Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Michael Morones, 11, attempts suicide after being bullied over My Little Pony

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Michael Morones, 11, attempts suicide after being bullied over My Little Pony

February 5, 2014 (RALEIGH, N.C.) -- An 11-year-old boy is in the hospital after trying to commit suicide -- the victim of bullying at school.

Michael Morones remains in WakeMed hospital with a tube down his throat and potentially life-long brain damage. Michael tried to kill himself, apparently because he could no longer take the torrent of bullying he was facing at school.

"He's the kid that never walks. He dances everywhere," said Michael's mother, Tiffany Morones-Suttle. "He's so full of energy. He's always on the move."

Michael's parents say he was that way even in the face of daunting bullying at school. Michael likes the cartoon "My Little Pony." It turns out, the cartoon has a growing, and perhaps unlikely fan club -- men and boys known as "Bronies." Because of that, Michael was teased so much that ten days ago he decided to do something about it.

"He hung himself off the side of the bunk bed, off the railing," said Morones-Suttle.

His parents got him to the hospital, but the damage had already been done. Oxygen to his brain had been cut off.

"We won't know for months how much is going to heal," said Morones-Suttle. "It could even be years before we find out what potential for healing he has."

You might think Michael's parents would be furious with the kids who were bullying their son, but that wouldn't be in keeping with the show at the center of what they were teasing him about.

"It teaches the most basic moral values to a lot of complex thoughts," said Michael's stepfather, Shannon Suttle.

Fans of the show, like Michael, try to live the motto that friendship is magic.

"I've heard a lot of people say you need to go after bullies and hold them responsible," said Morones-Suttle. "But you know, I don't think that's what Mike would want. I would rather teach people how to do right than turn around than punish, because punishment doesn't always work."

Michael has gotten support from as far away as Ireland, and a lot of money, which is used for Michael's care, but also to start a nonprofit to help with bullying. As Michael's father tells it, it's more than their goal. It's quickly become their mission.

Incredibly, the bullying hasn't stopped. Michael's parents say just Sunday night on a generally supportive website, a few people left hurtful comments. They say that just strengthens their resolve to fight bullying, and makes that mission that much more clear.

Bullying prevention expert Nancy Mullin said Michael's age is right in the prime age for suicides.

"Eleven to 15-year-old boys are very much at risk for thinking about suicide when they're perceived as being gay," said Mullin.

She credits Michael's parents with supporting his interest rather than reinforcing shameful feelings.

"The missing piece here is what the school is doing about this," said Mullin.

Mullin says while North Carolina is one of 49 states with bullying prevention laws, not enough is being done to implement programs.

Michael was scheduled to have a tracheotomy Tuesday.

Michael Morones, 11, attempts suicide after being bullied over My Little Pony Bronies fandom | abc7chicago.com

Pictures from Pajiba-
    An 11 Year Old Geek Kid Attempts Suicide Because People Are Terrible

Elite Member

Oh my gosh. People suck. My DD is almost 9 and she loves MLP.

This really gets me. So sick of boys must like this and girls must like that or something is wrong with you. This poor little guy.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

It freaks me out when I hear of kids trying to hang themselves. I've heard of younger ones than this boy and wonder how on earth they even know about that.
    Poor kid.

Damn - I never even heard of suicide when I was that age.
    sluce likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Damn - I never even heard of suicide when I was that age.
    Neither did I. This is heartbreaking and yet nothing happens to really change things so that bullying becomes less common. I have had to worry about the issue of suicide with my son since grade 6, when he was 10. The first time he mentioned that the thought had crossed his mind, I thought I would shrivel up and die. My heart broke into a million pieces that day and has never fully healed. He has been ostracized, excluded, ignored and bullied since early grade school and it continues today. There have been 3 reportable incidents at school since this fall and it is awful. The first incident was in the halls and was caught on tape. It was the day after there was an assembly at school about the dangers of bullying. The second and third incidents occurred in the bathroom and neither could be addressed because, of course, there can be no cameras in the bathroom due to the privacy issues. And my son didn't know any of the boys responsible. There is also now a potentially abusive situation going on with a boy at my son's school but I cannot seem to get enough facts to know exactly what's going on. My son hasn't any friends at school as the Asperger's and Tourette's that he suffers from makes it so hard for him to understand social etiquette. He is so lonely that if someone says a few words to him he becomes hopeful that this is a potential friend. In this particular instance, the boy I am concerned about, has hit my son twice in the groin for what appears to be no reason. I can't get to the bottom of what happened just prior to the assaults except that my son says they were just "fooling around." And he refuses to stay away from this boy completely because he says "I am so lonely and he is the only one who is friendly with me at all." I am really worried but cannot figure out what the hell is happening. All I know is that my son had a friend for many years until recently (when the boy, who is popular, developed a large group of friends and slowly disappeared from my son's life) and they spent a lot of time here. It was a normal friendship. My son is not interested in either girls or boys so that is not an issue here for him.

