Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Danish zoo that culled giraffe kills family of lions

Default Danish zoo that culled giraffe kills family of lions

Danish zoo that culled giraffe kills family of lions A large male lion sits with a young lion cub at Oregon Zoo in the US The zoo said it tried to find new homes for the two 10-month-old cubs but failed

A zoo in Denmark that provoked outrage after putting down a healthy giraffe has killed a family of four lions to make way for a new young male lion. Copenhagen Zoo says it "had to euthanise" two cubs and their parents after it failed to re-home them. The 16-year-old male and 14-year-old female were nearing the end of their natural lives in captivity, it added.

Last month, the zoo killed a healthy giraffe because it was deemed surplus to requirements. "Because of the pride of lions' natural structure and behaviour, the zoo has had to euthanise the two old lions and two young lions who were not old enough to fend for themselves," the zoo said in a statement. According to zookeepers, the new young male lion "would have been killed by the new male lion as soon as he got the chance."

The zoo said it had asked other parks to take the 10-month-old cubs, but had received no offers. The new male lion is due to arrive in the next few days and will be introduced to the zoo's two female lions who, born in 2012, have reached breeding age.

Marius the giraffe, who was put down by Copenhagen Zoo

Marius the giraffe was put down in February after efforts to re-home the animal failed Last month, the manager of the zoo received death threats after a healthy two-year-old giraffe called Marius was put down and later dissected in front of visitors. The zoo said the animal did not fit in with the park's breeding programme but the move shocked animal lovers across the world. Despite the outcry over the death, the zoo said it did not believe it was necessary to change its procedures. A spokesman for the zoo said there would be no public dissection of the lions since "not all our animals are dissected in front of an audience".

BBC News - Danish zoo that culled giraffe kills family of lions
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

How the hell is this place able to have animals?
    McJag and louiswinthorpe111 like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Do they kill employees too when their payroll gets too high or if they get a bad review ?
    I really don't see the logic in this zoo practices with population control on their animals ,why would you bring the other male lion in if there was already a whole lion family

A*O

The problem with captive breeding is keeping the gene pool clean as so many of the animals are related to each other.

I bet this happens regularly in many zoos with breeding programs and resulting surplus animals. We just don't get to hear about it. If these cubs would have been attacked by a new male, were too young to be taken from their mothers and no other zoo wanted them what's the answer?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Here is a news story that makes me long for my former state of ignorance.
    gas_chick likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The problem with captive breeding is keeping the gene pool clean as so many of the animals are related to each other.

I bet this happens regularly in many zoos with breeding programs and resulting surplus animals. We just don't get to hear about it. If these cubs would have been attacked by a new male, were too young to be taken from their mothers and no other zoo wanted them what's the answer?
    You refuse the new male. THIS is how zoos regulate populations? really?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I think an animal is safer in a tank at Red Lobster than at this place.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    You refuse the new male. THIS is how zoos regulate populations? really?
    Yes. If they want new litters of genetically sound Simbas a new cubdaddy needs to bring some fresh DNA. Otherwisd they will just breed with each other and the banjos will start twanging.

I'm a supporter of captive breeding for rare or endangered species but lions (and giraffes) don't fall into that category so I don't think these species should be in a Scandinavian zoo in the first place. If the Vikings want to see African wildlife go and watch David Attenborough.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm a supporter of captive breeding for rare or endangered species but lions (and giraffes) don't fall into that category so I don't think these species should be in a Scandinavian zoo in the first place...
    This is what comes to mind for me. Why did they breed the two cubs in question in the first place? Replacing four lions with one makes no sense for increasing numbers, and if the gene pool was so limited before that they need new lions, why were these two cubs allowed to come about?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

They were out of lion condoms?
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Yes. If they want new litters of genetically sound Simbas a new cubdaddy needs to bring some fresh DNA. Otherwisd they will just breed with each other and the banjos will start twanging.

I'm a supporter of captive breeding for rare or endangered species but lions (and giraffes) don't fall into that category so I don't think these species should be in a Scandinavian zoo in the first place. If the Vikings want to see African wildlife go and watch David Attenborough.
    This might be a dumb question, but if you're just going to kill them, why breed them in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    They were out of lion condoms?
    the lioness/female lion is/was a whore?
    gas_chick likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

They are in need of some abstinence only sex ed ASAP. it has worked wonders here in Mississippi........

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    the lioness/female lion is/was a whore?
    And should probably not be allowed alcohol.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    They are in need of some abstinence only sex ed ASAP. it has worked wonders here in Mississippi........
    Wow, has it ever!

"Mississippi reported 55 births per 1,000 teens aged 15 to 19 in 2010, more than 60 percent above the U.S. average, according to state data " Teen Pregnancy: Mississippi Has Highest Teen Birth Rate In The U.S.

You're number one!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information