Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Elects First Openly Homosexual Legislator

Thumbs up Alabama Elects First Openly Homosexual Legislator

By Bob Johnson
    The Associated Press

Patricia Todd led community activist Gaynell Hendricks by a scant 59 votes in the House District 54 runoff race in Birmingham Tuesday as Todd attempted to become the first openly gay or lesbian legislator in Alabama.

With 100 percent of boxes reporting Tuesday, the unofficial count showed Todd had 1,173 votes, or 51 percent, to Hendricks 1,114 or 49 percent. Hendricks had held a large lead earlier in the evening and appeared to be heading to victory, but Todd moved narrowly into the lead as late votes were counted.

The final outcome of the race may not be certain until election officials count provisional ballots today.

The Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund sent out a news release late Tuesday claiming victory for Todd, but Hendricks was not conceding the race. Her husband, Elias Hendricks, said the final vote totals conflicted with other vote totals and that they are not ready to give up the race.

There is no Republican candidate in the race, which means Todd, if her lead holds up, will likely be elected to the House seat, replacing veteran Rep. George Perdue, D-Birmingham, who is retiring.

Todd led the five-candidate field in the June 6 primary, an impressive showing that was seen as a victory for gays and lesbians, said Dennis Dison, vice president for communications of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund. He said it raised more than $25,000 for her campaign.

Dison said it's believed that if elected, Todd would be Alabama's first openly gay or lesbian legislator.

Todd, 50, associate director of AIDS Alabama, said being gay was not a part of her campaign, nor was the fact that she is white and was seeking election in a majority black district.

"I concentrated on talking about the district," said Todd, referring to the racially and economically diverse District 54, which stretches from the eastern suburban community of Irondale through some of downtown Birmingham to western neighborhoods and includes some of the city's richest and poorest areas.

"Other people have focused on the gay issue or my being white, but that has not been a part of my platform. The issue to me is poverty in Alabama," Todd said.

Hendricks said the fact that Todd is gay did not play into her campaign strategy.

"It was never an issue for me," said Hendricks, 55, a longtime community activist and owner of Wee Care Academy in Birmingham.

"The issues to me are finding ways to reduce crime, improve health care, education, public transportation, economic development. Those are the issues that are the most important to me and the constituents in District 54."

Howard Bayless, board chair for Equality Alabama, a gay and lesbian advocacy group, said Todd's campaign was not about her being gay.

"She's an incredible candidate and she has had an incredible message and it's been an incredible journey for all of us," Bayless said. "This is totally about who's the best candidate."

Todd led the June 6 primary, but did not receive the more than 50 percent vote total needed to avoid the runoff with Hendricks. Two of the other three candidates in the primary -- Kamau Afrika and Charlie L. Williams -- endorsed Todd, raising expectations for her in the runoff.

Asked if she worried about facing ridicule and public scrutiny if she ran for public office, Todd said she didn't hesitate to make the decision to run.

"I had to think about the consequences of coming out and running and the possibility of smear tactics and maybe even vandalism or violence," Todd said. "But I just felt like we had not had leadership and needed new blood so I decided to run."
    http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...607190345/1009

Default Re: Alabama Elects First Openly Homosexual Legislator

Good for her for having the figurative 'balls' to be out and open and running for elective office. Hope she won.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I bet it would have gone down differently if it had been a gay MAN.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Wink Re: Alabama Elects First Openly Homosexual Legislator

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    I bet it would have gone down differently if it had been a gay MAN.
    omg watevs Grimm; i was just thinking when i read the title that it was prob a man and it'd been different if it was a lesbian; b/c men are 4 some reason so damn threatened by them so i was pleased to read that it was a women
    YaY for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are Woman; hear us ROAR!

Oh crap, she's gonna turn all those poor Alabama kids gay.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Alright Bama! Way to go!

I agree with Grim. Men (and homophobes in general) are way more threatened by gay men while lesbians are just too precious. Unless they're ugly. Either way, men freak way more at over gay men cause they can't keep it from entering their mind that dude might be sucking a cock or taking it in the ass when he goes home.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

2 chicks kissing = hot

2 guys kissing = evil.

Stupid breeders!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

ITA with Grimm. For whatever reason most people think lesbians are hot, while gay men are gross...ask any man--would you like to see 2 women having sex? Hell yeah!! Ask the same man about 2 men having sex. Hell no, that is sick man.....
    Regardless, I am glad to see this happen in a southern state.
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    Oh crap, she's gonna turn all those poor Alabama kids gay.
    That's it! It's a conspiracy. They're electing gays so that the kids will all become gay which will bring the abortion rate to zero!!!!!!!

Ah-Ha! Who said people from Alabama were....oops.....(politically incorrect statement deleted).....

It's obviously a Sinister Master Plan hatched by the heathens who hate Family Values. This woman is going to change all the school library books to portray families with 2 mommies & 2 daddies. All the little boys will be forced to take field trips to get mandatory pedicures, and the little girls will be marched endlessly through Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    It's obviously a Sinister Master Plan hatched by the heathens who hate Family Values. This woman is going to change all the school library books to portray families with 2 mommies & 2 daddies. All the little boys will be forced to take field trips to get mandatory pedicures, and the little girls will be marched endlessly through Home Depot.
    Gasp.....we've been found out......this could ruin our plans for Mississippi.....

Signal MAUVE alert! we are at MAUVE alert!

Deploy the feather boas and ketamine!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Listen; its hard enough "proving" yourself as a female politician, but to be gay and not in any need of a man is a tough pill for men to swallow; they freak out about it.

Thats why they always create/perceive all these stereotypes about lesbians being "butch"/jocks(the man in the relationship) or "lipstick" and thats what ppl do when they fear something; they rationalize it in the best way they can so that they're comfortable again w/ a situation out of their control/realm of understanding, but either way I'm really happy for her, especially being in the South and all. 3 cheers to the power lesbians!

and don't bogart the Special K Grimm!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Signal MAUVE alert! we are at MAUVE alert!
    Mauve is a hideous color. Is that standard, or could it be changed to something like....tangerine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information