Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Laurent
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By manningmsj
  • 1 Post By Flygirl

Thread: Miss Delaware Amanda Longacre Loses Her Crown Over Age ; Officials Say She's Too Old

fgg

Default Miss Delaware Amanda Longacre Loses Her Crown Over Age ; Officials Say She's Too Old

Miss Delaware Amanda Longacre Loses Her Crown Over Age Dispute; Officials Say She's Too Old at 24

Two weeks after Amanda Longacre was crowned Miss Delaware, pageant officials took away the title because of a dispute over her age, claiming that Longacre, who turns 25 in October, is too old to be eligible

Age, it turns out, is not just a number for the Miss America Organization. Two weeks after she was crowned Miss Delaware in her state's pageant on June 14, Amanda Longacre lost the title because of an age dispute. Rules state that contestants in the Miss America pageant must be 17 to 24 years old; Longacre turns 25 in October, a month after the competition.

In a video about the controversy, posted by Delaware Online, Longacre claims she checked with pageant supervisors about the age requirement prior to enrolling; they reportedly told her that she was eligible to compete as long as she was 24 at the time of the actual pageant, which takes place in September.

Earlier this week, however, the Bear, Del., resident was told she could no longer represent the state and would be stripped of her title and $11,000 scholarship. A new Miss Delaware, runner-up Brittany Lewis, also 24, was crowned Thursday, June 26.

"Following the Miss Delaware Pageant, it was determined that Amanda Longacre exceeded the age requirement in order to be eligible to compete, therefore, the Miss Delaware 2014 title is awarded to Brittany Lewis," the organization said in a release, per USA Today. "The Miss Delaware Pageant is proud to congratulate Brittany and wishes Amanda the very best on her future endeavors."

Longacre appeared on NBC's Today show on Friday, June 27, to talk about the controversy. During the interview, she reiterated that she'd turned over all the proper documentation about her age, and that the board had signed off on her application. "I deserve to represent my state," she said, adding that she was speaking with an attorney. Later, when one of the hosts brought up Lewis' crowning, she broke down crying.

She also cried in the Delaware Online video. "Now I have lost everything -- my scholarship money for school, my prizes, and my crown -- all because of a technicality that was not caught by the executive board," she said through tears.

Read more: Miss Delaware Amanda Longacre Loses Crown Over Age; Too Old at 24? - Us Weekly

i would be so pissed!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Plus, she's living in Delaware.....

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    She also cried in the Delaware Online video. "Now I have lost everything --
    They could at least toss her a free AARP membership parting gift.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

It's a tough situation. She's 24 and childless and no man will probably ever want her at this point. I did notice, though, that the Benedictine Sisters have a convent in Wilmington.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

so, pageant contestants can't count and neither can the organisers? quelle surprise.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You spend more than 10,000 on your wardrobe alone for Miss America.. Of course that had to give it to the girl who will actually be competing.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but if her birthday is a month after the Miss America contest, doesn't that place her within the age guidelines? She'll still be 24 at the time of the competition. Is there a caveat I'm missing? Do those restrictions apply to just the competition or the entire year a contestant could possibly be crowned? Or maybe something in the middle, like you have to be at least six months away from 25?

In any case, aside from the melodramatic reaction, I feel bad for her. If they made the mistake, they shouldn't penalize her for it. They let her compete and she no doubt spent a lot of money to do so. The least they could do is let her keep the prizes she earned, even if they did have to bar her from the big pageant.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Local news last night reported that they have decided she will still get the scholarship money but cannot have the title.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^^^ See, that's fair enough. I know she probably isn't satisfied and my inability to relate to these pageant chicks is probably hindering my empathy here, but I'd take the money and skip off. I felt bad that she lost her scholarship for school, but that's about it. If she's still whining that she lost everything, she'll go from pitiable to punchable in record time.
    Flygirl likes this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    she'll go from pitiable to punchable in record time.
    already there
    manningmsj likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Seriously? It's not like she lied about her age and is now getting caught. She was upfront with them and now she is being punished because of their stupidity. Unbelievable!

Thread Information