Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 'Bloodied' Kent State sweatshirt removed from Urban Outfitters website

Default 'Bloodied' Kent State sweatshirt removed from Urban Outfitters website

The fashion retailer Urban Outfitters removed a “vintage” sweatshirt from sale after allegations that it appeared to be stained with blood, recalling deadly Vietnam war protests when National Guardsmen shot and killed four students at the university depicted on the garment.
    The company said that it had not intended to allude to the events at Kent State university in Ohio in 1970, when four students died and nine others were wounded.
    “Urban Outfitters sincerely apologizes for any offense our Vintage Kent State Sweatshirt may have caused. It was never our intention to allude to the tragic events that took place at Kent State in 1970 and we are extremely saddened that this item was perceived as such,” a company spokesperson said on Monday.

On 4 May 1970, the third night of on-campus Vietnam war protests turned violent when National Guardsmen opened fire on students on the Ohio campus.

A friend cries out over the body of Jeffrey Miller, one of the four students killed at a peace demonstration at Kent State University. Photograph: John Filo/Getty

Public outcry against the sweatshirt began around on Sunday. Urban Outfitters offered the sweatshirt as “washed soft and perfectly broken in,” a single item for $129.
    “We take great offense to a company using our pain for their publicity and profit,” said Kent State spokesperson Emily Vincent. “This item is beyond poor taste and trivializes a loss of life that still hurts the Kent State community today.”
    The sweatshirt was removed from the website by Monday morning. It was originally intended to be part of the company’s “sun-faded vintage” collection, and there was no blood on the shirt, the spokesperson said. “The red stains are discoloration from the original shade of the shirt and the holes are from natural wear and fray,” the spokesperson said.

'Bloodied' Kent State sweatshirt removed from Urban Outfitters website | World news | theguardian.com

Wtf were they thinking? I'll just leave this here

I'mNotBitter and Shinola like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Stunt queen move. Assholes.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

"It was never our intention to allude to the tragic events that took place at Kent State in 1970"

Liar liar pants on fire
    gas_chick and Cinnamon*Girl like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I can't believe the backpedaling! They knew full well what this was and if they didn't they're idiots. Trying to say the "bloodstains" are from the vintage process and deposits of dye? Give me a break.
    Kittylady and Cinnamon*Girl like this.

Oh right, the bloodstains and holes were normal fading and wear and tear. Totally convincing argument.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

The fuck is the matter with these assholes?
    Laurent and Kittylady like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    The fuck is the matter with these assholes?
    They're corporate whores who put out anything, the more revolting the better, so long as it gets them publicity? Hell, they wouldn't even need to manufacture anything, just offer it as Exclusive Online and then when the predicted outrage starts claim to have cancelled shipping and issue refunds to anyone who "bought" it.
    chartreuse likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Jeebus why bother to lie. You know what it is. Stand up and admit it.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Lame publicity stunt. I have equal amount of hate for urban outfitters, hollister/Abercrombie, and anthropologie. They all run together into the same company in my mind. I don't think anthropologie pulls stunts like this, they're just ungodly expensive for the quality so that's why they remind me of UO and Abercrombie.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Elite Member

It was originally intended to be part of the company’s “sun-faded vintage” collection, and there was no blood on the shirt, the spokesperson said. “The red stains are discoloration from the original shade of the shirt and the holes are from natural wear and fray,” the spokesperson said.
    Bull. Shit. Perhaps they should do the University of Texas next.
    greysfang likes this.

I wouldn't be shocked if the decision makers behind this sweatshirt were just total fucking twits who had never heard a thing about the Kent State murders. And that's no excuse, just an indictment of cultural denial, helicopter parenting, and shitty education. If UO are so goddamn hip, could someone there please whip out a tech device and shake hands with Mr. Google, thanks.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

The red stains are discoloration from the original shade of the shirt and the holes are from natural wear and fray,” the spokesperson said.
    Nice try asswipe, but Kent State's colors are blue and gold.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if the decision makers behind this sweatshirt were just total fucking twits who had never heard a thing about the Kent State murders.
    I think it's too on the nose for whoever came up with it not to know what it was implying. And the people who green lighted it almost certainly did, too - otherwise, why randomly choose Kent State to promote?

I think they thought that it was provocative, and thought that since it happened 44 years ago, UO's target demographic probably wouldn't be offended.
    chartreuse likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I have no doubt UO knew exactly what they were doing. Most of their customers sadly, on the other hand, really don't know what it meant.
    chartreuse likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information