Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Family rescued after 3 months at sea - left USA for religious reasons

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Default Family rescued after 3 months at sea - left USA for religious reasons

Family with two small children who abandoned the US for religious reasons and attempted to sail across the Pacific are rescued after THREE MONTHS lost at sea

• Gastonguay family left northern Arizona home in November to live on a boat in San Diego
    • Set sail from San Diego in May for Kiribati, a tiny island nation 3,300 miles from the U.S.
    • Parents carried newborn infant and three-year-old daughter with them
    • Gastonguays believed they needed to flee U.S. because of acceptance of gays and abortion
    • Their small boat was beset by storms and disabled within weeks
    • Drifted at sea for nearly three months and ran low on supplies
    • Was picked up by passing freighter and dropped off in Chile on Friday

An extremist religious family with two small children have been rescued after being lost of sea for nearly three months when they attempted to abandon the U.S. in a small boat and sail 3,300 miles to the Polynesian island nation of Kiribati.

The Gastonguays from northern Arizona set sail from San Diego in May with their newborn infant and 3-year-old daughter after deciding to 'take a leap of faith and see where God led us.' They believed that they needed to flee the nation because of what they see as government support for homosexuality and abortions and restrictions on their religious freedom.

The family were almost immediately beset by storms that overwhelmed their small vessel and their limited nautical knowledge. They drifted for months and were running law on supplies before they were picked up by a passing tanker.

On Friday the family landed in Chile and are expected to be flow home today on flights book by the U.S. State Department.

Rescued: Hannah Gastonguay, her baby Rahab, husband Sean and the couple's 3-year-old daughter Ardith, were lost at sea for nearly three months

The months-long journey has been 'pretty exciting' and 'little scary at certain points,' 26-year-old Hannah Gastonguay told The Associated Press by telephone on Saturday.

She said they wanted to go to Kiribati because 'we didn't want to go anywhere big.' She said they believed the island to be 'one of the least developed countries in the world.'
    Kiribati is a group of islands just off the equator and the international date line about halfway between Hawaii and Australia - more than 3,000 miles from the U.S. coastline. The total population is just over 100,000 people of primarily Micronesian descent.

The nation has a long history with missionaries and is 96percent Christian. It has a higher Human Development Index than South Africa or India.

Hannah Gastonguay said her family was fed up with government control in the U.S. As Christians they don't believe in 'abortion, homosexuality, in the state-controlled church,' she said.

'We were in the thick of it, but we prayed. Being out on that boat, I just knew I was going to see some miracles.'
    Hannah Gastonguay, 26, on being lost at sea with her two children

U.S. 'churches aren't their own,' Gastonguay said, suggesting that government regulation interfered with religious independence.
    Among other differences, she said they had a problem with being 'forced to pay these taxes that pay for abortions we don't agree with.'
    The Gastonguays weren't members of any church, and Hannah Gastonguay said their faith came from reading the Bible and through prayer.
    'The Bible is pretty clear,' she said.
    The family moved in November from Ash Fork, Arizona, to San Diego, where they lived on their boat as they prepared to set sail. She said she gave birth to the couple's 8-month-old girl on the boat, which was docked in a slip at the time.
    In May, Hannah, her 30-year-old husband Sean, his father Mike, and the couple's daughters, 3-year-old Ardith and baby Rahab set off. They wouldn't touch land again for 91 days, she said.

Across the sea: This is the remarkable journey of the Gastonguay family, who put to sea in May and is returning home on Sunday

She said at first, 'We were cruising.'
    But within a couple of weeks 'when we came out there, storm, storm, storm.'

The boat had taken a beating, and they decided to set course for the Marquesas Islands. Instead, they found themselves in a 'twilight zone,' taking more and more damage, leaving them unable to make progress.
    They could have used a sail called a genoa, she said, but they risked snapping off the mast and losing their radio and ability to communicate.

'They were looking for a kind of adventure; they wanted to live on a Polynesian island but they didn't have sufficient expertise to navigate adequately.'
    Chilean police prefect Jose Luis Lope

They had been on the ocean for about two months and were low on supplies. They were out of food and were down to 'some juice and some honey.' She said they were able to catch fish, but they didn't see any boats.
    Still, we 'didn't feel like we were going to die or anything. We believed God would see us through,' she said.
    At one point a fishing ship came into contact with them but left without providing assistance. A Canadian cargo ship came along and offered supplies, but when they pulled up alongside it, the vessels bumped and the smaller ship sustained even more damage.
    They were getting hit by 'squall after, squall, after squall.'
    'We were in the thick of it, but we prayed,' she said. 'Being out on that boat, I just knew I was going to see some miracles.'
    They watched the surrounding storms disperse, and 'next thing you know the sun is out. It's amazing.'
    Rescued: Sean Gastonguay, seen here with his 3-year-old daughter Ardit, is lucky to be alive after being rescued by a Venezuelan tanker and a Japanese freighter

Eventually, their boat was spotted by a helicopter that had taken off from a nearby Venezuelan fishing vessel, which ended up saving them.
    'The captain said, "Do you know where you're at? You're in the middle of nowhere,"' she said.
    They were on the Venezuelan ship for about five days before transferring to the Japanese cargo ship, where they were for nearly three weeks before landing in Chile on Friday. The Chilean newspaper Las Ultimas Noticias reported the story of their arrival.
    'They were looking for a kind of adventure; they wanted to live on a Polynesian island but they didn't have sufficient expertise to navigate adequately,' police prefect Jose Luis Lopez, who took the family's statement at San Antonio, told the newspaper.
    Sean Gastonguay's brother Jimmy, who lives in Arizona, said he had provided a description of the family's vessel to the U.S. Coast Guard and exchanged emails with them once they were picked up by the first boat.
    'There was some concern, but we were hoping for the best, and they eventually popped up,' he said. He was able to keep track of the family with the help of the Coast Guard as they were transferred from ship to ship.
    'We're all happy. We have good peace of mind now,' he said.
    Hannah Gastonguay said the family will now 'go back to Arizona' and 'come up with a new plan.'

