Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Boy, 9, sneaks onto plane and flies to Las Vegas

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Boy, 9, sneaks onto plane and flies to Las Vegas

Boy, 9, who snuck on flight to Las Vegas 'to see a gaming friend he met online' recently stole a car, had a history of truancy and his mother worked at the airport

• Boy took Delta flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas on Thursday morning
    • He passed three levels of checks before flight crew got suspicious mid-air
    • Nine-year-old said he was visiting an online gaming friend in Las Vegas
    • Boy's parents did not know he was missing and had to be told by police
    • The family has been subject of four child protection assessments this year
    • Tuesday last week the boy stole a car and made it onto the highway
    • His mother worked at the airport and her possible involvement investigated

Read more: Was runaway boy, 9, who flew to Las Vegas visiting online friend? | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The nine year-old boy who made it past security and onto a flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas may have been on his way to visit someone he met online.

The child made it to at Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport by himself, slipped through a security checkpoint and then boarded a Delta Air Lines flight before he was discovered by suspicious flight attendants.

When Las Vegas police met the boy upon landing he told them that he had a 'video game buddy' who lived in the city who he was there to visit.

A security video shows the boy at the airport terminal on Wednesday, the day before his trip, officials said.

He took a bag from the carousel that did not belong to him and ordered lunch at a restaurant outside of the security checkpoints, MAC spokesman Patrick Hogan said.

He ate and then told the server he had to use the bathroom, left the bag and never returned to pay.

The owner of the bag was identified and the bag was returned to him, Mr Hogan said. At this point, this is a Delta and [Transport Security Administration] issue,' he added. 'This is a rare incident.'

In a statement to Minneapolis TV station KARE-11, Delta officials said: 'We are investigating the incident and cooperating with the agencies involved.'

KARE-11 reported that authorities believe the nine-year-old boy is a runaway from the Twin Cities.

'He had to pass three levels of security,' said Terry Trippler, an air travel expert with ThePlaneRules.com, to the TV station.

'He had to pass three levels of security. You have the TSA, the gate agents, and the flight crew and a child comes through without even a seat assignment'
    Terry Trippler, air travel expert

'You have the TSA, the gate agents, and the flight crew and a child comes through without even a seat assignment.'

Mr Tippler said that security introduced after 9/11 obviously still has major flaws. 'While we are safer in the air, this proves there are still gaping holes,' he added.

According to a surveillance video, at 10.37am, the unaccompanied boy arrived at the airport on a southbound light-rail car.

The boy was then screened at Terminal 1 and granted access to its nine airlines despite appearing to have never produced a required ticket.

The boy is currently in protective custody in Las Vegas after local police filed a missing persons report.

Upon contacting Minneapolis services, they discovered that the boy's parents were not aware that he was missing and had to be told by police.

The boy's parents told Minneapolis Police they 'hadn’t seen much of him today' when officers arrived at the missing child's residence on Thursday after he was reported having run away, according to CBS Minneapolis.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police spokesman Bill Cassell told ABC News the boy was 'more worldly than most nine-year-old kids.'

'He was able to get onto an airline where he didn't have a ticket and made it five states across the U.S.,' Mr Cassell said. 'If it hadn't been for alert airline employees on our end, he probably never would have been discovered.'

According to local media, the boy's mother works at the airport and her possible involvement in her son's joyride is being investigated.

The Star Tribune reports that the child is known to social services and has been the subject of four child protection assessments this year alone.

Only last week the boy stole a utility vehicle from downtown Minneapolis and made it onto the motorway before he was pulled over.

He also has a history of playing truant and sneaking into a local water park without paying entry.

The boy remains in protective custody in Las Vegas and authorities are working with his parents.

Read more: Was runaway boy, 9, who flew to Las Vegas visiting online friend? | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

His parents "hadn't seen much of him today"? At 9 years old? This kid's got quite a history.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Hit By Ban Bus!

Someone needs sent to military school asap.
    greysfang likes this.

Someone's parents need horror week of parental bootcamp. Or a booting with my size 10 steel tips.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Dad of 9-year-old plane stowaway: 'He's got a behavioral problem'

(CNN) -- That 9-year-old Minnesota boy who slipped through security and hopped a flight to Las Vegas is no stranger to child protection investigators, who say he has a history of sneaking into a water park and was recently arrested after allegedly stealing a car, according to an e-mail obtained by the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

And it turns out that his mother works at the airport where he began his journey, a source close to the situation said.

