Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Kimberly & Craig Fugate, Parents of Surprise Quads: 'Taking It One Day at a Time'

fgg

Default Kimberly & Craig Fugate, Parents of Surprise Quads: 'Taking It One Day at a Time'

Kimberly & Craig Fugate, Parents of Surprise Quads: 'Taking It One Day at a Time'

What a difference a fourth makes.

Kimberly and Craig Fugate of Jayess, Miss., knew to expect three new little babies, but on Feb. 8 a surprise fourth daughter showed up.

"It's all been rather overwhelming when you think about how many changes will have to be made," Fugate tells PEOPLE. "But I am just trying to take everything one day at a time. I know it will all work out."

The Fugates older daughter Katelyn, 10, is also excited about the family growing from three to seven.

"She is very excited and ready for them to come home so she can hold them," Fugate says.

Because Kimberly had to be hospitalized at 24 weeks pregnant, it didn't leave a lot of time to get things ready for triplets, much less quadruplets.

"We don't really have anything," she says. "I had to take a medical leave from work in November."

The new mom, 42, is just looking forward to holding her new brood. The family has set up a Facebook page, The Fugate Quadruplets for updates and information on the babies.

"I am recovering well," she says. "Still moving slow, but at least I'm moving. [The babies] have their ups and downs, but for the most part, they are doing well to be as premature as they were."

For now, the couple will be scrambling for car seats, a car that will fit their whole family (their current car is a 5-seater) and hopefully finding a bigger place than their current 2-bedroom mobile home.

With four new identical daughters at home, the family is considering strategies for telling them apart.

"Someone suggested painting a toenail a different color," Fugate says. "[I'm] not really sure."

"Carseats are my first concern right now," she says. "I will have to have four carseats to even get them home from the hospital. Then we will worry about strollers, walker, playpens, that type of thing later."

Kimberly & Craig Fugate, Parents of Surprise Quads: 'Taking It One Day at a Time' - Real People Stories : People.com

call me cynical but i'm guessing fertility drugs.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I don't think you can get identical twins with fertility drugs.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

fgg

^that was my (unclear) point...that i doubt they are identical.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

They're identical and no fertility drugs. Crazy.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

yeah, fertility drugs are more likely but i know a couple who had totally natural, and accidental, triplet daughters. they weren't even sure they wanted a baby, much less multiples and then she got pregnant accidentally and they were finally used to the idea of fine, let's have one kid and then they get to the doctor's and found out there were 3 of them.
    Last edited by sputnik; February 18th, 2014 at 04:53 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I knew 2 sets of triplets growing up, both natural, one set boys and one set girls. This was the pre-drugs era. It happens sometimes, like the Dionne quints. And yes, you cannot get identicals like these from fertility drugs.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I had neighbors growing up that had two sets of identical twins. The first were actually triplets, but one was stillborn. While it's a rarity, it happens. Another neighbor a block down had two sets of twins, but none were identical. I don't know if it was true or not, nor does it matter, but I know the neighborhood gossips suspected the mother of the fraternal twins used IVF. The identicals were regarded as just being a random occurence.

Because identical multiples are the result of a single egg dividing into separate embryos, it isn't necessarily impossible to have them through IVF. Any pregnant woman can have identical twins, triplets, quads, etc. So while multiple identicals are possible with IVF, they just aren't evidence of it because only one egg is needed. The fact of multiples is usually seen as a sign of fertility drugs, but in this case it just means you can't know either way. What seems more likely with IVF is a single pregnancy resulting in multiple sets of identicals (quads or sextuplets, with two or more pairs of identicals).

Either way, I think it's weird how suspect people have become of multiples. They never seemed rare or impossible until they started cropping up everywhere. Which isn't a criticism of anyone in this thread, just an observation in general. It's funny how the more commonly we see multiples, the less able we are to believe they were born "naturally. " Personally, I could care less how they come into existence as long as they aren't exploited or the result of greed and perverse experimentation like Octomom's kids. I'm just fucking glad I don't have them. Especially identicals. I know parents say they can tell them apart, but I doubt my own ability. I'd be calling them all different names every other day until they were old enough to identify themselves... And then twenty years later, Suzy would be finger-printed and discover she was really Anne or Jill.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Since this is in MS, this story has been all over my facebook. I checked out a link with some pics and thought the woman in them was these babies' grandmother at first. This lady's hair is solid white. (Going to see if I can find....)

http://youcantmakethiscrapup.com/201...l-quadruplets/
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'm too lazy to look stuff up right now, but I assume that moms are having kids at older ages, and I have read that twins can be more likely when you are older, so I wonder if triplets and quads are also more likely for older moms. Like I just assumed this mom was not super young based on the notion that these are natural multiples, and then I saw she is 42.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Ugh. I just looked on their Facebook page. All the names start with K and have needlessly complicated spellings: Kristen, Kelsey, Kenleigh, and Kayleigh. My daughter is a Kelcey (it means "beautiful island," which I adore) and I hate when people use it be kitschy.

God speed, little girls. Please do not crop up again in twenty years as some dystopian nightmare of alliteration. The 'K' market is tapped.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Elite Member

How was she hospitalized and presumably monitored and nobody noticed there was a fourth one in there?

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    How was she hospitalized and presumably monitored and nobody noticed there was a fourth one in there?
    Easy. There is not a lot of space & they said this baby was directly behind her twin. they never saw her until after the other 3 were out.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    Ugh. I just looked on their Facebook page. All the names start with K and have needlessly complicated spellings: Kristen, Kelsey, Kenleigh, and Kayleigh. My daughter is a Kelcey (it means "beautiful island," which I adore) and I hate when people use it be kitschy.

God speed, little girls. Please do not crop up again in twenty years as some dystopian nightmare of alliteration. The 'K' market is tapped.
    The only complicated spelling Kenleigh is it not? I mean the actual spelling is Kaleidh but Kayleigh is as common as Kristen or Kelsey.

The mum's face is actually quite young looking, if she coloured her hair she probably wouldn't look like their gran so much. It's a nice story actually, I hope all the babas are home and well soon.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Seriously, your daughter's name is Kelcey and you're mocking them for using Kelsey?
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information