Read more: Gastonguay family abandoned U.S. for religious reasons and sailed for Kiribati; was lost at sea for 3 months | Mail Online

Wiki information on Kiribati for anyone who wants a better idea of the family's idea of paradise. It's not somewhere that I'd want to move to.

Kiribati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

2 small children on an ocean crossing?? They should lose custody ASAP
    McJag, msdeb, lizzybabe and 5 others like this.

because they don't believe in homosexuality and abortion? guess it makes sense to risk the lives of your children because you're religious fucknuts.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Among other differences, she said they had a problem with being 'forced to pay these taxes that pay for abortions we don't agree with.

I'm off to lunch and to have a quick taxpayer funded abortion......

freaking assholes.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

nope that wasn't a sign from God that you're a fucking idiot (the storms). Couldn't have been God telling you to go home and reevaluate your idiotic views, nah couldn't be that
    C_is_for_Cookie and nancydrew like this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

These publishers need a goddamn copy editor...
    CornFlakegrl and nancydrew like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Oh but they had to go Shed! Kiribati sounds like a totally awesome place!

In June 2008, Kiribati officials asked Australia and New Zealand to accept Kiribati citizens as permanent refugees. Kiribati is expected to be the first country to lose all its land territory to global climate change. In June 2008, the Kiribati president Anote Tong said that the country has reached "...the point of no return." He added, "To plan for the day when you no longer have a country is indeed painful but I think we have to do that."

Kiribati is one of the world's poorest countries. It has few natural resources. Commercially viable phosphate deposits on Banaba were exhausted at the time of independence. Copra and fish now represent the bulk of production and exports. Kiribati is considered one of the least developed countries in the world. In one form or another, Kiribati gets a large portion of its income from abroad. Examples include fishing licenses, development assistance, worker remittances, and tourism. Given Kiribati's limited domestic production ability, it must import nearly all of its essential foodstuffs and manufactured items; it depends on these external sources of income for financing.

The population of Kiribati has a life expectancy at birth of 60 years (57 for males, and 63 for females) and an infant mortality rate of 54 deaths per 1,000 live births.[6] Tuberculosis is present in the country.[51] Government expenditure on health was at US$268 per capita (PPP) in 2006.[52] In 1990–2007, there were 23 physicians per 100,000 persons.[53] Since the arrival of Cuban doctors, the infant mortality rate has decreased significantly.[54]
    Most health problems are related to consumption of semi-raw seafood, limited amount of food storage facilities, and bacterial contamination of fresh water supplies. In the early 2000s, between 1 and 7% of the population, depending on the island, were annually treated for food poisoning in a hospital. Modernization and cross-cultural exchange of the late 1900s brought new issues of unhealthy diet and lifestyle; heavy smoking, especially among the young population; and external infections, including HIV/AIDS

Sounds like a marvellous place! When can I start sailing?

Oh and here's why these numpties probably chose the island.

LGBT rights in Kiribati

Kiribati
    Same-sex sexual activity legal? Anal penetration illegal regardless of sex
    Penalty:
    Up to 14 years in prison
    Discrimination protections No
    Family rights
    Recognition of
    relationships
    No
    Adoption No
    Homosexual acts are illegal in Kiribati. The Penal Code sections 153, 154 and 155 outlaws anal intercourse regardless of sex.[1]
    Unnatural Offences 153. Any person who- (a) commits buggery with another person or with an animal; or (b) permits a male person to commit buggery with him or her, shall be guilty of a felony, and shall be liable to imprisonment for 14 years.
    Attempts to commit unnatural offences and indecent assaults 154. Any person who attempts to commit any of the offences it specified in the last preceding section, or who is guilty of any assault with intent to commit the same, or any indecent assault upon any male person shall be guilty of a felony, and shall be liable to imprisonment for 7 years.
    Indecent practices between males 155. Any male person who, whether in public or private, commits any act of gross indecency with another male person, or procures another male person to commit any act of gross indecency with him, or attempts to procure the commission of any such act by any male person with himself or with another male person, whether in public or private, shall be guilty of a felony, and shall be liable to imprisonment for 5 years.

LGBT rights in Kiribati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Fucking loonies.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

One of the most irresponsible, lunatic things I've ever heard of. Swiss Family Robinson they ain't.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

They said they were going wherever the Lord led them. He dropped their asses off in Chile, so why didn't they stay there? They're thwarting the will of the Lord!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That poor three year old looks terrified.
    rockchick and McJag like this.

Why didn't they just fly?

That poor little girl looks terrified.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

She's probably never seen normal people before.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    They said they were going wherever the Lord led them. He dropped their asses off in Chile, so why didn't they stay there? They're thwarting the will of the Lord!
    No, the Japanese cargo ship already thwarted the will of the lord. He wanted them to drift aimlessly until they died of starvation.
    rockchick likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

God's answer was to spank their asses with storm after storm after storm.

Really, if I were a person of faith, I'd see all sorts of messages from God in this little trip. And I might start to question my position on things because of it.
    McJag and shedevilang like this.

Gold Member

Notice how these fucktards (and others like them) never move to places like Russia, Somalia, Sudan, Chechnya, etc. where homosexuality and/or abortion are mostly illegal and there are few, if any, taxes? If they hate the U.S. so much, they should have stayed in Chile and not come back to the U.S.
    BBDSP, Sarzy and Brookie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information