The boy's father told CNN affiliate WCCO that his son has had issues in the past.

"I don't have an angel, OK. I have a 9-year-old," he said. "To me, he's got a behavioral problem."

The father, who WCCO did not identify, said the family has been unsuccessfully trying to get help for his son for years.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that Janine Moore, area director of the Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department, wrote in an e-mail to agency administrators and County Board members of the boy's "pattern of behavior," which has included hanging out at a Bloomington, Minnesota, water park and blending in with a large family to slip through without paying.

She describes him as a "challenging" child, according to the Star Tribune.

The newspaper reported that there is an investigation into whether the boy's mother, who works at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, helped him fly to Las Vegas. The newspaper did not report who was conducting that investigation.

The boy's father told WCCO that his wife reported their son missing on Thursday morning -- a day after they last saw him, leaving the house to take out the trash.

"We're not bad parents. We didn't think nothin' of it," the father said. "We thought he was at his friend's house."

The father said he never expected his son would take the light rail from their North Minneapolis neighborhood to the airport and sneak onto an airplane.

"I don't understand," he said. "You've got so (many) security checks at these airports. How can you let a 9-year-old sneak past security, get on the plane, without anyone stopping him, questioning him or anything?"

Authorities have been trying to figure out how the child was able to slip past security and airline gate agents and board Delta Flight 1651 without detection.

The boy went through security with other passengers, the Transportation Security Administration said in a statement Sunday, but officials were still trying to figure out how he did it -- and how he then got on the flight Thursday.

Patrick Hogan, a spokesman for the airport, said that surveillance video shows the boy briefly talking to a Delta gate agent before the flight.

A short while later, the video shows that the agent became "distracted," and that's when the boy was able to sneak through and board the plane, he said.

Hogan said the crew "became suspicious of the child's circumstances" during the flight. Crew members got in touch with authorities in Las Vegas and turned the boy over to Child Protective Services, Hogan said in a statement.

The boy, who remained in Nevada, will be returned to Minneapolis because that is "where issues will be addressed," a source with knowledge of the situation told CNN. It was unclear when he would return to Minnesota.

The agency did not immediately return a CNN telephone message Tuesday seeking comment on the Star Tribune report.

According to the Star Tribune, Moore said child protective workers have investigated the boy's family life four times.

"The reports have been inconsistent and there have been no injuries to the child; however, there is a pattern of behavior," the newspaper quoted her as saying in the e-mail.

The newspaper said Moore wrote that the boy was arrested two weeks ago after allegedly stealing a car. The e-mail didn't indicate whether the boy was the driver of the car or a passenger, the newspaper reported.

The newspaper also said Moore wrote that the boy has alleged that his mother has held a knife to his throat and that she was "stabbed and died."

"Typically, staff can tell if a child is lying, but with this child, they are unsure what is going on," the newspaper quoted the e-mail as reading.

Delta on Monday said it was reviewing surveillance video. Flight crew members alerted authorities to the boy.
    Dad of 9-year-old plane stowaway: 'He's got a behavioral problem' - CNN.com

Elite Member

Just WOW!

I started reading this thinking it was some light hearted Home Alone-esque shit...my mouth is agape
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

sounds like a case of bad parents + a bad kid = this fuckery... on one hand, this kid is a genius and will do anything to get away from his parents. on the other, he's going to kill someone with this stupid shit - and there's no telling how many people are going to lose their jobs over this little shit. and any parent who doesn't fucking know where their 9 year old is at all times is a fucking BAD PARENT!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Yeah, this kid is definitely too smart for his own good. Obviously his parents don't have a clue how to deal with him. It reminds me of the character Leo DiCaprio played in Catch Me if You Can (which of course was based on a true story) If they don't find some creative outlets for him, he'll be the one flying the planes in a few years.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

The parents are neglectful assholes. The kid is obviously very smart and very fucked up. I hope he gets placed in a good home.
    Just Kill Me and CornFlakegrl like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

"I don't understand," he said. "You've got so (many) security checks at these airports. How can you let a 9-year-old sneak past security, get on the plane, without anyone stopping him, questioning him or anything?"
    I don't understand. You've got so many moral and legal responsibilities for your own child. How can you not know where your 9 year old is at all times?

Kid sounds lonely. He was going to Vegas to hang with a friend.

