Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Michigan woman’s Boston Marathon bombing costume sparks outrage, threats

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Michigan woman’s Boston Marathon bombing costume sparks outrage, threats

A woman who dressed as a bloody Boston Marathon bombing victim unleashed the wrath of Internet vigilantes.

Alicia Ann Lynch, 22, posted a pic of herself wearing the gory Halloween costume on her Twitter account.

The backlash was predictably swift.

kimberlyxo @kimberlyroslund
    @SomeSKANKinMI you are an absolutely disgusting human being.
    5:15 PM - 31 Oct 2013

Sydney Corcoran, who was injured along with mother Celeste Corcoran, slammed Lynch on Twitter.

“You should be ashamed, my mother lost both her legs and I almost died in the marathon. You need a filter,” she wrote.

Hundreds of other reprimands followed, but the response grew increasingly brutal from others, escalating when Web users discovered Lynch had once posted a pic of her driver’s license with her personal information.

Online commenters used the details to track down her parents’ information and spread it across the Internet.

Lynch quickly suspended her Twitter account, @SomeSKANKinMI, and abandoned other social media sites, but that did little to end the firestorm.

Web users spread nude photos reportedly scraped from Lynch’s online accounts and advocated bullying, raping and killing her.

The Website Buzzfeed reported Lynch reopened her account to beg for mercy.

She claimed she lost her job, and pleaded with the online mercenaries to spare her mother and father.

“Plz stop with the death threats towards my parents. They did nothing wrong. I was the one in the wrong and I am paying for being insensitive,” she wrote on Friday night in a Tweet captured by Buzzfeed.

LisainDallas @LisainDallas
    @mzbilly @mmurphycit @SomeSKANKinMI Wow. If she has kids, would she put them in bloodied Sandy Hook shirts?
    5:14 PM - 31 Oct 2013

She added, “Please stop spreading around my parents number, and my home address. THEY DID NOTHING WRONG.”

The account was suspended again on Sunday, but then relaunched with the Tweets shielded from public view.

The former owner of an out-of-business Michigan landscaping company told Brighton Patch the online vigilantes had misidentified him as Lynch’s father and targeted the company’s old Facebook page for their vitriol.

“I have all sons,” Mike Lynch told the Michigan news Website. “This is someone completely unrelated to us just trying to stir something up, I have no idea.”
    dmmurphy@nydailynews.com

Read more: Michigan woman’s Boston Marathon bombing costume sparks outrage, threatsÂ* - NY Daily News

Read more: Michigan woman’s Boston Marathon bombing costume sparks outrage, threatsÂ* - NY Daily News

Proud of my state right now, yessir.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Stupid woman. There is no hope for her-she will be the same dullard at age 42.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

She gives assholes a bad name.

However, death and rape threats? People scare me.
    gas_chick likes this.

Dum-dum

It was an insensitive and stupid comment but it's just a fucking costume. that's no reason to threaten someone or fire them.
    Honey likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I just want to know wtf these idiots think would happen? Did they wake up one day and think "Gee, people won't think this is insensitive"? Their poor families. I thought mine was fucked up.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

mjw
    Elite Member

another idiot-

Hit By Ban Bus!

What the hell is wrong with people? It's like when Bill Maher dressed up as Steve Irwin, don't they have any idea how much the world has changed and that everyone will see the pictures? Especially the family of those who were hurt. What a stupid bitch.

The caption made me laugh a little. She's still a bitch.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
    What the hell is wrong with people? It's like when Bill Maher dressed up as Steve Irwin, don't they have any idea how much the world has changed and that everyone will see the pictures? Especially the family of those who were hurt. What a stupid bitch.
    not really comparable. one is dead because of stupidity, the others due to terrorism.
    ribbit likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

tasteless, but i do think its bullshit that she wore it to work with no problems, but once it lit up the internet, they fired her.

ETA: buzzfeed has a breakdown of the reaction to her costume:http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrel...arathon-victim

couldn't get it to post properly
    southernbelle likes this.

I'm laughing over her Twitter name- "SomeSkankinMI". She got that right, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    It was an insensitive and stupid comment but it's just a fucking costume. that's no reason to threaten someone or fire them.
    I agree, but once you make yourself radioactive in such a public way, your termination is probably a fait accompli. Last name is very ironic, too.

She's a dumbass for sure but the threats are OTT.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information