Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By gas_chick
  • 8 Post By sluce
  • 4 Post By Honeythorn
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 2 Post By Honeythorn

Thread: Family sues New Jersey for right to put their child in gay conversion therapy

Default Family sues New Jersey for right to put their child in gay conversion therapy

Family sues New Jersey for right to put their child in gay conversion therapy

A New Jersey couple is fighting to put their child in a discredited therapy to "cure" him of his sexual identity

A New Jersey couple is suing their state over a law banning so-called gay conversion therapy, which they say is a violation of their free speech rights, freedom of religion and ability to parent their child “free from unconstitutional government interference,” which in this case means putting a 15-year-old high school student through a medically discredited pseudotherapy intended to “cure” him of his sexual and gender identity.

According to the complaint, the couple’s teenage son began “experiencing gender identity disorder when he was around nine years old,” at which point he started to see a social worker who “helped him tremendously” with his gender identity and “unwanted same-sex attraction.”

At the recommendation of this social worker, the family then contacted Ronald Newman, a member of the anti-gay Christian counseling group National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality, but the state ban on the discredited practice prevented them from going forward with the counseling.

“John Doe has a sincerely held religious belief and conviction that homosexuality is wrong and immoral, and he wanted to address that value conflict because his unwanted same-sex attractions and gender confusion are contrary to the fundamental religious values that he holds,” according to the complaint.

The suit contends that the teenager has also struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts in the past, a sad and frightening fact since he doesn’t seem like he has the support necessary to seek the genuine help — including legitimate and medically credible therapy — that he needs anytime soon.

Beyond Ex-Gay, a community of survivors of “sexual orientation change efforts” who abandoned the practice and the anti-gay, anti-trans worldview that comes with it, surveyed its members to find the top ten reasons they entered ex-gay therapy in the first place, all of which, sadly, seem to be echoed in this case:

• To be a better Christian.
    • I believed it was what God wanted me to do.
    • I feared I would be condemned by God.
    • The desire to fit in with everyone, to feel “normal.”
    • Cultural pressure to conform to heterosexuality.
    • Desire to please family and friends.
    • I feared I would go to hell for being gay.
    • Fear of losing family and friends.
    • Misinformation of what it meant to be gay.
    • Self-hatred & internalized homophobia.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

That poor kid.
    ribbit likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Sad. How is this Christian? So many childless couples would have been so happy and accepting to raise this child. Cruel.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I would like to see the state step in and consider removing the child from the home.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I hate to say it, but this poor kid will probably commit suicide before age 25.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Greys-I thought the exact same thing. I'm not sure how anyone could come out of this okay.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Count me in thinking he won't make it. I cannot imagine what it's like to be inside your own head being taught that what you are is evil. Just want to give that young man a hug and let him figure out who he is with out 24/7 hate.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I'm not surprised that living with these patents that he's already tried & has depression. Poor kid!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I would like to see the state step in and consider removing the child from the home.

Bring him to my crib. He'd be loved so much and he can be as out and proud as he wants to be. My church has classes for it's gay youth and helps them be happy with themselves and how to deal with assholes that tell them they are going to hell for being gay, and lets them learn/know that Jesus loves EVERYONE. i hope this young man can be placed in a loving accepting home. His parents are a pair of shitheads!!
    Alysheba, Novice, Seth82 and 1 others like this.

Honeythorn, I live your church, that is how church should be in my mind!
    Honeythorn likes this.
    Free Charmed.

I love my church. it's a Calvary church out here in my lil piece of the desert. Our pastor even walks with a group of us and some of the kids in the pride parades in L.A. or San Diego. He is a gay supporter and it really grinds his gears when people say that Jesus/God said that being gay is a sin. He will challange anyone to show him where in the Bible that either one actually said those words. Jesus nor God never said those words..Paul did and if you tell our Pastor otherwise, you can talk to the hand.
    Seth82 and stef like this.

Thread Information