Wasn't sure if to put this in the new or parenting forum...
29 September 2013 Last updated at 09:42 Share this page
Sophia Parslow's parents bid for window blind cords ban
17-month-old Sophia died after becoming trapped in the cord of a blind
The parents of a Gloucestershire toddler who died after getting her head stuck in window blind cord have started a campaign to have them banned.
Sophia Parslow, aged 17-months, was playing at home in Tirley near Gloucester on 27 June when she became tangled in the looped blind cord.
"I only left her to go to the toilet," said her mother, Amanda O'Halloran.
"She was still in her pyjamas and watching Peppa Pig then she was just gone."
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said there have been 14 window blind cord deaths across the UK since the start of 2010. (doesn't that work out at around 5 per year?)
Safety devices are sold with most blinds. Including cleats to tie the cord to the wall.
But Sophia's parents say that is not enough.
"We want them banned," said Ms O'Halloran.
"This seems the only way for this kind of thing to stop.
"We don't have Sophia any more.
"We have nothing else to do but to fight for her and to make sure that no other child is taken away from their parents so early."
The campaign - called Sophia's Cause - includes a Facebook page and an online petition, which has already gathered hundreds of signatures.
Amanda O'Halloran and Chris Parslow want the issue debated in Parliament in the hope that something positive can come from their family's tragedy.
BBC News - Sophia Parslow's parents bid for window blind cords ban
It is an awful way to lose a child but then I did a quick Google search & found some other stats -
"The annual road casualty figures for Great Britain in 2012, published today by the Department for Transport (DfT), show that overall road deaths fell by 8 per cent to 1,754 in 2012."
"According to government statistics, each year more than two thirds of accidental fires in Scottish homes - over 3,500 annually - are caused by electricity[i], and Christmas lights can pose a significant risk if they are faulty or not used properly."
"NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde has launched the project after doctors in Yorkhill A&E at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children reported an increase in admissions due to youngsters ingesting liquitabs. Medics treated 18 children in 2010/11 but are now seeing an average of two cases every month."
"David Walker, RoSPA’s leisure safety manager, said: “RoSPA’s National Water Safety Seminar is held every 18 months, providing a valuable opportunity to meet fellow water safety professionals and hear about the latest developments in the sector. With around 400 water deaths each year, plus many more injuries, it’s important to be able to discuss how we can move forward to tackle this issue together. The new water safety strategy will play an important role in this and we are delighted that it will be introduced at the seminar.”
So should we ban bicycles? Electricity? Cloths washing liquid? Water?