Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Child dies, now parents want to ban window blind cords

Default Child dies, now parents want to ban window blind cords

Wasn't sure if to put this in the new or parenting forum...

29 September 2013 Last updated at 09:42 Share this page

Sophia Parslow's parents bid for window blind cords ban

17-month-old Sophia died after becoming trapped in the cord of a blind

The parents of a Gloucestershire toddler who died after getting her head stuck in window blind cord have started a campaign to have them banned.
    Sophia Parslow, aged 17-months, was playing at home in Tirley near Gloucester on 27 June when she became tangled in the looped blind cord.
    "I only left her to go to the toilet," said her mother, Amanda O'Halloran.
    "She was still in her pyjamas and watching Peppa Pig then she was just gone."
    The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said there have been 14 window blind cord deaths across the UK since the start of 2010. (doesn't that work out at around 5 per year?)

Safety devices are sold with most blinds. Including cleats to tie the cord to the wall.
    But Sophia's parents say that is not enough.
    "We want them banned," said Ms O'Halloran.
    "This seems the only way for this kind of thing to stop.
    "We don't have Sophia any more.
    "We have nothing else to do but to fight for her and to make sure that no other child is taken away from their parents so early."
    The campaign - called Sophia's Cause - includes a Facebook page and an online petition, which has already gathered hundreds of signatures.
    Amanda O'Halloran and Chris Parslow want the issue debated in Parliament in the hope that something positive can come from their family's tragedy.

BBC News - Sophia Parslow's parents bid for window blind cords ban

It is an awful way to lose a child but then I did a quick Google search & found some other stats -

"The annual road casualty figures for Great Britain in 2012, published today by the Department for Transport (DfT), show that overall road deaths fell by 8 per cent to 1,754 in 2012."
    "According to government statistics, each year more than two thirds of accidental fires in Scottish homes - over 3,500 annually - are caused by electricity[i], and Christmas lights can pose a significant risk if they are faulty or not used properly."

"NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde has launched the project after doctors in Yorkhill A&E at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children reported an increase in admissions due to youngsters ingesting liquitabs. Medics treated 18 children in 2010/11 but are now seeing an average of two cases every month."
    "David Walker, RoSPA’s leisure safety manager, said: “RoSPA’s National Water Safety Seminar is held every 18 months, providing a valuable opportunity to meet fellow water safety professionals and hear about the latest developments in the sector. With around 400 water deaths each year, plus many more injuries, it’s important to be able to discuss how we can move forward to tackle this issue together. The new water safety strategy will play an important role in this and we are delighted that it will be introduced at the seminar.”

So should we ban bicycles? Electricity? Cloths washing liquid? Water?
    Free Charmed.

That little girl is cute.
    Blinds to come with warning signs just like plastic bags, hair dryers, and so on. How about looping the cord up, out of a child's reach?
    Very sad for the baby girl, but a major duh factor on the parent.
    shedevilang likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

^ Exactly, there's no need to ban them. Sad story though, cute kid.

they come with warnings all ready plus this shit has been talked about for years it's child safety 101. You tie the cords up or whatever hell I think they even make a damn safety thing you can put on them. I get that it's sad but damn freak accidents happen you can't put all the snowflakes in a bubble
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I know this was in the UK, but that type of blind cord isn't even allowed in the U.S. anymore, is it? IIRC, they've been banned here for a while....
    I'mNotBitter and sluce like this.

^ I know the older blinds used to have the side cords in one end piece, and the newer ones each have their own end piece. Thought that was to decrease the chances of strangulation. I know I had a kitten get tangled up in one years ago, and probably would have hung herself if I hadn't been home at the time.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    the newer ones each have their own end piece. .
    I hate that. The first thing I dd when I got blinds was tie them together to prevent this:
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Yeah, I have all my blind cords out of reach of the cats. Must watch out for them as well.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Our's separate, too. The people that lived her before us tied them together, about midway, which seems to solve the "Peter Griffin" problem

It sucks when something happens to a kid and perfectly good, safe items get banned. We had a Nap Nanny for our daughter. It saved us on so many nights. Baby is soft and snug and safe. We would lay her between us in bed some nights and it helped with reflux and gas. It was perfect. Unfortunately, some parents used it by placing it inside of cribs. Somehow, the baby would wiggle out and get wedged between the Nap Nanny and the bumpers on the side of the crib.

