[QUOTE]JANUARY 06, 2014
Less than 24 hours after arriving in Bali, Sunshine Coast residents Noelene Bischoff (52) and her daughter Yvana (14) were dead, with police investigating whether food poisoning was involved.
Their devastated family on Sunday described the deaths of the inseparable pair as ''freakish and unexplainable'', confused by suggestions they had suffered a fatal allergic reaction to a meal.
Keryn Bischoff, Noelene's sister-in-law, said neither had ever declared food allergies or carried an EpiPen and Noelene loved seafood.
A ''blurry'' timeline of events from the time they arrived on the island on Friday was also adding to their confusion.
''I hope there's no foul play involved," Ms Bischoff said.
The mother and daughter, from Wurtulla, checked into Padang Bai Beach Resort by 3pm on Friday, visiting the neighbouring district of Ubud before returning to the coastal resort to have dinner.
Just after midnight, Yvana alerted security staff to their violent illness. They were taken by private ambulance to a nearby hospital but Noelene died en route at 1.45am, according to local sources.
Yvana was then rushed to BIMC Hospital, an international clinic in the Balinese capital of Denpasar. Despite still being conscious and able to speak to doctors on arrival, she could not be saved.
A police source said: "Checking the scene, we found lots of medicine. All the medicines are from abroad. The vomit and medicines have been taken to forensic laboratory."
Noelene's younger brother, Malcolm Bischoff, believes his niece Yvana told hospital staff she had eaten mahi mahi fish for dinner at the resort. The hospital investigators suspect the fish carried toxins.
On Sunday afternoon a resort manager told the family by phone that he had eaten the same meal as Noelene and her daughter and that he had not felt ill.
The chief of criminal investigations in Karangasem, Adnan Pangibu, is now handling the case.
Police have recovered a receipt from Noelene's purse that appeared to be from a restaurant in Sukawati. Mr Pangibu said the restaurant was not suspected of any wrongdoing. No other customers were sick. Police did not disclose the restaurant's name or the list of dishes on the receipt.
Keryn Bischoff said Noelene was a managing nurse at Caloundra Hospital.
Pardon the pun but this is fishy. Both otherwise healthy people died 2 hours after becoming sick. Neither had any known allergies and other people ate the same fish dish with no illness so food poisoning sounds doubtful. The "foreign medicines" found in their room were the usual OTC holiday remedies (mother was a senior nurse). The Balinese authorities seem pretty clueless so situation normal. I think there's much more to this story. Oh, and Padang Bai is a DUMP and the "resort" they were staying at is nothing of the sort.