The bottom line, is that I worry every day when my son goes to school. And when I see storied like this on the news, it makes it really hard not to scream. There are many days when I just hate people.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Neither did I. This is heartbreaking and yet nothing happens to really change things so that bullying becomes less common. I have had to worry about the issue of suicide with my son since grade 6, when he was 10. The first time he mentioned that the thought had crossed his mind, I thought I would shrivel up and die. My heart broke into a million pieces that day and has never fully healed. He has been ostracized, excluded, ignored and bullied since early grade school and it continues today. There have been 3 reportable incidents at school since this fall and it is awful. The first incident was in the halls and was caught on tape. It was the day after there was an assembly at school about the dangers of bullying. The second and third incidents occurred in the bathroom and neither could be addressed because, of course, there can be no cameras in the bathroom due to the privacy issues. And my son didn't know any of the boys responsible. There is also now a potentially abusive situation going on with a boy at my son's school but I cannot seem to get enough facts to know exactly what's going on. My son hasn't any friends at school as the Asperger's and Tourette's that he suffers from makes it so hard for him to understand social etiquette. He is so lonely that if someone says a few words to him he becomes hopeful that this is a potential friend. In this particular instance, the boy I am concerned about, has hit my son twice in the groin for what appears to be no reason. I can't get to the bottom of what happened just prior to the assaults except that my son says they were just "fooling around." And he refuses to stay away from this boy completely because he says "I am so lonely and he is the only one who is friendly with me at all." I am really worried but cannot figure out what the hell is happening. All I know is that my son had a friend for many years until recently (when the boy, who is popular, developed a large group of friends and slowly disappeared from my son's life) and they spent a lot of time here. It was a normal friendship. My son is not interested in either girls or boys so that is not an issue here for him.

The bottom line, is that I worry every day when my son goes to school. And when I see storied like this on the news, it makes it really hard not to scream. There are many days when I just hate people.
    I don't know what to say except this breaks my heart. I'm so sorry that your son has to go through this and I'm sorry that you have ti go through it with him.
    sparkles and Alysheba like this.

Sparkles, I am so sorry for your child. I hope that he finds some happiness.
    sparkles likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thank you both so much. Your kind thoughts mean a lot to me. I wish someone had realized what was going on before this poor little boy in the story before it came to this. Adults often don't realize the extent of the emotional damage caused by bullying until it is too late. Even now. People really need to talk to their children about their thoughts as well as their feelings. It can be very surprising and devastating when one realizes the thoughts flying around their heads.

I feel so sad for this little boy.

Sparkles, I am so sorry to hear about your boy having a hard time at school, as WCG said, I too hope he finds happiness.

It is heartbreaking when people are mean to our loved ones and we can't be there to protect them.
    MmeVertigina and sparkles like this.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

This whole page is heart-breaking.
    sparkles likes this.

Sparkles, I feel terrible for you and your son. Kidscan be horrible to each other. I know this kind of shit has been going on forever. My heart breaks for all kids who are victims of other kids. I wish that kid who used to be your son's friend could find his way back into your son's life.

I don't know what else to say except I'd love to hug your son (and you). Parenting is hard!!!!
    sparkles likes this.

Sparkles - here's a {{{HUG}}} from me to you and your son. I'm so sorry you guys have to go through that.

sparkles likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Sparkles, I wish I knew what to say and I don't, other than I also hope your son finds happiness and joy in life. Hugs to him and you.
    sparkles and southernbelle like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm torn between what I want to do more: hug your child or go track down those kids. I am so sick of these mean little fuckers and the adults who excuse their behavior by saying they're just kids and it's part of growing up. My kids know the one way they can get in serious trouble with me is by treating someone else unkindly. I also reinforce to them that they will get i just as much trouble if I hear about them not standing up for someone else when given the opportunity to do so.
    Standing aside and being a moral coward is just as bad, if not worse, in my opinion.

Hugs to your son. He has been on my mind since you mentioned him in the thread about the kids standing up for their football manager. Wish he could find some friends like that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information