Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Driver posts selfies, updates Facebook seconds before fatal crash

Default Driver posts selfies, updates Facebook seconds before fatal crash

Woman posts about ‘Happy’ song on Facebook seconds before fatal Business 85 crash

Posted on: 10:19 pm, April 25, 2014, by Lindsey Eaton, updated on: 03:32pm, April 26,2014.

HIGH POINT, N.C. — Investigators believe a driver was posting to Facebook seconds before she crashed and died.

The wreck happened Thursday morning on Business 85 in High Point. Investigators say 32-year-old Courtney Ann Sanford crossed the median and crashed head-on into
    a truck.

Later on Thursday, investigators say some of Sanford’s friends and family told them about a Facebook post that Sanford made around the same time as the crash. Investigators discovered the Facebook post was made seconds before the deadly crash.

A screenshot of Sanford’s Facebook post (with her photo removed).

“The Facebook text happened at 8:33 a.m. We got the call on the wreck at 8:34 a.m.,” explains Lt. Chris Weisner, with the High Point Police Department.
    Investigators say Sanford’s Facebook post read: “The happy song makes me HAPPY.”

“In a matter of seconds, a life was over just so she could notify some friends that she was happy,” says Weisner.
    As investigators were tracing back Sanford’s online activity, they discovered she was also posting selfies as she drove down the road.

Sanford was letting her friends know how happy she was at that moment, and sadly that moment was one of her last.
    “As sad as it is, it is a grim reminder for everyone… you just have to pay attention while you are in the car,” reminds Weisner.
    The driver of the truck was not injured.

Photo GalleryEXPAND1 of 5

People are so stupid.

sputnik likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I'm glad nobody else was injured. People are dumb fucks.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Maybe it's all a darwinesque bottleneck. Only those with enough common sense not to update their fb status while operating a 3,000-lb vehicle going 70mph can live. Seems fair.
    faithanne and Just Kill Me like this.

At least me know she died happy. What a waste.
    BITTER and msdeb like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Why do people find it so fucking important to post stupid shit on FB, especially while driving? Sorry she's dead, but she could have killed an innocent person.

A*O

Another reason I Hate Facebook.
    gas_chick likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The last thing I'm thinking about is Facebook almost all of the time. I don't get it either. Wonder if she had any kids.
    MsChiff likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

A*O

If she did it's too late to give her a Darwin Award. The damage has been done.
    Dame Edna Everage

My ghost would not appreciate my family and "friends" who decided to notify investigators about my status update so that my stupidity could be made famous.
    Just Kill Me, dexter7 and Shinola like this.

A*O

Using a cellphone (calling, texting, games, FB, whatever) is illegal here but that doesn't stop everyone doing it. The cops have more or less given up even trying to enforce the law because they'd quickly be overwhelmed with paperwork. A good number of road deaths are caused by people texting. It's VERY important to let people know what colour nail polish you're wearing today OK? Don't forget the selfie!

I'm sure the car manufacturers can put some kind of phone disabling device in cars linked to the ignition. If the ignition is on, the phone won't work. Surely they can do this?
    whitetigeress and Serendipity like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

^^^^ I'd agree, but it would probably not be great in the event of a crash. Like if the driver is unconscious and a passenger can't reach the keys to turn off the car. Also, unless it was somehow specific to deactivate or lock only the driver's phone, I think a lot of people would flip out if they couldn't use their cell phones on public buses or in taxis. But something like that for offenders seems reasonable enough, like they have breathalyzers installed in people's cars after a DUI. If you get pulled over for cell phone use, you get the same kind of device installed. The only problem is that it can often be hard for a police officer to spot someone using a cell phone unless they're driving dangerously. So until a person actually does something unsafe, they won't get stopped and sometimes it'll still be too late like it was here.

This is a sad story. I hate people who use their cell phones while driving, but they aren't monsters. Arrogant and stupid, but undeserving of what happened here. I'm glad she's off the road, but it's sad she's off the planet.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

oh snap
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    Why do people find it so fucking important to post stupid shit on FB, especially while driving? Sorry she's dead, but she could have killed an innocent person.
    I see people text and drive, texting while walking all the time. They don't get it. If I have to text someone while I'm walking, I will stop and get out of people's way first. Nothing worse than being bumped by some clueless dope on their iPhone when they should be paying attention to where they are going, on the sidewalk or the street.

This is sad, but the dead person did something completely stupid.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Mobile App Makes Texting While Driving Virtually Impossible

Not sure what that app would do for Internet usage.

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information