• 2 Post By azoria
  • 1 Post By levitt

Thread: Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi Share 2014 Nobel Peace Prize

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi Share 2014 Nobel Peace Prize

BBC News - Malala and Kailash Satyarthi win Nobel Peace Prize

Malala and Kailash Satyarthi win Nobel Peace Prize
    10 October 2014 Last updated at 08:52 ET

Kailash Satyarthi and Malala Yousafzai were recognised for their efforts to improve child rights
    Related Stories

Pakistani child education activist Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi, an Indian child rights campaigner, have jointly won the Nobel Peace Prize.

At the age of just 17, Malala is the youngest ever recipient of the prize.

The teenager was shot in the head by Taliban gunmen in October 2012 for campaigning for girls' education. She now lives in Birmingham in the UK.

The Nobel committee praised the pair's "struggle against the suppression of children and young people".

Mr Satyarthi has maintained the tradition of Mahatma Gandhi and headed various forms of peaceful protests, "focusing on the grave exploitation of children for financial gain," the committee said at the Nobel Institute in Oslo.

The 60-year-old founded Bachpan Bachao Andolan, or the Save the Childhood Movement, which campaigns for child rights and an end to human trafficking.

Reacting to the news, Mr Satyarthi told the BBC: "It's a great honour for all the Indians, it's an honour for all those children who have been still living in slavery despite of all the advancement in technology, market and economy.

"And I dedicate this award to all those children in the world."

Kailash Satyarthi, seen here making a film in 1996, has fought for the rights of child labourers

Malala was taken out of her classroom in her new home city of Birmingham to hear the news on Friday.

Her father, Ziauddin Yousafzai, told the Associated Press that the prize would "boost the courage of Malala and enhance her capability to work for the cause of girls' education".

'Heroic struggle' Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, paid tribute to Malala's achievements.

"Despite her youth, Malala Yousafzai, has already fought for several years for the right of girls to education and has shown by example that children and young people too can contribute to improving their own situations," he said.

"This she has done under the most dangerous circumstances. Through her heroic struggle she has become a leading spokesperson for girls' rights to education."

The committee said it was important that a Muslim and a Hindu, a Pakistani and an Indian, had joined in what it called a common struggle for education and against extremism.

Thorbjorn Jagland head of Nobel committee, cited Malala's "heroic struggle"

This year's prize is likely to be seen as an uncontroversial choice from a Norwegian Nobel committee which has not shied away from controversy in recent years, says the BBC's Lars Bevanger in Oslo.

Norway's relations with China are still suffering after a Chinese dissident won the peace
    prize in 2010, our correspondent adds.

Malala and Mr Satyarthi will now be invited to attend an award ceremony in Oslo in December to receive a medal and $1.4m (860,000) pounds in prize money.

'Pride of Pakistan'

Malala first came to attention in 2009 after she wrote an anonymous diary for BBC Urdu about life under Taliban rule in north-west Pakistan.

She was shot when gunmen boarded her school bus in the Swat Valley.

Kailash Satyarthi said Malala was a 'wonderful young lady'

She has since recovered from the attack and has remained in the public eye, publishing an autobiography and addressing the UN General Assembly.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif congratulated Malala Yousafzai, calling her the "pride" of his country.

"Her achievement is unparalleled and unequalled. Girls and boys of the world should take the lead from her struggle and commitment," he said in a statement.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi joined thousands of Twitter users praising the pair, saying the entire nation was proud of Mr Satyarthi's "momentous achievement".

He also congratulated Malala for her "journey of immense grit and courage".

Malala was named one of Time magazine's most influential people in 2013, and awarded the EU's prestigious Sakharov human rights prize that year.

Schoolgirls in Islamabad say they "are so very proud" of Malala Yousafzai

She had been hotly tipped to win last year's Nobel Peace Prize.

Her win in 2014 takes the number of women awarded the prize to 16 out of 95.

This year's record number of 278 Nobel Peace Prize nominees included Pope Francis and Congolese gynaecologist Denis Mukwege, although the full list was kept a secret.

Former NSA contractor Edward Snowden and Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta had also been tipped as favourites for the award.

