Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: EBT benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping sprees in Louisiana

Default EBT benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping sprees in Louisiana

CBS News/ October 14, 2013, 4:44 AM
    EBT benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping sprees in Louisiana

The Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) system allows recipients of government food stamps to purchase goods using a digital card with a set spending limit, but for a few hours over the weekend, that limit disappeared for many users visiting Walmart stores in Louisiana.

Walmart and local police in Springhill and Mansfield confirmed to CBS affiliate KSLA that officers were called into the stores to help maintain order Saturday as shoppers swept through the aisles at two stores and bought as much as they could carry.

Xerox, which hosts some of the infrastructure used by the EBT card system, told KSLA that a power outage during a routine maintenance test caused the temporary glitch.

Walmart workers phoned their corporate headquarters to ask how they should handle all the shoppers with unlimited, government-funded spending limits, and were told to keep the registers ringing.

"We did make the decision to continue to accept EBT cards during the outage so that they could get food for their families," Walmart representative Kayla Whaling told KSLA. She added that Walmart was, "fully engaged and monitoring the situation and transactions during the outage."

Amateur video taken on shoppers' cell phones shows dozens of shopping carts, piled high with merchandise, abandoned in the aisles of one Walmart after the announcement was made that EBT cards were once again showing accurate spending limits.
    Police spokesmen in both locations told KSLA that no arrests were made during the spending sprees.

Shoppers gave mixed reactions to the incident, with one man in the Springhill store told KSLA it was simply "human reaction" to stock-up when given the opportunity. Shopper Stan Garcia was more critical of the unscrupulous shoppers, however, saying that taking advantage of the brief glitch in the benefits system amounted to "plain theft. That's stealing, that's all I got to say about it."

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

EBT benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping sprees in Louisiana - CBS News
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Since it's Walmart and they deserve every "glitch" they get, I love it.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

and DCFS says they ain't paying for the overages... Wal-Mart is expected to foot the bill for the thievery.
    Brookie, shedevilang and levitt like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Then I am only sorry Walmart employees didn't get in on this spree.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Walmart should have stuck to the $50 limit in place for these situations.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Walmart should have stuck to the $50 limit in place for these situations.
    I think greed blinded them. After all,the gov might have paid...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

oh god, the video of those abandoned carts is pretty insane. they really grabbed anything and everything (8-10 full carts for a single person). poor stock boys/girls.

i wonder if there will be some sort of penalty for the people who took advantage? i remember there being issues on cheques/direct deposits with decimals getting mixed up and people spending it all, but then they had to pay it back..

Bronze Member

Nobody else pays for my groceries and I would never dream of stealing. What is wrong with these people? Somebody else is already paying for their groceries and when they know there is an opportunity they try to steal more?!
    I don't care how profitable a store is, there is no excuse, this behavior is DISGUSTING and SHAMEFUL.
    ribbit likes this.

Why would Walmart allow this? I hope they go after the people who took advantage of this glitch. This kind of mentality of take what you can get reminds me of looting.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by cnynrnr View Post
    Nobody else pays for my groceries and I would never dream of stealing. What is wrong with these people? Somebody else is already paying for their groceries and when they know there is an opportunity they try to steal more?!
    I don't care how profitable a store is, there is no excuse, this behavior is DISGUSTING and SHAMEFUL.

Yeah, how shameful that incredibly poor people want a little more. How dare they even keep breathing anyway.
    choozen1ne, dilligaf and Mivvi21 like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by cnynrnr View Post
    Nobody else pays for my groceries and I would never dream of stealing.
    be thankful you've never been hungry. or had kids that were hungry.
    levitt likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I would steal to feed my kid... I wouldn't steal 8 to 10 fucking carts of groceries. We're talking about excess and fucking greed here, not necessity.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

What, you mean like on Wall Street?
    choozen1ne and sluce like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

well, yes - those are thieving motherfuckers too!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Yeah I think it was greedy too with a dash of, "haha fuck them!" Wall street greed is far more damaging but it's all greed just the same.

I wonder if Walmart will try to go after any of the individuals or just fight with the government for the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information