This is what it looked like. It was a made by a small company and when the product was recalled, the company closed shop.

Sad, yes, but those cords have been banned here in the US for awhile I think.

It is a purely voluntary agreement, and they're not banned...
    "ANSI/WCMA A100.1-2012, National Standard for Safety of Corded Window Covering Products, was approved on November 30, 2012. The revisions include: requirements for durability and performance testing of tension/hold down devices, including new requirements for anchoring; specific installation instructions and warnings; new requirements for products that rely on “wide lift bands” to raise and lower window coverings; new requirements for a warning label and pictograms on the outside of stock packaging and merchandising materials for corded products; and new testing requirements for cord accessibility, hazardous loop testing, roll-up style shade performance, and durability testing of all safety devices. CPSC staff believes that these changes should increase durability of certain components, encourage creativity in design, help improve consumer awareness of the strangulation risk associated with cords, and improve awareness of the safer products that should be used in homes with young children. CPSC - Window Blind Cords "

However, this begs a wider question to me.
    There have been 15 deaths from this in 3 years, and while I am absolutely certain that each child's death was a tradgy to the family, there are more deaths in one year from electrical fires, car-crashes, other accidents, etc. are we going to ban those too because of mis-use? Or should the govt go for the knee jerk reaction and ban all of those things too?

for example in a country that has less than 500 murders each year, we are losing as many teenages in London each year (being murdered) as have been killed by these cords in 3 years. Where is the outrage for those lives?
    shedevilang and ConstanceSpry like this.
    Free Charmed.

A*O

I guess this kind of knee jerk reaction from bereaved parents is only natural, especially if the accident was partly caused by their own negligence. The blind cord problem is certainly nothing new so surely they must have known about it.

Blinds must have some kind of cord or they won't work. As asshole tenant decided the nice AKA expensive cedar venetians we provided were way too dangerous for his snowflake so he got a pair of scissors and cut the cords off at the top. It would have cost more to repair them than they cost so we had to scrap them. He was totally unapologetic and said the blinds were a health hazard that made the house "uninhabitable". Wanker.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I guess this kind of knee jerk reaction from bereaved parents is only natural, especially if the accident was partly caused by their own negligence. The blind cord problem is certainly nothing new so surely they must have known about it.

Blinds must have some kind of cord or they won't work. As asshole tenant decided the nice AKA expensive cedar venetians we provided were way too dangerous for his snowflake so he got a pair of scissors and cut the cords off at the top. It would have cost more to repair them than they cost so we had to scrap them. He was totally unapologetic and said the blinds were a health hazard that made the house "uninhabitable". Wanker.
    I hope you charged your tenant for the cost. We rent and have had to do a few things to babyproof the house. We cleared everything with the owner of the property. We'll change everything back (removing safety latches) and fill in all the holes that were left by screwing in baby gates. We have natural shades on our sliders to the back yard and they had really long cords, so we purchased blind cord wraps and installed them. The owner actually really likes them
    MmeVertigina likes this.

A*O

Oh, it's a long story..... This wasnt the only example of his wankery. Luckily he left before we had to evict him for being a PIA. We could have deducted the cost(s) of his home "improvements" from the Bond but he would have put up such a fight we decided it was easier to just let it go - and the fucker knew it. At least he was up to date on the rent. Why are tenants either total sweethearts (the majority to be fair) or complete assholes.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Those cords do worry me, I have always been extra careful to wrap them up away from the reach of children. It's a hard call because what if your kid is at someone else's house who is not aware of what the cords can do? For me, I would always ask if they had the cords tied up, but I am pretty neurotic about it. I am also neurotic about knives and guns being accessible to kids. Those are my personal worries. But, I mean, you could also worry about room or bug spray...nail polish remover...ant poison...not everyone child proofs the same way. It would be nice if they came with a mechanism to wind the cords within the bar of the blind even when they are pulled up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information