Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Whitley County teen refuses to run race because of '666' number

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Whitley County teen refuses to run race because of '666' number

WILLIAMSBURG, Ky. (WYMT)- While standing for religious principles, a Whitley County teen refused to run a race because of the number she was given to wear. Codie Thacker says seeing what some connect with the "mark of the beast" made her sick.

Thacker says running is her passion and she was ready to go for gold at her regional cross country meet held last Saturday. She told us, “I've been training since June for this race, and it’s kind of like the climax of my season to run regional’s and to see how well I do.”

But three numbers got in the way of that dream.

“I just don't believe that 666 should be a number that's anywhere on your body and I did not want that number associated with me. It kind of made me sick,” said Thacker.

The number ‘666’ was printed on her bib number for the meet, a tag given to each runner to identify them during the races.

Whitley County High School Track Coach Gina Croley thought the solution would be simple. Croley said, “I'm very sure that the number was computer generated. I don't think it was any type of you know let's give somebody this number, but when it was brought to their attention, I feel like if it were possible, it could have been changed.”

Except KHSAA officials wouldn’t change Thacker’s number. So she turned to her faith, deciding her love for the Lord was great than any race.

“Whenever I didn't get to do it, of course, I was upset, because I'd trained all season for it. But in another sense I stood up for my beliefs and I stood up for God,” said Thacker.

A representative for KHSAA claims meet officials were not told Thacker objected to the number for religious reasons. Joe Angolia with the Kentucky High School Athletic Association said, “We've made adjustments to uniform codes and things like that in the past when it's known that religious reasons are in play. Maybe had that been made more clear to meet officials, they would have made that decision.”

Both women say they did site Thacker's religion as the reason. Coach Croley said, “I wouldn't have been more proud of her if she won the entire meet. She stood on her principles; she stood for what she believed in.”

We asked Thacker would you do it over again? She replied, “Yes i would, I would definitely stand my ground on this.” She says she has received lots of community support.

KHSAA officials WYMT spoke with says those numbers are in fact randomly assigned and that schools are given the numbers early just in case they want to switch. Croley says she just see's no reason why they wouldn't change it on the day of the race.

Whitley County teen refuses to run race because of '666' number

Elite Member

Really? Someone needed to specifically point out that she didn't want to run under the number 666 because of religious reasons?

I am not religious at all and think it's silly, but come on.

Couldn't she have just swapped jersey numbers with some Iron Maiden fan who was running in the same race?

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

I'm actually shocked they would make this a bib number. They won't even label the 13th floor in most buildings.

Silly that she had to miss the race. They just should have switched the bib out. Lame.

when i was in High School there was stiff competition to get locker # 666.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

This is so stupid. Lawd.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Yep,...this was bullshit. They could have swapped out the bib for a different number. Or hell.....use a marker and add another number or two to it,...do something. Such a simple error to correct, and it is crap that she missed the state race over it.

Fuck her, stupid silly superstitious twit. I wonder who she will sue now.
    ErmaGerd likes this.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I thought it was mistranslated anyway and the real number of the beast is 616? That's what Stephen Fry said on QI and if he's wrong I may as well end it all now.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

The other day at the store, my total came to $6.66 and the cashier was horrified.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

When I worked for the music lawyer we acted for a metal band and the total of one bill came to $666 and the band ended up putting the bill on their album sleeve. There's definitely a connection between lawyers and Satan but this time it was pure coincidence - really.
    mjw and SugarVenom like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Yep,...this was bullshit. They could have swapped out the bib for a different number. Or hell.....use a marker and add another number or two to it,...do something. Such a simple error to correct, and it is crap that she missed the state race over it.
    I felt that way until I got to the part about the school getting the bibs early so they could make changes if needed. Her school mess up, not the race organizers. I'm sure timing was all set and tied to the numbers at that point. I'm sure the coaches from the school will be more observant going forward.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Couldn't she have just flipped it over been 999? I'm sure God appreciates a little ninny standing up for the cause?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    When I worked for the music lawyer we acted for a metal band and the total of one bill came to $666 and the band ended up putting the bill on their album sleeve. There's definitely a connection between lawyers and Satan but this time it was pure coincidence - really.
    That reminds me of Steve Wozniak pricing the first Apple computer at $666. I don't remember the reasoning but I've always found that amusing.

Your iphone is the mark of the beast!

666 is my lucky number. Sissy.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information