Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Father drops toddler from hi-rise building in NYC, jumps to his death custody battle

Default Father drops toddler from hi-rise building in NYC, jumps to his death custody battle

Father drops toddler from high-rise, jumps to his death

Dmitriy Kanarikov (center) with his wife Svetlana (left) and son, Kirill.
    A distraught dad tossed his toddler off the roof of a 52-story apartment building on the Upper West Side on Sunday, then jumped himself — killing them both, law enforcement sources said.
    The building at 124 West 60th Street where the father and child fell to their deaths.

Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn was supposed to hand over his 3-year old son to his estranged wife at a Manhattan precinct amid a bitter custody dispute between the couple, sources said.

Instead, the systems developer went to the top of the South Park Tower, across from St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital on West 60th Street, with his son, Kirill, and pitched the boy to his death before making his own fatal leap.

A source said Kanarikov, an immigrant from the Ukraine, may have had a friend who lived in the building.

The dad’s body was found on a fourth-floor landing of a John Jay College building next door to the apartment high-rise, while the boy’s was recovered from a sixth-floor landing of the same structure.

Authorities believe that the dad tossed the boy and then jumped because of the distance between their bodies and the fact that the father’s was found closer to the building, indicating he had more direct drop, sources said.

3-year-old KirillPhoto: Facebook

Police said Kanarikov was pronounced dead at the scene. The child was taken to St. Luke’s and pronounced dead there.

“They were pumping his chest and working on him, and nothing,” said Luis Ortiz, who was at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital, a block away from the scene, when paramedics rushed him in.

“You could tell he was slipping away. They said the father was up there, but they didn’t bring anyone else in. It was just heartbreaking. I have two kids of my own. They tried to do the best they could.”

Kanarikov’s Facebook page is filled with smiling photos of him with his wife and child.

“I want to be the best dad and husband,” he said in a September post. “Nothing is more important to me right now.”

Father drops toddler from high-rise, jumps to his death | New York Post

Oh, God. That's horrible. I want to wake my kids and squeeze them.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

A*O

What is it with fathers who do this? It's not uncommon.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^ Here i found a super depressing article about it ,I can't think of anything worse
    “Family Annihilators”: Understanding What Drives Fathers to Kill | TIME.com

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Mothers do it too. But fathers definitely do it more often. In the article choozen posted, the resarchers had found 59 cases of male family annihilators in the UK from the 80s to 2012. In that same period there were 12 cases where women had committed such a crime.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's not just fathers, although they are the majority, but moms do it, too. And it's not just in the US, but all across the globe. I wonder if it's always existed and we just didn't hear about it through the media as much or if it's increased.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Ugh. Asshole. The poor boy and mother.

So infuriating and heartbreaking.

ETA: A few years ago, I worked in the law courts. I was returning back to the building after my lunch break. Just as I got inside, I heard people screaming and yelling. A man (who I must have just walked past) had doused himself in lighter fluid and set himself on fire. It was also the result of a bitter custody battle.

And then there was a guy in my town who held his daughter hostage in his home and was threatening to blow up the house. Police managed to get the daughter out but he blew himself and the house up anyway. I believe he had the entire house rigged with gas bottles.

I wonder if it is becoming more common or if we are just hearing more about it.
    Last edited by Sleuth; December 23rd, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Bronze Member

There was a case here last year where the Dad drowned his daughter then killed himself. Tragic and the stuff of nightmares for the mother. This was over a custody dispute IIRC. Another case where the Dad smothered both daughters then drove his car into a wll killing himself is slightly different as there was no separation with the Mum but he was severely depressed.
    Twitchy Truth - "Never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity."

If I were in a custody dispute, I would like to think that I would put the kids first and not be in some kind of hate match with my former spouse. It seems like there is a subset of people out there who go apocalyptic when they have a major downturn in their lives - like getting fired. Or losing a promotion. Or losing custody. I don't know if there is a good way to recognize the personality type, but I would hope that the risk could be limited somewhat by just being humane with the other person, recognizing that they need to have their dignity preserved during the process.

It's just so horrible. I mean, I can't imagine my life without my kid .. but I'd rather imagine my life without full custody of my Snowflake as opposed to imagining a world without my Snowflake .... especially if I had to imagine that because of something I'd done.
    Flygirl and sparkles like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Damned be all,either fathers or mothers for acting as if they OWN their kids to do with them whatever.Misuse of power in the lowest form.I cannot excuse or forgive them.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Gold Member

My heart hurts for this poor boy and his mother.

I think a woman tried this recently but she died and the child lived.

Seriously?!!! Do they really need to post pictures too?! It's all just so damn dreadful, depressing, sad and heartbreaking and then on top of it had to post pics too to emblazon our brains with it all. I'm sick of itm, constantly reading the news only to find one thing or another of this degree. It seems so disrespectful and there is so much of it!
    *sigh.... rip lil boy

Heartbreaking is all I can come up with. Poor baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information