Thread: Anthony (Opie and Anthony) Cumia fired - again. This time for racist tweets

Default Anthony (Opie and Anthony) Cumia fired - again. This time for racist tweets

'Opie & Anthony's' Anthony Cumia fired over tweets

(CNN) -- "Opie & Anthony" has been cut in half.
    Anthony Cumia, the "Anthony" portion of the shock-jock radio team, was fired by employer Sirius XM after Cumia made a series of racially charged tweets Wednesday night.
    "SiriusXM has terminated its relationship with Anthony Cumia of the 'Opie & Anthony' channel," Patrick Reilly, the satellite radio broadcaster's media relations manager, said in a statement.
    "The decision was made, and Cumia informed, late Thursday, July 3, after careful consideration of his racially-charged and hate-filled remarks on social media. Those remarks and postings are abhorrent to SiriusXM, and his behavior is wholly inconsistent with what SiriusXM represents."
    According to Cumia, on Wednesday night he was taking pictures in Times Square when an African-American woman objected to being photographed. Cumia claims he was assaulted by the woman.
    He let loose with a series of tweets, many with profane and inflammatory language. One called the woman an "animal pig face worthless meat sack" and worse.
    He did not report the alleged assault to the police. When asked why by one person on Twitter, he responded, "Because I can take some punches w/out wasting the cops time."

RT @aefing: @MBHockey77 WHERE is the police report then? You screwed up. -Because I can take some punches w/out wasting the cops time.

Cumia appeared to be caught by surprise by the firing.
    "Sirius decided to cave and fire me. Welcome to bizarro world. Fired for s**t that wasn't even on the air & wasn't illegal. So, who's next?" he tweeted Friday morning.
    Sirius decided to cave and fire me. Welcome to bizarro world. Fired for shit that wasn't even on the air & wasn't illegal. So, who's next?

It's not the first time the duo has been in trouble. In 2003, a stunt called "Sex for Sam," which involved people having sex in public places in exchange for prizes, got the pair canceled from New York's WNEW.

I don't know who this guy is, but calling someone an "animal pig face worthless meat sack" isn't exactly racist. It's a terribly shitty thing to say, but not racist. I'm guessing he said some other things?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I don't know who this guy is, but calling someone an "animal pig face worthless meat sack" isn't exactly racist. It's a terribly shitty thing to say, but not racist. I'm guessing he said some other things?
    Yeah, he has a long history. I'll get to more of it tomorrow. He also has some very, very angry followers.

^^i figured as much.

Anthony Cumia, of Opie & Anthony radio fame, launched a misogynistic, racially charged rant after he was allegedly roughed up by a woman in Times Square.
    The 53-year-old shock jock said he was repeatedly punched by the woman early Tuesday while innocently snapping pictures and she accidentally got into a frame.
    “So I’m taking pix in NYC & a black girl who was in frame punched me in the face. I called her a f–king “&$;;-:” cause that’s what she WAS!” the always articulate radio personality tweeted on Wednesday.
    Then she punched me 5 more times. She’s lucky I was a white legal gun owner or she’d be dead. Then 5 blacks started giving me shit!
    — Anthony Cumia (@AnthonyCumia) July 2, 2014
    Anthony has been on a non-stop Twitter rant ever since, claiming white people are easy targets of African-Americans.
    Among his more incendiary tweets:
    It’s really open season on white people in this day and age. No recourse. Fight back and you’re a racist. The predators know this. Good luck
    The switch to violence is immediate. No discussion, just violence. When will THAT be addressed? Oh, right, never. Slavery did it? Oh, ok.
    The NYPD had no assault reports from anyone named Anthony or Tony Cumia this week, law enforcement sources said.
    Reps for SiriusXM, which carries the “Opie & Anthony” show, could not be immediately reached for comment on Thursday.
    Cumia posted several pictures of the woman he claims roughed him up.
    “Here’s a blurry shot of her taking another swing. See her claw in the lower left? It’s bound for my head,” Cumia wrote.
    “Here she is all up in my face. Mouth flippin’ and yappin’. She had already sucker punched me so I snapped a pic.”
    Cumia also said the woman was the first to hurl a racial slur.
    “The 1st words out of her dumb a-s mouth after punching me in the head were `white motherf–ker’ but I’m the racist here? Bizarro land!” he ranted.
    “I was assaulted and used `mean’ words on twitter and I’M the bad guy in all this? Lol! This fucking world is completely ass backwards!”
    Cumia demanded he be viewed as the sympathetic figure here and insisted he’s no bigot.
    “My posts on Twitter after I was assaulted were profanity laced indeed but racist? Nope. Why should I afford my attacker any courtesy. Insane,” he tweeted.

Thread Information