Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Paralyzed Man Finds Angry Note After Parking in Handicapped Spot

Default Paralyzed Man Finds Angry Note After Parking in Handicapped Spot

Paralyzed Man Finds Angry Note After Parking in Handicapped Spot

Matt Milstead, 36, parked his BMW in a handicapped spot before a playing a game of wheelchair rugby at the YMCA in Grand Rapids, Michigan. When he returned to his car after the game, he found a letter under the door’s handle.

“I would love to see your wheelchair!” the letter read. “I'm guessing male 25-35 years professional who thinks he's got the world by the ass. But I could be wrong."

When asked how he responded to the note, Milstead, who works for the Social Security Administration, told WOOD TV he was puzzled that a stranger would just assume that the car's driver had "tried to steal a close and convenient spot.”

But his wife, Leslie, wasn’t puzzled. She was pissed. And so she wrote a letter to the anonymous person on her Facebook page, making clear that her husband would gladly “trade his BMW and handicapped parking pass" for working legs and hands:

"You were so close on the age, he's actually 36, and he is a professional with a full time job.

He is also a quadriplegic, which for him means that he can no longer move his legs or his fingers in either hand. He has no grip.

So, if you are willing to give him your functioning hands and legs for the rest of your life in exchange for his 6-year-old BMW and handicapped parking pass, I'm sure he'd make that trade.

Why are you so confident that a handicapped person couldn't be a hard worker who is successful and owns a nice vehicle?"

The Milsteads now believe going public with their story will help relay the problems with anonymous vigilante justice in parking lots:

"It's kind of ironic the guy was trying to right a wrong. He assumed some jerk had parked in a handicapped spot that shouldn't be, and so he was really trying. He probably felt like a good person and thought he was doing a good thing, but the problem is he was wrong."

Because, as Leslie pointed out, "It's not going to stop those people that are abusing it. And the damage is done when it gets to someone that really deserves to be there.”
    Kittylady likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It's pretty sad, but I see so many people that look like they have no need for a handicapped parking placard. Of course, I don't stop them and ask them what their condition is, but sometimes it's pretty obvious that there really isn't a reason to have a pass. They always do some undercover piece on the news and stop people who are running out of the mall and look totally fine. They're using their elderly mom's pass or they somehow got a pass through a doctor.

I've said it before but I no longer second guess people who use the handicap spots. If they have the tag it's their option. I changed my opinion after knowing someone with a serious heart condition who could not walk long distance so they were given a tag while waiting for their transplant. They had rude things said to them many times as they walked from the spot to the door of the store. Just because they look healthy, doesn't mean there isn't something else going on. In the case of this story, the person who wrote the note is a total asshole!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

My asshole neighbor--my landlord's son--uses his elderly mom's placard all the time. Most of the time she's not even with him in the car bc they're totally dysfunctional and at each other's throats all the time. When they have a particularly bad fight, he'll take off with the car for days with the placard.

I so want to turn him in, but I've never looked into it and I'm hesitant to start even more shit with someone who lives downstairs, has guns, seems high frequently and is a crazy mofo to begin with.

That is sad.

Elite Member

YOu can get one for heart conditions, most people with heart conditions don't "look" handicapped.

A*O

There's a woman on our street who pinged her knee at a drunken pool party. She claimed all the compo she could think of and tried and failed to sue the neighbour in whose pool it happened (they still don't speak) and of course got her disabled parking permit. She is now fully recovered - she wasn't "disabled" in the first place, she had a gammy knee for a few weeks - but she still somehow gets her permit. She must have her doctor by the balls.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I've said it before but I no longer second guess people who use the handicap spots. If they have the tag it's their option. I changed my opinion after knowing someone with a serious heart condition who could not walk long distance so they were given a tag while waiting for their transplant. They had rude things said to them many times as they walked from the spot to the door of the store. Just because they look healthy, doesn't mean there isn't something else going on. In the case of this story, the person who wrote the note is a total asshole!
    Psycho ex's dad (who was a really, really lovely man himself) had a disabled parking badge and to look at him you wouldn't have thought he needed it, but he'd had a couple of heart attacks and 'died' in the ambulance after his last one before they brought him back. This left him unable to walk distances without becoming breathless and having tightness in his chest. That taught me never to judge.

Mind you some ignorant people seem to think that you shouldn't get a badge if you can walk at all! On a good day my stepdad can totter short distances with the aid of a walker or sticks but someone tried to tell him he shouldn't be parking in a disabled bay because he wasn't in a wheelchair! When Ma Kitty pointed their attention to the wheelchair that was folded and packed into the back of the car (just in case the sticks weren't enough) the guy walked off muttering about people who abuse the system. Rest easy Daily Mail - your minions are alive and well!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Guess the guy didn't realize there might be some disabled yuppies out there. (because only yuppies drive BMWs of course...)

Honestly, I don't pay any attention to who is parking in the handicapped spots or why. I'm sure there are people who abuse the system, but really, how pathetic. Lazy assholes should be grateful they are able to walk those dozen extra steps. I know I am.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I never assume anymore. It's not worth it to be wrong and I've known too many people who need the space who would not outwardly appear to need it.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

A*O

It was unfair and hasty to leave that note but the recipient could have avoided all the aggro if he'd displayed his disabled parking permit.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^ what makes you think he didn't?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Found this from a different article:
    "Milstead said that despite having the appropriate handicapped parking tag displayed in his car’s review mirror, the anonymous letter allegedly accused him of not needing the handicapped parking space."

^ I tell ya, it was because the guy had a BMW. Car profiling!
    sluce likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Well, you know what they say about the difference between a porcupine and a BMW...
    witchcurlgirl and laynes like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information