Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from "Messiah"

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Tenn. judge changes infant's name from "Messiah"

A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week,according to WBIR-TV. The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

"Parents, not the government, have the right to name their child. While the Judge certainly has the right to her religious beliefs, she cannot impose her faith on those who appear before her in her courtroom. Selecting your child's name is a very personal and private decision that belongs to the parents and not to a Judge whose decision is driven by her religious faith," said Hedy Weinberg, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union in Tennessee (ACLU), in an email to CBSNews.com.

The judge said it was the first time she ordered a first name change.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

Ballew said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings — Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.
    Tenn. judge changes infant's name from "Messiah" - CBS News

It's pretty fucked up calling your kid Messiah but it's even more fucked up that some religious nut job authority figure says you can't.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Remember when Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane wanted to name her daughter "god"?
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Naming your kid something like that should be an automatic revokation of child bearing rights! BOL, seriously - Messiah?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

If only there were more cases like this, we'd be saved a slew of Jermajestys and Pilot Inspektors and Blue Ivys and Tu Morrows.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Although a stupid name, there are certainly many more that are worse. Why are those names not brought up in court? Because they don't have a religious connotation? This should be overturned. Either that or bring in Kim and Kanye into court and change their baby's stupid name first.
    lizzybabe likes this.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

The judge has over stepped her legal bounds I think. So, it should be overturned. And then these two morons (parents) can carry on screwing with their kid.
    Lalique likes this.

I guess Tennessee needs to round up all the Jesus(es) and make them change their names as well.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I'm a practicing Catholic, and I don't even find the name 'Messiah' offensive. It's not one I would ever choose, but there are far worse names that are going to get the child a lot more ridicule (North West, Blue Ivy, Apple, Bluebell, Rainbow Aurora... all celeb babies). While I haven't heard "Messiah" used as a baby name before, plenty of people have religiously inspired names, including the name Jesus, which is widely used among Spanish-speaking moms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Remember when Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane wanted to name her daughter "god"?
    yes I do remember that. I was probably 13 or 14 then, and remember thinking what an ass she was.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post

A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week,according to WBIR-TV. The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

"Parents, not the government, have the right to name their child. While the Judge certainly has the right to her religious beliefs, she cannot impose her faith on those who appear before her in her courtroom. Selecting your child's name is a very personal and private decision that belongs to the parents and not to a Judge whose decision is driven by her religious faith," said Hedy Weinberg, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union in Tennessee (ACLU), in an email to CBSNews.com.

The judge said it was the first time she ordered a first name change.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

Ballew said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings — Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.
    Tenn. judge changes infant's name from "Messiah" - CBS News
    I think Cocke County should get a name-change.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    I think Cocke County should get a name-change.
    Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    ...plenty of people have religiously inspired names, including the name Jesus...
    That's a great point, hadn't thought of that

Gold Member

While the parents are jackasses for giving the kid the name "Messiah", it's their right to give their child a weird name if they want to. No judge should be able to force a parent to rename a child.

what a little cutie though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information