Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Pensioner reported missing from care home, found at D-Day celebrations in France

Default Pensioner reported missing from care home, found at D-Day celebrations in France

Pensioner who hid medals and absconded from care home found at D-Day celebrations in France

The 89-year old was reported missing from his Hove care home but actually sneaked onboard a coach for a final reunion with his D-Day comrades across the Channel

Bernard Jordan, former mayor of Hove, was identified as the veteran who absconded from his care home and made his way to Normandy Photo: GRACEWELL HEATHCARE

By Ben Farmer, Defence Correspondent

3:10PM BST 06 Jun 2014

An 89-year-old Second World War veteran told he could not attend today’s D-Day events in France went AWOL from his care home and was found 12 hours later in Normandy with comrades police have confirmed.

The unnamed veteran decided to disregard his carers’ orders, put on his medals under his raincoat and set off to join events on the beaches of Northern France for the 70th anniversary of the landings.

After the alarm was raised at the care home in Hove, Sussex, police searched the area and checked hospitals and bus and taxi companies.

But the extent of the veteran’s resolve became clear on Thursday evening when police were informed by another veteran that the missing man had joined a coach party and made his way to Ouistreham.

Ch Supt Nev Kemp, police commander for Brighton and Hove, said the man was “reported missing to us by a care home who said he can't go to Normandy for D-day remembrance. We've found him there!”

A spokesman for Sussex police said: “We were called at 7.15pm yesterday (Thursday 5 June) by staff at a nursing home in Hove who said an 89-year-old who lived there had gone out at 10.30am that morning and had not been seen since.

“The nursing home received a phone call from a younger veteran from Brighton at 10.30pm who said he had met the pensioner on a coach on the way to France and that they were safe and well in a hotel in Ouistreham.

“We have spoken to the veteran who called the home today and are satisfied that the pensioner is fine and that his friends are going to ensure he gets back to Hove safely over the next couple of days after the D-Day celebrations finish.”

Pensioner who hid medals and absconded from care home found at D-Day celebrations in France - Telegraph

Good on ya, Bernard! Stupid care home.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Love this story! Aww.

Yeah fuck that care home! They should have organised a carer to take him, it's a big anniversary and he might not make it to the 80th. Shouldn't Vet Affairs do something to ensure the remaining veterans are honoured at these celebrations? The numbers are dwindling every year.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Aw. I'm tearing up and grinning simultaneously.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

So proud of him. Still a brave hero 70 years later.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Killed three nurses before escaping over the wall.*

*may not be factual.
    Novice, Heidi Ho, sluce and 1 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Hit By Ban Bus!

Haha my inner rebel loves this story..I'd do the same...I think it's wrong that they said he couldn't go.
    ikmccall likes this.

Good for him! obviously still has his senses and enough energy to get himself there. Fuck those carers. He earned the right to be there!
    ikmccall likes this.

Love this story! Sounds like the care facility underestimated this man's capabilities. He's obviously still pretty damn resourceful and clever-minded. With an admirable spirit.
    ikmccall and Heidi Ho like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Give 'em hell, Bernard!
    darksithbunny likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Daily Mail posted this picture of him: Bernard on the ferry

I really love this story - so glad he got there like he wanted to.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Ha that photo is so adorable.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Go Grandpa! I'm so very, very glad he was able to slip away from the guards and make this very important trip.

And fuck the nursing home! It's a place to provide support for those who need some extra help in their later years, not a bloody prison. They should show a little more respect and understanding in these kind of circumstances.
    ConstanceSpry and KrisNine like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by BelledeJour View Post
    Daily Mail posted this picture of him: Bernard on the ferry

I really love this story - so glad he got there like he wanted to.
    I hope that the bag is full of duty free that he manages to smuggle back into Stalagluft-Hove.
    Appalling of the care home, to "deny" and also, he left at or after 10.30AM But they didn't realise he was missing until 19.00???? Really????
    Kittylady likes this.
    Free Charmed.

And that's the kind of people we had fighting for us. Thanks, Bernard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information