Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 1 Post By deenz
  • 3 Post By McJag
  • 1 Post By SHELLEE

Thread: Air Algérie flight AH5017 wreckage found in Mali

Default Air Algérie flight AH5017 wreckage found in Mali

Air Algérie flight AH5017 wreckage found in Mali

Plane flying from Burkina Faso to Algeria is discovered in Tilemsi after losing contact with air traffic controllers

Ouagadougou airport in Burkina Faso, where the Air Algérie plane took off. Photograph: Ahmed Ouoba/AFP/Getty Images

The wreckage of Air Algérie flight AH5017 from Burkina Faso to Algeria, which disappeared from radar with 116 people on board, has been discovered in Tilemsi, Mali.

The French media is quoting Zoheir Houaoui of Air Algérie as saying the plane was carrying 50 French passengers, six Algerians, one Malian, one Belgian, two from Luxembourg, five Canadians, one from Cameroon, four Germans, one Nigerian, eight Lebanese, one Romanian, 24 from Burkino Faso and six so far unidentified passengers. The six crew members – two pilots and four stewards – were all Spanish.
    The French president, François Hollande, has called an emergency meeting with the prime minister, Manuel Valls, foreign minister, Laurent Fabius, defence minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, as well as the interior and the transport ministers, for 5pm French time.
    Air traffic controllers lost contact with the Swiftair-owned MD-83 about 50 minutes after takeoff at 1.17am local time (0117 GMT), said an Algerian aviation official. The news was not made public until several hours after the flight's scheduled 5.10am arrival in Algiers, by which time officials from Algeria, Burkina Faso and France had issued conflicting details.

The flight path of the plane from Burkina Faso's capital, Ouagadougou, was not immediately clear. The city is in a nearly straight line south of Algiers, passing over Mali, where unrest continues. Rebels who have seized the northern fringe of Mali do not have weapons capable of bringing down a commercial jet at cruising altitude, a Malian official told the Guardian. "What they have is shoulder-fired weapons, and rocket-propelled grenades."
    The flight had asked to change route at 1.38am because of a storm, Burkina Faso's transport authorities said. Powerful sandstorms are frequent throughout the Sahara's northern belt around this time of year. Aviation officials in Burkina said they had handed the flight to a control tower in Niger's capital, Niamey, at 1.38am, and that last contact was at about 4.30am. That contradicted an Algerian aviation official, who said the last contact was at 0155 GMT when the plane was flying over Gao, Mali.
    According to the Spanish sports daily Marca, the SwiftAir aircraft was used as the official aircraft for Real Madrid FC between 2007 and 2009.
    The French radio station Europe 1 suggested it had been told the number of French on board could be as high as 80. The French transport ministry would only confirm "a number" of French people were on the plane. Of the French passengers, 22 were due to transfer to flights to Paris or Marseilles after landing at Algiers.
    French troops are in Mali as part of the ongoing Operation Serval, which started at the beginning of last year and is aimed at ousting Islamist militants in the north of the country.

Hollande was due to fly to the French Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Thursday afternoon, but delayed his flight to follow developments.

Air Algérie flight AH5017 wreckage found in Mali | World news | theguardian.com
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

It is the third major event happening to a plane within a week.....scary.

At least it wasn't shot down - that we know of.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

WTH is going on?
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Probably nothing. Planes go down all the time. List of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*invests heavily in aluminum foil stock*
    sluce and Brookie like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Gold Member

I know that you're supposedly safer flying than you are driving but... when I come home from vacation at the end of August, I'm taking a banana boat.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    I know that you're supposedly safer flying than you are driving but... when I come home from vacation at the end of August, I'm taking a banana boat.
    Beware of tarantulas.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

eh, they're basically harmless unless you are allergic. *wishes jezi would come back.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

and they're small compared to some of those damn Florida bugs.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    and they're small compared to some of those damn Florida bugs.
    The dreaded flying palmetto bug. Ugh, one was terrorizing us last night. Sil and and I had to go to a different entrance and have my brother let us in. Yeah, I'm a pussy in that way.
    *edit to add that a bailiff killed a scorpian in one of the courtrooms yesterday*
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Oh I could handle a scorpion way better than a goddamn flying roach. "Palmetto bugs" my ass.

It's not about harmless, it's about the disgust factor.

I'll pass on both and that goes for the poisonous millipede too.

Too many of those bugs are aggressive little bastards. But on the other hand....recently some friends of mine and I were walking in a park near here and a small rattlesnake emerged from the grass onto the paved path ahead of us. One of my friends began shrieking, "agggh! a SNAKE! STOP!!!" and the snake took one look at her and literally backed away as fast as his wiggles could go. Like "feets don't fail me now!" except, not.

Right with ya on the palmetto bug issue, Shellie.

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Thread Information