How can a parent let a 9 year old catch the light rail to the airport, hop a fucking plane, fly to Vegas and NEVER realize the kid's GONE?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Let's ban all airplanes!
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I think the kid sounds like a young sociopath or something.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Father tearfully pleads for help for troubled 9-year-old stowaway

With a hoodie tied tightly over his face and a baseball cap pulled down over his eyes, the father of a 9-year-old Minneapolis-to-Las Vegas stowaway tearfully begged for help with his willful, troubled son.

The father’s camouflaged appearance Wednesday at a south Minneapolis news conference added another bizarre layer to an already surreal saga. He sounded painfully overwhelmed by his young son’s precocious illegal activities, weeping as he pleaded, “Somebody please help me, please.”

The Minneapolis man, who declined to give his or his son’s name, said the boy didn’t heed advice from him or his mother. “He did what he wanted,” he said.

The news conference was held at the office of the anti-violence group MAD DADS, whose spokesman, V.J. Smith, said the father came to him for help.

Last Thursday, the boy slipped past checkpoints at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and managed to board a Delta flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas without a ticket or an adult companion. His implausible trip triggered a major security investigation at the airport and provoked international reactions that ranged from incredulity to bemusement, fear and concern.

The boy, who remains in protective custody in Nevada, is expected back in Minnesota on Friday.

A day before the flight, he rode light rail to the airport, plucked a piece of luggage off a carousel and scoped out the scene from a restaurant before he walked out without the luggage and without paying for the meal.

Before the boy’s father spoke Wednesday, Smith read a statement from his mother, who works at the airport. She did not attend the news conference. “I love my son. I miss my son. I want my son home,” she said, adding that she has asked for help in the past, but “no one has been willing to help.”

Since last week, the family has spoken with Hennepin County Human Services, which has offered to help, Smith said. Exactly what the boy and the family need is unclear. The father, who works for a bus company, repeatedly spoke of his son’s behavioral problems, including getting in a fight at school that led to a suspension.

‘What can I do?’
    The father said he has never been to the airport or on a flight. It was one of many tearful moments when he sounded overwhelmed by his son’s behavior.

The Hennepin County attorney’s office is reviewing the case to determine whether the boy needs to be removed from his home or receive behavioral help. His father said, “I can provide [help] at home. I need the resources.”

The boy’s misdeeds include stealing a delivery truck and crashing into an Edina police car two days before he went to Las Vegas. Because of his age, he can’t be charged with a crime. “When he damaged those cars, I don’t know what was going through my son’s head,” the dad said, adding that his son may have been inspired by the video game Grand Theft Auto, which he played at a friend’s house.

The father said he was at a loss about what to do to make his son behave after that episode. “I didn’t punish him, I didn’t hit him,” he said. Then “he leaves the house on Wednesday [Oct. 2], what can I do?

“He wasn’t listening,” he said. “It was just so much. We were asking for help.”

He said he was at the house when the boy went outside that night, ostensibly to take out the trash, and his mother was at a doctor’s appointment. When she came home and the boy was gone, they assumed he was with friends. The next day, Oct. 3, the mother stayed home from work to try to find him, discovering he wasn’t at friends’ houses.
    Cunning, but still a child

The father said the plane episode has been “a heartache” for the family. “We didn’t know he’d got on a plane until my fiancée called the police … it came back that he was in Las Vegas,” he said.

The boy has been suspended several times at school, most recently since Sept. 21 for fighting, the father said. “He’s not an honor student; he has his ups, he has his downs,” he said, adding he met with the principal and “we put in a plan,” but the son’s misbehavior continued.

In an e-mail obtained Monday by the Star Tribune, the area director of the county’s Human Services and Public Health Department told administrators and County Board members that the boy is known to county staff as a “challenging” child. Since December 2012, the county has four times assessed the boy’s family for protective services.

The boy also has a history of riding light-rail trains to a Bloomingtonwater park, where he “waits until a large family is entering and joins them,” the memo said. Of county interactions with the child, it said, “Typically, staff can tell if a child is lying, but with this child, they are unsure what is going on.”

Now, after the boy’s most dramatic wayward act, his father desperately pleaded for help for the son he hasn’t been able to speak to since last week.

“He’s a 9-year-old child,” he said. “I don’t want to see my son hurt.”
    Father tearfully pleads for help for troubled 9-year-old stowaway | Star Tribune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information