down urgent cares. potential cases all over the place. at a Rite-Aid store they had a patient who was there with the measles.
    they were warning everyone who was there between 4 and 7 on Jan 13th. Yeah, hub and i were there getting beer. We're fine.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Yeah, the doctors here are recommending that if you were born after 1957 that you should get tested to make sure you're immune. If not, I'm guessing you'll have to get a booster or be re-vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Yeah, the doctors here are recommending that if you were born after 1957 that you should get tested to make sure you're immune. If not, I'm guessing you'll have to get a booster or be re-vaccinated.
    i told hub what you said, he said 'fuck that' LOL. he hates doctors
    Kittylady likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i told hub what you said, he said 'fuck that' LOL. he hates doctors
    I'm not a huge fan of going to the doc. I had to get a whooping cough vaccine when I had my daughter. It was pretty brutal that year and my SO got it while I was pregnant and I got it right after I gave birth.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    here in San Diego everyone is in panic mode. 2 closed down urgent cares. potential cases all over the place. at a Rite-Aid store they had a patient who was there with the measles.
    they were warning everyone who was there between 4 and 7 on Jan 13th. Yeah, hub and i were there getting beer. We're fine.
    My sister works in the medical building where these people were. She walked in that urgent care as they were coming out. Needless to say she was pissed when she found out why they shut the UC and pharmacy that day.

Well, they have these families on tv that refuse the vaccinations because they believe they may cause autism. The one mom said that all of the parents of kids with autism would pray for measles over autism! Really? Measles is not always run of the mill. There can be some serious side effects from it. People can die, go deaf, etc. These people are slightly nuts. Then, they had this woman that really can't vaccinate her kids because her son had a terrible reaction to the MMR vax and their pediatrician recommended that her other children not receive the vax. So, she's pretty screwed and scared.

A*O

The autism/MMR scare was just that, an unproven theory (subsequently disproved) that parents of autistic kids latched onto so they could blame/explain it. The mother of a fairly severely autistic kid I know firmly believes his "symptoms" started after his MMR jab and nothing will persuade her otherwise. If blaming it helps them come to terms with their son's disability that's OK but it won't provide a cure.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Well, they have these families on tv that refuse the vaccinations because they believe they may cause autism. The one mom said that all of the parents of kids with autism would pray for measles over autism! Really? Measles is not always run of the mill. There can be some serious side effects from it. People can die, go deaf, etc. These people are slightly nuts. Then, they had this woman that really can't vaccinate her kids because her son had a terrible reaction to the MMR vax and their pediatrician recommended that her other children not receive the vax. So, she's pretty screwed and scared.
    I remember measles. Even though I was vaccinated as far as I know I got it and it hurt like hell. I was just 6 years old but I remember how badly the sides of my neck had swollen and how it hurt. The next door neighbour got fever so high she got brain damage. She was a totally normal 10 year old then suddenly she's mentally slow. It was heartbreaking because she could remember being normal and couldn't understand why she was falling behind at school and could no longer perform simple tasks.

In Greece it's not legal to send your kid to kindergarten and school unless you provide their health booklet with proof that they are up to date on their shots. It should be like this everywhere.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I can't wrap my head around how people don't understand that it's an issue of public health and safety. Misinformation is such a dangerous thing, it's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I can't wrap my head around how people don't understand that it's an issue of public health and safety. Misinformation is such a dangerous thing, it's scary.
    Because, according to these people, their understanding of health and well being for their family trumps all of ours.

There are now 70 cases that are directly linked to the Disney outbreak. 70! The health department is telling families not to go if you haven't been vaccinated. Funny thing, they were saying that only one case was from a child that was too young to be vaccinated.

My girlfriend has an 8 month old baby and she doesn't want to go anywhere because she's not protected and can't be. I had to watch the baby this week so her son could go to the doctor. Her pediatrician actually told her to not bring the baby.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information