KTLA

Official: Shooter was a ticketed passenger

By L.A. Times Staff
    Live updates from LAX

What we know now:

• LAPD: Gunman acted alone, got past security
    • 6 taken to hospital
    • Federal official says they don't believe shooter worked for TSA

A gunman armed with a high-powered rifle opened fire at Los Angeles International Airport Friday morning, killing a TSA agent and wounding several others, authorities said.

Authorities said the gunman fired at several locations in Terminal 3 before police shot him. LAX police did not reveal his condition.
    The motive was unclear. A federal law enforcement official said that the gunman was a ticketed passenger entering the airport.

MORE: Eyewitness accounts of LAX shooting

Officials don’t believe the gunman has ever worked for TSA. Law enforcement sources had earlier told The Times that the gunman was a TSA employee.

Los Angeles Police Department anti-terrorism officials were on the scene, but sources said they believe the suspect acted alone and was not tied to any known terrorist group.

At a news conference, the Los Angeles Fire Department said it treated seven people at the scene and transported six to local hospitals.

Patrick Gannon, the LAX police chief, said the gunman entered Terminal 3 at 9:20 a.m. He pulled an assault rifle out of his bag and began firing. He moved into the screening area and continued shooting, Gannon said. He got past the checkpoint area and moved further into the terminal.
    Authorities tracked him down and shot him near a Burger King.

Vernon Cardenas, 45, of West Hollywood said he was at the airport on his way to Philadelphia when the shooting occurred about 9:30 a.m.. “Sitting down, all of a sudden, literally just out of the blue, you hear a rumble in the background and a couple of seconds later, people are running at me,” said Cardenas, who does casting for the Fox television show "MasterChef." He described the scene as “mayhem,” with couples crying and parents who couldn’t find their children.

Brian Adamick, 43, said he was boarding a Spirit Airlines flight to Chicago at Gate 32 in Terminal 3 when a commotion erupted.
    He said people were running through the terminal, away from a security area. Adamick said he went through an emergency exit downstairs onto the tarmac with several other passengers.

“While I was on the tarmac, I heard two gunshots from the same area where the people had been running and screaming,” he said.
    A few minutes after he got outside, he said buses showed up to help evacuate passengers. He said he saw a wounded TSA agent board one of the buses. The man’s ankle was bloody: “it looked like it was straight out of the movies,” Adamick said.

The man told him, “I got shot, I’m fine.” He told passengers not to worry about him and that he had been shot before, Adamick said.

A White House official said President Obama had been informed of the incident: "The President has been briefed about the shooting at LAX. We will continue to stay in touch with our federal and local partners. The LAPD is leading the response and investigation. We urge citizens to listen to the authorities and follow directions from the first responders on site. The president will continue to receive briefings throughout the day.”

Tory Belleci of the television show "Mythbusters" tweeted: "Heard gun shots then everyone starting running for the door. Not sure if anyone was hurt. #LAX."
    TV news footage showed dozens of officers swarming the airport. Images also showed a law enforcement officer being treated by paramedics. He appeared to be alert. Another officer had a bloody hand.

***I had the misfortune of getting stuck in the gridlock around the airport trying to pick up something that Mr. B left on his flight a couple days ago.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; November 1st, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

A federal law enforcement official said that the gunman was a ticketed passenger entering the airport.
    When something like this happens, do the shooter's next of kin get his complimentary peanuts?
    Brookie and joebob like this.

I'm a terrible person and already going to hell so I'll admit when I heard he was shooting at TSA I thought, "well we've all thought about doing that..."

I'm watching CNN live and they're saying the gunman is alive and the one person who died was an actual TSA agent. They also said the gunman may have ties to NJ...
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Well shit, lookit me being like a real journalist and reporting the wrong thing...lemme fix the title.

*just looked it up, usual reporters jumping the gun on that, they've since corrected it to say gunman is "in critical condition."

Beeyotch, glad you were still outside during this incident!

Oh I was far enough away, no danger. It happened at 9:30 and I was stuck in traffic @ 10:00 still a ways from the airport.

Crazy part is we were in total gridlock so people were getting out of their cars and cabs and walking to the airport with their luggage in tow, still trying to make their flights. We were maybe 3/4 of a mile away. It was like REM's Everbody Hurts video. Sucks for them because all flights were grounded.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Wow. ^^ I haven't been through LAX in years, but I remember that it was huge and confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    When something like this happens, do the shooter's next of kin get his complimentary peanuts?
    He hadn't yet boarded. I think all they get are the air miles.
    MohandasKGanja and yanna like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Jesus - the shooter is from NJ in a section that is covered by Philly news. That's all we are getting right now. They have surrounded his father's home with a search warrant. They are saying he had texted his brother saying he would not be alive much longer and I think they said the family notified the police.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I heard that the Mythbusters were hustled out of the terminal.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yeah someone from the show was quoted (or their tweet was):

Tory Belleci of the television show "Mythbusters" tweeted: "Heard gun shots then everyone starting running for the door. Not sure if anyone was hurt. #LAX."

If Jamie from 'Mythbusters' had his rifle on him, the bad guy wouldn't just be in critical condition. (sorry, but Jamie and his beret give this woman the down low tickle )

So airport security takes away your nail clippers, makes you drink your own pre-expressed breast milk, and feels you up roughly... but let a gun through? Billions well spent on national security /sarcasm
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

I'm thinking he was in the security line, must have opened fire before he was actually at the checkpoint, where I don't think they would have missed a high powered rifle. I really hate the TSA but I'll give them that much.

It sounds like he had a beef with the TSA. NBC News reported that he was walking around the terminal asking people if they worked for the TSA.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information