Nobel peace prize

• 95 Nobel Peace Prizes have been awarded 1901-2014
    • 16women have been awarded the prize, including Malala Yousafzai
    • 17 Malala's age, making her the youngest ever laureate
    • 62 average age of laureates when they were awarded the prize
    • 3 laureates were under arrest at the time of the award: Carl von Ossietzky, Aung San Suu Kyi & Liu Xiaobo

BBC News - Malala and Kailash Satyarthi win Nobel Peace Prize
    Last edited by dougie; October 10th, 2014 at 09:58 PM.

Awesome, glad to especially hear about Malala!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I love that they had a Pakistani and an Indian share the prize. Their governments must be pissed
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I was watching an interview with her yesterday, and her (seeming) full recovery from the assassination is just mind boggling.

Default Malala Yousafzai 17, awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

Malala Yousafzai talks about girls’ rights in Nigeria on July 14. Malala, 17, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for her efforts of behalf of girls. (Wole Emmanuel/Agence France-Pres via Getty Images) October 10 at 12:28 PM
    Taliban attack survivor Malala Yousafzai became the youngest Nobel winner ever as she and Kailash Satyarthi of India won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for working to protect children from slavery, extremism and child labor at great risk to their own lives.
    Malala, 17, said she was surprised when a teacher interrupted her school day with news that she had won.
    “I felt more powerful and more courageous because this award is not just a piece of metal,” she said in a news conference after school. “This is really an encouragement for me to go forward and to believe in myself and know that there are people who are supporting me.”
    Malala was shot by a Taliban gunman two years ago for insisting that girls as well as boys have the right to an education. Surviving several operations, she continued both her activism and her studies.
    Satyarthi has worked since 1980 to end child slavery and child labor.
    “Child slavery is a crime against humanity. Humanity itself is at stake here. A lot of work still remains, but I will see the end of child labor in my lifetime,” Satyarthi told the Associated Press at his office in New Delhi, India.
    Nobel Prize Committee Chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said it was important to reward both an Indian Hindu and a Pakistani Muslim for their common struggle for education and against extremism.
    “There is a lot of extremism coming from this part of the world. It is partly coming from the fact that young people don’t have a future. They don’t have education. They don’t have a job,” Jagland said.
    Raised in Pakistan’s beautiful, but dangerous Swat Valley, Malala was 11 years old when she began championing girls’ education, speaking out in TV interviews. The Taliban had overrun her home town of Mingora, terrorizing residents, threatening to blow up girls’ schools, ordering female teachers and students to wear burqas, robes that cover all but the eyes.
    She was critically injured on October 9, 2012, when a Taliban gunman boarded her school bus and shot her in the head. She survived through luck — the bullet did not enter her brain — and by the quick intervention of British doctors visiting Pakistan.
    Flown to Britain for treatment, she underwent many surgeries but made a strong recovery. Malala now lives with her father, mother and two brothers in Birmingham, England, and has been showered with human rights prizes.
    Yet her memoir, “I Am Malala,” published last year, reminded the world that she was still just a teenager — one who likes TV shows such as “Ugly Betty” and the cooking show “MasterChef,” who worries about her clothes and her hair and wishes she were taller.
    Malala and Satyarthi will split the award of $1.1 million. The prize, along with Nobel awards in sciences and literature, will be handed out on December 10, the anniversary of the death of Swedish industrialist and prize founder Alfred Nobel.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...97b_story.html

Yes.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

YYESSSSS!!!

I am so proud that the halfwits on the Nobel committee finally got one right. About time.

You go girl!
    kasippu and Brookie like this.

Bronze Member

This is soooo awesome :-D!!

Issw an interview with both yesterday.
    Free Charmed.

She just blows my mind.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by Air Quotes View Post
    She just blows my mind.
    I'm going to hell because this made me laugh.

Poor love lives in Birmingham too, she really did deserve some sort of prize for that.
    Kittylady likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I watched the video of her acceptance, I HIGHLY recommend it. She is simply amazing
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Elite Member

Two magnificent people and a hearty congratulations and a HUGE Well Done.

i wish them both all the very best.

Malala, what an incredible young lady she is.

And here i had given up on the Noble Peace Prize after they awarded one to that bloody Bono in 2008.. haha

Thread Information