Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Earthquake in California

Default Earthquake in California

Woke up to hear there was 6-6.1 quake in the Napa area. Cali members please check in. I think czb is closest to that area.
    Froogy likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb, kathie_moffett, i think palermo, maybe mme vertigina?? I think a few more.

We didn't feel it down here. I should say that I didn't feel it.

Local news is saying there are dozens injured and there are fires.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Strongest quake in 25 years strikes Bay Area - CNN.com

Strongest quake in 25 years strikes California's Bay Area
    By Josh Levs, Rick Martin, and Carma Hassan, CNN
    updated 11:27 AM EDT, Sun August 24, 2014
    Source: CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • NEW: Water main ruptures and fires break out in aftermath of earthquake, fire officials say
    • USGS estimates about a million felt shaking between moderate and severe
    • The quake's magnitude was 6.0, with two aftershocks so far
    • There were some local reports of injuries; 15,000 are without power

(CNN) -- A 6.0-magnitude earthquake struck Northern California early Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

It was the strongest to hit the Bay Area since 1989, when a quake struck during the World Series.

Sunday's earthquake struck 4 miles northwest of American Canyon, 6 miles southwest of Napa, and 9 miles southeast of Sonoma, according to the USGS.

There were some local reports of injuries, and 15,000 customers in and around Sonoma, Napa, and Santa Rosa lost power, according to Pacific Gas and Electric Company.

A water main ruptured in downtown Napa and a handful of structural fires broke out, according to the Napa city fire department.

CNN affiliate KTVU reported a church in Vallejo was heavily damaged and lost its bell tower.

The USGS estimated, based on their locations, that 15,000 people experienced severe shaking, 106,000 people felt very strong shaking, 176,000 felt strong shaking, and 738,000 felt moderate shaking.

Wine country hit
    "I've got a lot of broken wine, being here in Napa," said Emily Massimi, who was woken up by the quake. "We tend to collect wine, so I have wine all over my kitchen, and glass, and pictures off the wall and books off of bookshelves," she told CNN.

At Silver Oak Winery, owner David Silver spent the morning cleaning up hundreds of broken wine bottles that fell off the shelves.

"Those bottles were very unique," he said. They were part of his private collection and worth hundreds of dollars. "It's a tragedy, but it's nothing we can't overcome." Silver said he plans to open the winery today.

The quake jolted downtown Napa resident Karen Lynch. "The refrigerator flew open and all the food fell out," she told CNN.

"It was not like other quakes we have felt," Lynch said. "This was a violent quake, jolting us to and fro."

There have been two aftershocks so far, according to the USGS, one registering at 2.5 and the other a 3.6 magnitude.

Strongest quake in 25 years strikes Bay Area - CNN.com

"I've got a lot of broken wine, being here in Napa," said Emily Massimi, who was woken up by the quake.
    No, not the wine!
    BITTER, Brookie, Beeyotch and 1 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Elite Member

Oh wow, I hope everyone is staying safe.

How are our Cali GR members? You guys ok? My thoughts are with you guys and everyone there.
    whitetigeress likes this.

Ugh - all that liquor destroyed! The horror.

Yeah, all you guys okay? Check in when you can (not like you don't have anything else to do). xoxo
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Ι hope all our people are fine,no i hope there will be no lives lost..my heart goes out to those affected..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

We are good here in the High Desert. We are about 6 hours south from where it hit. Just waitin' for our turn. We sit on both the San Andreas and Garlock faultlines.
    kasippu likes this.

Stock up on boxed wine and cross your fingers.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    czb, kathie_moffett, i think palermo, maybe mme vertigina?? I think a few more.

We didn't feel it down here. I should say that I didn't feel it.

Local news is saying there are dozens injured and there are fires.
    You are so sweet to think of me! We're fine. We are most definitely rethinking what clothing and shoes options that we should have readily available right by the bed, but no one was injured over here! I hope all of the other Cali posters are doing as well.
    kasippu, yanna and KrisNine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    You are so sweet to think of me! We're fine. We are most definitely rethinking what clothing and shoes options that we should have readily available right by the bed, but no one was injured over here! I hope all of the other Cali posters are doing as well.
    We love you around here!! Glad you're all safe.

We're thinking about keeping safer items next to the bed. i would have to scramble to my closet. I sleep in a t shirt.

We're in the foothills of the Santa Ana mountains, so I'm sure there must be a fault under there some place.

where's czb?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    We're thinking about keeping safer items next to the bed. i would have to scramble to my closet. I sleep in a t shirt.

We're in the foothills of the Santa Ana mountains, so I'm sure there must be a fault under there some place.
    i was naked when the big earthquake hit Chile 4 years ago. i'd been to a party that night too and was drunk so i basically stripped on my way to bed from the front door and all i had on was underwear. thankfully i didn't have to be evacuated and i used my cell phone as a flashlight to look for a bathrobe and flip flops (broken glass everywhere) before going outside or opening the door for my neighbours. they had to go through my back door in the kitchen to get outside because the front door of the building had an electric lock type thing so that even if you had the key, it wouldn't open if the power was out, which shouldn't have been the case but there was something wrong with it and after that night, building management fixed it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Ι hope all our people are fine,no i hope there will be no lives lost..my heart goes out to those affected..

My heart goes out to all the broken wine !!!*weeps uncontrollably

Meanwhile, I have full faith our GRs are safe and sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information