Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bear Grylls installs huge metal slide on his private island

Default Bear Grylls installs huge metal slide on his private island

As a supreme adventurer, he is already skilled in battling the elements, wrestling crocodiles and eating creepy crawlies to survive.
    But Bear Grylls may be about to take on his most formidable opponent – council bureaucrats.
    Officials are angry after the explorer erected a long slide into the sea on his remote North Wales island without permission. They are demanding a meeting with Grylls over ‘health and safety’ concerns.
    The former SAS soldier, 39, bought St Tudwal’s West, which lies around a mile off the Llyn peninsula, with his wife, Shara, for £95,000 in 2000.

Safety concerns: On Monday Mr Grylls posted this picture of the slide on his Twitter account saying: 'New slide attached at home on our island! You hit the water very fast!!!!' which then sparked the investigation

The couple, who have three sons, aged between four and nine, divide their time between the island, where they have renovated a 100-year-old former lighthouse keeper’s cottage, and their other home, a Dutch barge, in London.
    On Monday, Grylls took to Twitter to say he had installed a slide on the cliffs, which rise to 80ft in places, for his sons to use. Alongside a picture of the metal slide, he said: ‘New slide attached at home on our island! You hit the water very fast!!!!’

Island life: St.Tudwal's Island (West), off Abersoch, North Wales with Bear Grylls and his wife Shara

TV star: Mr Grylls, who is the star of Born Survivor (pictured), has removed the slide image from Twitter. The council said the slide can only be used for two hours a day due to the tide

But the announcement was not received well by officers from Gwynedd Council, who confirmed they are investigating as the 20-acre island is in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
    Councillor Wyn Williams said: ‘I have been told that the slide can only be used a couple of hours a day due to the tide.
    ‘However, I don’t believe you should be allowed to erect a slide in an area of outstanding natural beauty such as St Tudwal’s before going through correct procedures.
    I am concerned that an accident could happen, since there have been no discussions with planning or the health and safety department of Gwynedd Council.’
    Grylls has submitted an application to build a £580,000 harbour at St Tudwal’s West to improve access.

Home: St Tudwals Island (pictured in the distance) is just off the Abersoch coastline in North Wales. Councillors fear there could be an accident on the slide and planning permission could be required

Beauty spot: The island, which Mr Grylls bought in 2001, is about 2,000ft long and about 650ft wide

Picturesque: St Tudwal's Island West off Lleyn Peninsula. Mr Grylls and his family split their time between the island and their Dutch barge in London

Idyllic: Eton-educated Mr Grylls pictured on his island with his wife. The couple have three sons together

According to the application the current jetty is ‘exposed’ and arrival and exit to the island can sometimes be ‘dangerous.’
    Edward ‘Bear’ Grylls, famous for his TV series Born Survivor, became at the age of 23 one of the youngest people to climb Everest, but Gwynedd Council planning committee could prove a bigger obstacle.
    ‘I would presume that planning permission would be needed,’ said vice-chairman, Michael Sol Owen.

Read more: Bear Grylls facing safety probe after installing huge slide into sea on his private island | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I didn't even read the article. I was more intrigued by how hideous he looks with longer hair and how his wife's face looks like a foot.
    Rusalka, JerriBlank and Lalique like this.

That slide looks crazy dangerous.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Dumbass.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

He looks about 17 in those pics with his wife.
    C_is_for_Cookie and Sylkyn like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^ I was thinking the same thing.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I've never watched his show, but I got this petition signature request from change.org today:

In a clip from Man vs Wild (formerly on The Discovery Channel) Bear Grylls used smoke to flush bats from a cave and then struck the fleeing, terrified animals with a makeshift club and stomped on them with what seemed to be glee, jokingly referring to it as “bat tennis.”
    Yes, this actually happened, and it is not an isolated incident. Aside from bats, Bear has killed alligators, monitor lizards, capybaras and even boas. None of these animals are killed in anywhere near a humane manner; they are simply beaten to death for the amusement of the viewing public.

This can’t be overstated enough: for those who care about animals, the videos available online showing his frequent atrocities are very, very difficult to watch. If you seek them out to see for yourself, please be aware of this.

In replying to email complaints about the show, The Discovery Channel defended itself by saying that Bear was imparting valuable survival information and, unbelievably, that it was his Bear’s “style!” Such “stylistic” concerns as applied to people comprises much of the notoriety of serial killers. As for the conveyance of vital survival tips, opting to beat, kill and eat whatever animals are near is very clearly a rash and inadvisable course of action. Real survival experts - the ones who actually survive in the wilderness rather than preen their sad macho survivalist fantasies on television - say that pretty much everything Bear Grylls does or says to do will get you killed. There is no worthwhile information whatsoever that can only be conveyed by filming oneself killing innocent, healthy animals, and terrorizing and bludgeoning sleeping bats right at their doorstep.
    Let us not forget that Bear Grylls was exposed for staying in hotels overnight while filming a show that falsely portrayed him as embattled by harsh wilderness.

Profiting from the utterly pointless killing of these bats - and all animals - is unilaterally unacceptable, and while the show may now be cancelled, Discovery still has the video and others like it up for viewing on their website, meaning that they as well as Bear are still profiting from engineering, perpetrating and showing the deaths of these innocent animals to audiences worldwide.
    Please contact those responsible for fouling our televisions with his presence. Please also feel free to join the Bear Barbaric Bear Grylls Facebook page to voice your opinion: https://www.facebook.com/BoycottBarbaricBearGrylls
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

^^He sounds like an asshole.

That slide looks ridiculously dangerous for his kids, ages 4 - 9, to use. Maybe it's the picture, but it looks like small cliffs into the sea.

Eh, maybe his kids should use it.

They had one of those slides at my brother's summer camp. He said it was terrifying, heh, but we're not really dare devils in my family
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Bronze Member

My ISLAND = do whatever I want. I can keep my own kids safe without government interference thankyouverymuch! Fuck, he put a slide off the side of his mountain, who the fuck cares! Back off and buy your own island!!!!

Spaghetti!!!
    Lalique and faithanne like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

I bet if he wanted to erect a fucking great wind turbine on HIS island the local council elf n safety nazis would say Yes and pay him thousands in taxpayers £££££ to deface the entire landscape.

Yes, he looks like a fug teen with long hair. Hes a born again Krazy Kristeen which doesn't help. Hes a legend in his own lifetime according to him.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

So the Derreck Badger character in Chomp is based on this douche bag.

He looks like a different person in the pictures with his wife. I thought it was their son. He's really ugly in that last photo. I wonder how long it would take for the paramedics to come if there is an accident. Anyone remember the episode on Man vs. Wild when he slept inside of a camel, and drank water from it's water reservoir?
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

His kids are called Jesse, Marmaduke and Huckleberry. Perhaps the slide isn't such a bad idea?...
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information