Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mother and Daughter Die Of Food Poisoning/Allergy in Bali

A*O

Default Mother and Daughter Die Of Food Poisoning/Allergy in Bali

[QUOTE]JANUARY 06, 2014

Less than 24 hours after arriving in Bali, Sunshine Coast residents Noelene Bischoff (52) and her daughter Yvana (14) were dead, with police investigating whether food poisoning was involved.

Their devastated family on Sunday described the deaths of the inseparable pair as ''freakish and unexplainable'', confused by suggestions they had suffered a fatal allergic reaction to a meal.

Keryn Bischoff, Noelene's sister-in-law, said neither had ever declared food allergies or carried an EpiPen and Noelene loved seafood.

A ''blurry'' timeline of events from the time they arrived on the island on Friday was also adding to their confusion.

''I hope there's no foul play involved," Ms Bischoff said.

The mother and daughter, from Wurtulla, checked into Padang Bai Beach Resort by 3pm on Friday, visiting the neighbouring district of Ubud before returning to the coastal resort to have dinner.

Just after midnight, Yvana alerted security staff to their violent illness. They were taken by private ambulance to a nearby hospital but Noelene died en route at 1.45am, according to local sources.

Yvana was then rushed to BIMC Hospital, an international clinic in the Balinese capital of Denpasar. Despite still being conscious and able to speak to doctors on arrival, she could not be saved.

A police source said: "Checking the scene, we found lots of medicine. All the medicines are from abroad. The vomit and medicines have been taken to forensic laboratory."

Noelene's younger brother, Malcolm Bischoff, believes his niece Yvana told hospital staff she had eaten mahi mahi fish for dinner at the resort. The hospital investigators suspect the fish carried toxins.

On Sunday afternoon a resort manager told the family by phone that he had eaten the same meal as Noelene and her daughter and that he had not felt ill.

The chief of criminal investigations in Karangasem, Adnan Pangibu, is now handling the case.

Police have recovered a receipt from Noelene's purse that appeared to be from a restaurant in Sukawati. Mr Pangibu said the restaurant was not suspected of any wrongdoing. No other customers were sick. Police did not disclose the restaurant's name or the list of dishes on the receipt.

Keryn Bischoff said Noelene was a managing nurse at Caloundra Hospital.
    [\QUOTE]

Pardon the pun but this is fishy. Both otherwise healthy people died 2 hours after becoming sick. Neither had any known allergies and other people ate the same fish dish with no illness so food poisoning sounds doubtful. The "foreign medicines" found in their room were the usual OTC holiday remedies (mother was a senior nurse). The Balinese authorities seem pretty clueless so situation normal. I think there's much more to this story. Oh, and Padang Bai is a DUMP and the "resort" they were staying at is nothing of the sort.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yes this is very suspicious. It'll be interesting to see what else comes out about this.

Saw it in the paper and these newer details make it more confusing. A lethal, sudden food allergy (that presents with vomiting, not suffocation) in two non-allergic people seems impossible. I fear someone slipped them the Indonesian version of a date-rape drug, and it poisoned them like those cheap alcoholic drinks.

A*O

The family plans to repatriate the bodies for full autopsies - if the Indos will let them. I can smell the panicked coverup from here. The "allergy" story is pure bulltish and the "food poisoning" isn't much more convincing. You just don't die that suddenly and quickly, especially two people, after a dodgy curry or whatever. But some kind of poisoning looks likely or maybe a bad drug reaction.
    Dame Edna Everage

I watched a documentary on foreign hotels where, in order to combat bedbugs and other pests, they spray huge amounts of chemicals in the air conditioning units. They figured a couple of people from Canada died this way.

I hope they can figure it out. I have heard nothing of this over here,so if you find out more please post it!
    southernbelle likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think I mentioned this in another thread a long time ago, but I dated someone in college who had missed our original date because she had been eating at a seafood restaurant and then the next thing she remembered she was waking up in the hospital. She had developed an allergy to iodine in seafood - almost overnight.

A*O

Yes, but BOTH people at the same time? The only thing I can think of is a freak occurrence of some toxin like botulism which can be that fatal, that quickly but it's odd that nobody else who ate the same food were affected. I wish I had more faith in the local police and medical investigators. If there was any foul play they won't be happy to admit it. Bali relies almost 100% on tourist dollars and Aussie tourists spook very easily.
    Dame Edna Everage

Yup, I meant to add that both people at the same time doesn't seem probable for a food allergy.

This story reminds me of something that happened to an old coworker of my husband's a year or two ago. She and an American friend were travelling through Vietnam and ended up dying within two days of each other from a mysterious illness. First the American girl got violently sick and they took her to the hospital. She had no signs of injury, but her blood pressure dropped to zero and she was in serious respiratory failure. The Canadian girl started to feel sick at the hospital, but they treated her and let her go. Even though her friend was dead and she was showing nearly identical symptoms. Two days later, she was back again. She went into cardiac arrest a bunch of times before she died too.

Food poisoning was an early theory there too. Then alcohol poisoning. Both turned out to be wrong. They still don't know what happened.

I think the last place I would ever want to die is on vacation. Not only because it would totally ruin it, but just more and more you hear of people dying in these exotic places and then they never figure out why.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Lol, damn you death, totally ruining my vacation!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

A*O

The paranoids are now saying it was a random bio weapon attack by Indo jihadists (they exist) to see how it works before targetting a bigger pool of victims. Probably ridiculous but not completely implausible. We need those autopsies and tox reports ASAP.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hey, a flight to Bali ain't cheap! I can die at home for free.
    Serendipity likes this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Man, this is really scary. My husband and I just traveled to the Middle East for 4 weeks to meet his side of the family and see the sights.

Warning: Gross Story

On week 3, I became so violently ill with that I thought was food poisoning -- I was on the toilet or vomiting every 3 minutes (I started timing it) for 8-10 hours a day. This lasted for three days.

I was terrified, hubby wanted to take me to the hospital but I knew I'd probably have an accident on the car seat. I almost had him buy me adult diapers just to get me to the hospital.

His family was sending me tons and tons of herbs -- they'd settle me for a couple hours, but they'd come back up eventually.

On day 3, we had to check out of our hotel and drive an hour to our next hotel. We ended up paying for a fourth night at the first hotel instead and once I'd gone 30 minutes without being sick, we took off (around 4pm).

Once we got to the new hotel, I was feeling better. We had a late dinner and I slept through the night without getting sick. I never got sick again.

I never considered my sickness could be connected to something the first hotel was pumping through the ac system. Woah.

A*O

More sketchy info coming out - reports that the woman's airway was badly swollen and the ambos couldn't intubate her which suggests anaphylaxis/allergy after all.

The family want the autopsies done in Oz and the bodies are being repatriated ASAP. Indo police say this will hinder the investigation and want the autopsies done there. I still smell a rat.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information