Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: NY Officials approve of "Poor Door" separate entrance for low income residents

Default NY Officials approve of "Poor Door" separate entrance for low income residents

NYC Officials Approve ‘Poor Door’ Separate Entrance for Low-Income Tenants

A sketch of the proposed building

Very soon, the imaginary line between the rich and the poor could be separated by an actual door. New York City officials have approved a "back door" proposal that will allow a high-rise condo building to create separate entrances for those living in the affordable-housing section of the building, the New York Post reports.

And in case you think you read that wrong, let me state clearly that the idea here is that those who can afford the swankier digs in the unit can use the glitzy front entrance, while those who are in less-expensive accommodations will use the back-alley entrance.

The "poor door," as it has come to be known, became the center of controversy last year when developer Extell introduced the idea regarding a 33-story luxury condo on Manhattan's Upper West Side. The condo would include affordable-housing tenants, who would have to enter the building through a separate entrance, according to the New York Post.

A spokesman for the city's Department of Housing Preservation and Development told the Post that Extell's application for the Inclusionary Housing Program had been approved—complete with the "poor door."

According to the paper, developers are allowed to build large properties as long as they include affordable housing. This new development "will have 219 units overlooking the waterfront and 55 affordable units in a 'building segment' facing the street," the Post reports.

Gale Brewer, Manhattan's borough president, told the paper that city officials will reject future developments with separate entrances.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/07/ny_officials_approve_poor_door_separate_entrance_f or_low_income_tenants.html

NYC Approves Building Where Poor People Must Use Back Door

Discrimination in the Big City of Dreams

New York City’s Department of Housing Preservation and Development approved plans this week by real estate developer Extell for their new building on 40 Riverside Boulevard. The 33-story tower will have 219 units, 55 of which will be designated for low-income renters. Sounds good all around, but there’s one little quirk in the plan that’s making city residents angry.

Because of NYC’s Inclusionary Housing Program, by including low-income apartments in the building Extell can build bigger than is normally allowed–and Extell gets a nice tax break to boot. But the company has drawn fire for its proposal to include two main entrances to the building–one leading to the standard-price units and another–built on “a back alley”–servicing the low-income units.

David von Spreckelsen, SVP of Toll Brothers (whose towers on North 5th Street in Brooklyn employ a similar arrangement), is quoted as saying: “I think it’s unfair to expect very high-income homeowners who paid a fortune to live in their building to have to be in the same boat as low-income renters, who are very fortunate to live in a new building in a great neighborhood.” There are many in the city who disagree, but it looks like the Department of Housing Preservation and Development isn’t one of them.

What the fuck?!? I...what?
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

disgusting, and what's almost funny is that I expect the "low-income" residents will not be low income in the traditional sense. probably just normal.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

this will help the robbers know which door to target.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

The poor one because it will have less security?
    sputnik, MmeVertigina and msdeb like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

David von Spreckelsen, SVP of Toll Brothers (whose towers on North 5th Street in Brooklyn employ a similar arrangement), is quoted as saying: “I think it’s unfair to expect very high-income homeowners who paid a fortune to live in their building to have to be in the same boat as low-income renters, who are very fortunate to live in a new building in a great neighborhood.”

So very arrogant. Yuck.
    arie_skop likes this.

SVP of Troll Brothers more like
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Despite it being called the "poor door" NYC building regulations actually require the building to have 2 separate entrances based on it's design under the Inclusionary Housing Program. Many, many buildings in NYC have 2 separate entrance doors when the agree to provide inclusionary housing.

Regarding the low income tenants, the city has VERY stringent requirements to qualify. These people actually are low income. Keep in mind the average 1 bedroom 700 sq ft. apartment in the Bronx rents for over $1,000 a month. (The Bronx has the lowest rental rates) The low income tenants in the these new buildings could never touch the market rate rents in Manhattan or Brooklyn without qualifying for these subsidies. They'll only be paying 20% of the market value rate on their unit.

I know it *sounds* wrong and snobbish and obnoxious, but I can kind of see the viewpoint from the Richie Riches side.

Bad, undesirable stuff is many times engendered by the low-income housing. I'm thinking of the meth junkie who lives on my corner in a very nice section 8 building. And in the same building, the weird buff guy with a mean pit bull who has a lot of different people who don't live here, coming in and out of his apartment at all times.

*eta: Oh and in San Francisco we lived in a nice renovated apartment but the unit below was a half-way house. I had to step over crackheads on my steps just to walk my dog. Not fun.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; August 1st, 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Elite Member

I know I'm going to hell for this, but "poor door" cracked me up.

low income in this building's case is under $51 K per year. Not exactly poverty, even in NYC. That income being the bar would put lots of peeps into the low income, lowlife, high crime category. Anyway, i find this whole thing gross. It's like the old 'colored' signs on entrenches.
    chartreuse, sputnik, Brah and 2 others like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    low income in this building's case is under $51 K per year. Not exactly poverty, even in NYC. That income being the bar would put lots of peeps into the low income, lowlife, high crime category. Anyway, i find this whole thing gross. It's like the old 'colored' signs on entrenches.
    From my understanding it's under 51k for family of 4. That's lower middle in NYC terms imo.

And solidly middle almost anywhere else. Hardly de facto undesirables. In fact, its almost exactly the US median household income.
    angelais likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    And solidly middle almost anywhere else. Hardly de facto undesirables. In fact, its almost exactly the US median household income.
    Oh I totally agree. It's not poor by any means elsewhere but you're struggling hard on that in NYC as a family of four. One of the requirements is a credit score of at least 700.

People that make less than 50k generally don't have 700 credit scores. In general.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information