Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By *Kat*
  • 3 Post By sputnik
  • 2 Post By Shinola
  • 2 Post By Kittylady

Thread: Female reporter barred from Utah courthouse due to bare shoulders

Default Female reporter barred from Utah courthouse due to bare shoulders

Female Reporter Barred From Court For The Crime Of Having Bare Shoulders

A sleeveless blouse seems like a pretty harmless wardrobe choice for a summer day, but not according to security in one Utah courthouse.

Ogden Standard-Examiner reporter Morgan Briesmaster recently showed up to cover a trial, and security told her she couldn't enter the courtroom in her attire.

The offending outfit? A sleeveless blouse with a high neckline that looks pretty professional in our opinion.

The Standard-Examiner reported that Briesmaster's colleague covered the session while she waited out in the lobby and then they went back to the newsroom during a break for something to cover her shoulders. She returned to the courtroom in a winter coat because it was the only thing they could find.

State courts public information officer Nancy Volmer told the newspaper that while there is a dress code, the incident seems "unusual," while other reporters said they have seen "worse" violations than a sleeveless blouse in the courtroom.
    Last edited by Moongirl; June 9th, 2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Add pic

What a whore
    Froogy, msdeb and ConstanceSpry like this.

Slut

She asking to get sexually assaulted dressing like a whore from Babylon
    I swear some of the stuff that comes out of some of these ultra conservative states makes me think we are living in 1814 instead of 2014

trying really hard to muster some feminist outrage but... nothing.

sure, it's a stupid dress code but i'm not sure it's sexist. lots of people work in places with strict dress codes for men and women. i know women who have to wear hose and closed toe shoes even in summer. Not letting this type of sleeveless blouse in seems a bit on the severe side but then lots of places have very strict dress codes for court.
    twitchy2.0, A*O and BelledeJour like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

it's a court in utah. i'm not surprised. still, fucking stupid.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

sure, it's a stupid dress code but i'm not sure it's sexist. lots of people work in places with strict dress codes for men and women. i know women who have to wear hose and closed toe shoes even in summer. Not letting this type of sleeveless blouse in seems a bit on the severe side but then lots of places have very strict dress codes for court.
    I thought the court was being ridiculous, until your post made me think.....men are not allowed to wear tank tops in court, so why would women be allowed to wear the equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

I worked for a very conservative company for several years. Sounds like our dress code. Men had to wear shirts, ties, dress pants, dress shoes, etc. Women had to sleeves. No tank tops, no sleeveless, no shells without jackets. Dresses and skirts had to be worn with hose and no open toe shoes. Nothing sheer and no tattoos/piercings showing.

I wore pants almost every, single day. I only wore skirts in the winter, because I could wear dark tights and boots.

That's not a tank top, that's a sleeveless blouse and perfectly fine to wear in a courtroom. Our female lawyers wear this kind of thing (usually with a jacket) but a reporter would have no worries wearing this. Maybe it's because I'm from a hot country.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I think it's a crock. Unless the court had either stated rules or a consistent enforcement re. attire, my suspicion is that this woman was singled out.

Because anecdote ...

When I worked as an alternative-news intern helping to cover some political events in Middle America, I was picked on because I was a young, vulnerable-looking woman and identifiably part of the "liberal" press. Examples: At a prayer meeting, a beefy middle-aged man sitting behind me took his newspaper and smacked me suddenly on the shoulder, hard, and said tauntingly, "Are you gonna take a picture of that? Why don't you take a picture of that?" etc., referring to, I guess, the pastor or something? I also remember that a political-party higher-up deliberately smashed into me as I was walking through a crowd and smirked as he walked away.

Nice Christians, eh? Note that the reporters I was with were men and older than I was. They weren't harassed, and I was. So part of the crap was that I was media, part of it was that I was young and purty, part of it that I was female.
    chartreuse and Kittylady like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ And so it should be. Don't you know that you hold the remote control that operates the pecker of all good, conservative Christian men? Shame on you for making them have unwanted thoughts and have to take time out of their busy day to take you down a peg or two. I hope you learned your lesson and are safely back in your kitchen.
    Alysheba and chartreuse like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I worked for a very conservative company for several years. Sounds like our dress code. Men had to wear shirts, ties, dress pants, dress shoes, etc. Women had to sleeves. No tank tops, no sleeveless, no shells without jackets. Dresses and skirts had to be worn with hose and no open toe shoes. Nothing sheer and no tattoos/piercings showing.

I wore pants almost every, single day. I only wore skirts in the winter, because I could wear dark tights and boots.
    Same here, but it was the '80s. My boss was really old school, and if he didn't like what you were wearing, he would tell you. Business suits or dresses, pantyhose and pumps (with a purse to match) whether it was 90 degrees or below zero. Even pants were frowned on. I spent a fortune on clothes and drycleaning, not to mention all those silk blouses. Definitely nothing sleeveless. The place I worked at through the 90s was the same until they went business casual on Fridays, which I hated, because guys could wear polos and dockers and topsiders, never did quite figure out what business casual for women meant. Well, it meant spending more money on clothes because the ones I had were either business or casual. Then they went to all casual all the time. Great, then I had 2 closets full of clothes I'd never wear again.

Maybe Utah's in a time warp. Not all that surprising.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

I was hoping it said bare arms get it?
    It's Utah, they don't air a bunch of shows out there because of odd things, this shouldn't be that surprising.

Thread Information